Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

More On The Saga Of The Squeaky Brakes

Joglea

hello, there are now 60k km on the clock, sine about 500 km the brakes have been very bad, all of them have been replaced and due to be replaced again. now the sqeak when i drive without even touching the brakes. it is embrassing to drive in built up areas and noticed also brakes begining to fade slightly. this has gone on long enough, tried varoious "quick fixes" any other tips

Denis did u get rid of the squeak?? my car is now in the exact same situation as yours!!! Think i'm gonna have to go back to the dealer!!

Mine goes in this Thursday for the washer jets and front brake squeal problems..........here's hoping....

sorry for the late reply, it was due for a service and said i would STRESS about the brakes to the garage, its a bit better but i fear it will return to what i had before, it is the only problem i have but its a nuisance and on top on that, when you reverse and brake to slow down, that was when it was worse, let me know how you get on with it

Mine is in today for the brake modification, i hope they have this fixed... The explanation they gave me on the brake issue is due to the fact that they no longer use asbestos... Is that what they told you guys here?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alexaurisTR

• T Sport 1978

• Hudders

• phild612

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hello, there are now 60k km on the clock, sine about 500 km the brakes have been very bad, all of them have been replaced and due to be replaced again. now the sqeak when i drive without even touching the brakes. it is embrassing to drive in built up areas and noticed also brakes begining to fade slightly. this has gone on long enough, tried varoious "quick fixes" any other tips

Denis did u get rid of the squeak?? my car is now in the exact same situation as yours!!! Think i'm gonna have to go back to the dealer!!

Mine goes in this Thursday for the washer jets and front brake squeal problems..........here's hoping....

sorry for the late reply, it was due for a service and said i would STRESS about the brakes to the garage, its a bit better but i fear it will return to what i had before, it is the only problem i have but its a nuisance and on top on that, when you reverse and brake to slow down, that was when it was worse, let me know how you get on with it

Mine is in today for the brake modification, i hope they have this fixed... The explanation they gave me on the brake issue is due to the fact that they no longer use asbestos... Is that what they told you guys here?

Have had mine back for a few days now and its been totally noise free.

New calipers and pads all round apparently, big job.

Very happy. :yahoo:

Had the front and rear brakes done about 1500 miles ago now..............all's quiet still!! :thumbsup:

Well well,

i spoke too soon, 1 week after they supposedly cleaned my brakes out.

and the squeak is back. :crybaby:

off i go to the dealer tomorrow, again!!

The thing is i don't really know what to say to them this time round. i spoke to a member of the service team and he said that the breaks probably need bedding in. i wasn't very nice to this gentleman as i don't expect my brand new motor to be squeaking its way around north wales.... :censor:

Haven't been on the site for ages so I just thought I'd check it out to see if there is anymore on the squeaky brakes issue.

Mine are still squeaking like mad so I can feel another visit to Toyota World coming on. Toyota Customer Service did write to me saying that they have got a fix for the sqeak but that it wouldn't be available until end spring beginning Summer which is about now I suppose. Not only do the brakes sqeal big time but there is a grinding noise as well now. What this space! :(

Well well,

The thing is i don't really know what to say to them this time round. i spoke to a member of the service team and he said that the breaks probably need bedding in. i wasn't very nice to this gentleman as i don't expect my brand new motor to be squeaking its way around north wales.... :censor:

Haven't been on the site for ages so I just thought I'd check it out to see if there is anymore on the squeaky brakes issue.

Mine are still squeaking like mad so I can feel another visit to Toyota World coming on. Toyota Customer Service did write to me saying that they have got a fix for the sqeak but that it wouldn't be available until end spring beginning Summer which is about now I suppose. Not only do the brakes sqeal big time but there is a grinding noise as well now. What this space! :(

Find yourself another dealer. That simply is not good enough. The parts that they change seems to be modified versions of the standard brake parts. so it should be readily available.

I went into my local Jemca in Croydon and they booked me in straight away and i got my car back in the same week that i walked in without an appointment.

Well well,

HI

I'm curious to know if you have had the modified brake parts fitted once already? and if so has it not worked?

