Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

More On The Saga Of The Squeaky Brakes

Joglea

Hi Everyone

Another bit of the saga of the squeaky brakes on my Auris TR which I took delivery of on 1st December.

We've now done just over 500 miles and today for the 3rd time the car has gone back to the dealer for more work on the brakes.

We received a letter from Toyota GB basically just sweeping the problem under the carpet by saying that the dealer will sort it when then obviously can't - although 10/10 for trying - and they have admitted this morning that there is a major problem that nobody seems to be able to get to the bottom of.

The brakes pads were changed about 2 weeks ago but the noise has gradually become louder so today all the pads were chamfered and deglazed yet again. I was taken into the workshop and shown the discs and and could quite clearly see where scoring is taking place. However, the service manager told me that if this doesn't work then they will once again change all the pads back and front. I have say he was very helpful so that made it a bit easier.

What I really can't get my head around Toyota GB not appearing to be interested.

I wrote to Customer services within a week or so of having the car and it took them weeks and a number of prompts by email and fax to respond by which time things had moved on. They don't seem to understand that nobody wants to drive around in a new car that has problems - its is the pride and joy of most people especially since it will have cost an arm & a leg in first place, so Toyota could really do with being a bit more sympathetic - afterall it is their product and if it were as easy to take it back to the dealer and change it for another or get a refund like you would with any new product that is sub-standard I'm sure they would be doing things a bit differently.

SO IF ANYONE FROM TOYOTA GB IS READING THIS - COME ON GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER, SORT THESE PROBLEMS AND SHOW A BIT MORE INTEREST.

One thing that has been sorted today is the wash wipe. Believe or not the dealer has no knowledge of replacement washer jets being available and neither did the lady from Toyota GB who responded to my letter - how scary is that - but the service manager either looked on this web site because I told him about it or contacted someone else who did know.

So a big thank you to everyone who wrote about the replacement washer jets - at least I'll be able to see where I'm going now - hopefully!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alexaurisTR

• mbrennan29

• Hudders

• phild612

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So a big thank you to everyone who wrote about the replacement washer jets - at least I'll be able to see where I'm going now - hopefully!

That'll be me then, :D:

I only found out because I looked into it, I have never seen that type of jet on any car (where it can't be adjusted) so I think many dealers will be suprised when they look into it, to be fair, it's not something you are asked everyday

Kingo :thumbsup:

That'll be me then, :D:

I only found out because I looked into it, I have never seen that type of jet on any car (where it can't be adjusted) so I think many dealers will be suprised when they look into it, to be fair, it's not something you are asked everyday

Hi Kingo

You're absolutely right its not an everyday thing but I did expect Toyota GB to know and maybe let their dealers know - or is that asking too much?

Anyway enough moaning for today. Next question. What would you recommend to use on the windows to remove the wax or whatever they treat the car with prior to delivery. We just can't get our windows clean. The front screen and the drivers door window in particular are the worst presumably because they are used the most but the drivers door if its wet and for some reason you have to put the window down when its back up again you can't see through it, it seems to be smeared with something. Any ideas. We've tried the usual ready made cleaning solutions and hot soapy water, and just hot water and a good chammie but nothing seems to work - any ideas?

Ye sometimes this things happen not only in Toyota but other companies in the world. When you are selling something trough someone you have to make sure you have an open contact there and that they receive all the information. Maybe its the country representative's fault because they don't communicate with the dealers openly and give them training. Sometimes it's a type of security, this way they won't have dealers calling them with problems every day they can relax and deal with the serious problems only. Maybe if they had a direct contact with Toyota Europe or Japan would be better sometimes because its direct and you are talking with someone from the HQ. These country representatives are just a face nothing else they should be responsible of giving training and information to the dealers but sometimes they don't. So far I contacted 2 times Toyota Europe directly just because I know how things work, answers would take forever to be answered and probably I would receive an incomplete or incorrect answer. So far Toyota Europe Tech support as been very helpful.

What would you recommend to use on the windows to remove the wax or whatever they treat the car with prior to delivery. We just can't get our windows clean. The front screen and the drivers door window in particular are the worst presumably because they are used the most but the drivers door if its wet and for some reason you have to put the window down when its back up again you can't see through it, it seems to be smeared with something. Any ideas. We've tried the usual ready made cleaning solutions and hot soapy water, and just hot water and a good chammie but nothing seems to work - any ideas?

Hi, I am not sure if that is the best method but worked for me. I cleaned the windscreens with window cleaner and then turned on A/C hot air to dry it up. Looks nice and clean now.

You're absolutely right its not an everyday thing but I did expect Toyota GB to know and maybe let their dealers know - or is that asking too much?

Far from being starved of information, we are very often bombarded with information :eek: It can be difficult to know everything that is going on for every model. In an ideal world we would know everything, but some things are more important than others and you tend to remember the important stuff. Web based information, which we get daily, is like drinking water from a fire hydrant, you can only drink so much :D:

I just had my front and rear brakes fixed - there is a design fault (which Toyota are now aware of and have redesgined a oart). This allows brake dust to clear and stopthe squeak !

• 2 weeks later...
I just had my front and rear brakes fixed - there is a design fault (which Toyota are now aware of and have redesgined a oart). This allows brake dust to clear and stopthe squeak !

Correct that last remark - the sqeak is back!

:(

mine had its first service yesterday and asked them to look at my squeaky brakes when reversing. they told me that they've modified the calipers. not squeaking "touch wood" so finger crossed.

I booked mine in to be looked at under warranty. I was told that the "squeeky brake" problem does not apply to the Japanese build models (I purchased in the UK) - so they cleaned off what they said