My car went in, in early may for the modified brake pads & calliper shims , and fingers crossed, after 250 miles all is still beautifully quiet.. from the front that is, however, i am still waiting for the modified brake parts for the rear, which on occasion omit a mooing grinding sound, when reverse braking, usually in the wet.

The high pitch squeal, that i experienced, came from the front brakes, the squeal happens when the brake pads move slightly in the callipers, causing a resenance between the two, hence the high pitch squeal.

To cure the problem toyota fit modified brake pads and calliper shims, and as i have said, the squeal from the front breaks has gone now :yahoo:

The modified brake parts , as i have learned are in short supply, so its a case of bideing your time untill the parts arrive... goodluck :thumbsup:

can squeaking be caused by the car been out in the rain for a long period of time. ive had on and off little squeaks within two weeks of getting my yaris. went into the garage and because they didnt hear anything when they took it out they said there was no problem. but as soon as i get home it starts again. how the heck are you supposed to sort it? anyway after the car was out in standing rain for around 10 hrs i heard the worse squeaking i had heard.not just a squeak as u come to a stop but a longer drawn out one as you slow down this has happened quite a few times.just wondering if its something to do with the brakes being wet and needing to dry out? why do the brakes just pick and chose when to squeak sometimes not hearing anything for days and then hearing it several times.how does it work?

I really don't want tempt fate but,

I had my breaks done front and rear, the works over a month ago now and everything is quiet. :thumbsup:

My dealer told me it was down to the resonance or vibration of the pads on the discs that caused the squeal.

Who cares as long as they sort it. :yes:

I really don't want tempt fate but,

I had my breaks done front and rear, the works over a month ago now and everything is quiet. :thumbsup:

My dealer told me it was down to the resonance or vibration of the pads on the discs that caused the squeal.

Who cares as long as they sort it. :yes:

I was told because they no longer use asbestos in the pads and therefore caused the problems?

Hi Everyone

Another bit of the saga of the squeaky brakes on my Auris TR which I took delivery of on 1st December.

We've now done just over 500 miles and today for the 3rd time the car has gone back to the dealer for more work on the brakes.

We received a letter from Toyota GB basically just sweeping the problem under the carpet by saying that the dealer will sort it when then obviously can't - although 10/10 for trying - and they have admitted this morning that there is a major problem that nobody seems to be able to get to the bottom of.

The brakes pads were changed about 2 weeks ago but the noise has gradually become louder so today all the pads were chamfered and deglazed yet again. I was taken into the workshop and shown the discs and and could quite clearly see where scoring is taking place. However, the service manager told me that if this doesn't work then they will once again change all the pads back and front. I have say he was very helpful so that made it a bit easier.

What I really can't get my head around Toyota GB not appearing to be interested.

I wrote to Customer services within a week or so of having the car and it took them weeks and a number of prompts by email and fax to respond by which time things had moved on. They don't seem to understand that nobody wants to drive around in a new car that has problems - its is the pride and joy of most people especially since it will have cost an arm & a leg in first place, so Toyota could really do with being a bit more sympathetic - afterall it is their product and if it were as easy to take it back to the dealer and change it for another or get a refund like you would with any new product that is sub-standard I'm sure they would be doing things a bit differently.

SO IF ANYONE FROM TOYOTA GB IS READING THIS - COME ON GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER, SORT THESE PROBLEMS AND SHOW A BIT MORE INTEREST.

One thing that has been sorted today is the wash wipe. Believe or not the dealer has no knowledge of replacement washer jets being available and neither did the lady from Toyota GB who responded to my letter - how scary is that - but the service manager either looked on this web site because I told him about it or contacted someone else who did know.

So a big thank you to everyone who wrote about the replacement washer jets - at least I'll be able to see where I'm going now - hopefully!

has your dealer added "Sticky Shims" (as used in Avensis pads) when replacing the pads? Also they should be skimming the discs as advised by technical. These are all claimable under the warranty stystem. Other than these measusres there is no further advancement on the the problem with Auris brakes.

Although my brakes are perhaps not as bad as some, our first service is coming up so I thought I would mention this to the local Mr T dealer as they do squeak now and then, perhaps moreso when reversing. The dealer indicated that they would preorder the bits (in case needed) but would check on the day as it is down to the chassis number as to which vehicles are affected. Has anyone else heard of this? As far as I am concerend, if they need doing, they need doing

The T-SPIRIT I had before i changed it last week suffered from squeeky/grinding brakes when reversing. My dealer replaced the rear calliper hangers with modified ones problem was sorted. They tried the sticky shimms first but this made the problem 10 times worse

So far no problems on my T180 however the salesman did say that all the known problems is brakes/windscreenwashers, etc had been addressed as it was an ex demonstrator.

• 1 month later...

New to the forum. Bought a 10 month old Auris 3 weeks ago. After I bought it I noticed the squeak (not present on the test drive), googled it and discovered this forum and this issue. Called the dealer and the guy in parts said it was a known issue and modified parts were available.

Took it in today to have the modified parts fitted. Drove the 5 miles home without a squeak, left the car for a couple of hours, went out again and the squeak is there again. Anybody else share this experience or have the modified parts sorted the problem (I'm afraid I don't know exactly what parts were replaced woth what modified parts)?

Although my brakes are perhaps not as bad as some, our first service is coming up so I thought I would mention this to the local Mr T dealer as they do squeak now and then, perhaps moreso when reversing. The dealer indicated that they would preorder the bits (in case needed) but would check on the day as it is down to the chassis number as to which vehicles are affected. Has anyone else heard of this? As far as I am concerend, if they need doing, they need doing

I make you absolutely right Doobs

When my dealership took my car in, they only did the front brakes, even though modified parts had been ordered for back & front,

They explained that when they tested my brakes, there was no noise coming from the rear.

It took a few phone calls, and then a face to face with the service manager, to eventually get the rear done

Some dealers will try it on, and fail to change stuff that actually needs doing, even though its covered under warranty

so be firm and tell them that front and back need rectifying, wether they hear them squeak or not, cos like you said, if they need doing, they need doing

:thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to labour this point, but has anyone had success with the modified parts? And if so, do they know what parts were done?

I had no luck with them, then it went back in on Monday for a second check and clean out and still the same.

Is there any way to find if there is any of the EBC brakepads that will fit he Auris T180/2,2D-CAT.

I like their products so I was thinking of giving the uppgrade/pads try for my car if any fits.

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/Assets/2008_UK_Au...e_Catalogue.pdf

Page 310 have illustrations with measures

i guess it is 1792 in front and 1793 i Rear (page 313), Because i know that the new RAV4 2006-> uses the same discs on the diesels as the Auris 2.0 & 2,2 Diesels does.

I will maybe have time to measure my pads next week, If they are the same I will try the 61792 & 61793 on my car.

post-47097-1218800465_thumb.jpg

Sorry to labour this point, but has anyone had success with the modified parts? And if so, do they know what parts were done?

I had no luck with them, then it went back in on Monday for a second check and clean out and still the same.

Mine had rear caliper type things, and front brakes were skimmed about 6 weeks ago - so far all ok

• 1 month later...

I am on 3rd fit - now ok when going forward (after 2000 mles of 'wearing in') problem now in reverse even when not braking. The rear edge of brake pad rubs - having it sorted as I type! 6 visits to garage over last 10 months is poor tho

• 2 weeks later...
I booked mine in to be looked at under warranty. I was told that the "squeeky brake" problem does not apply to the Japanese build models (I purchased in the UK) - so they cleaned off what they said was slightly excessive brake dust - front & back and said that that should fix the problem.

It hasnt.

Its more of a grind than a squeek - sounding as though I still have the hand brake on and only happens when I reverse.

Anybody get the same?

Cheers

Hello Mikeh.

İ Have exactly the same problem with my auris. İ went to the toyota and after working with my car for 3 hours they told me that they ''fixed the problem'' but it was a myth :D because brake started make the same noise again. So i still have the same problem. İ have no idea what to do.....

I did leave my car for service today and whined about the rear brakes so the servicemanager made a note on it.

When i picked up the car they have put on new calipers/pads in the rear and the squeaky noice is gone.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links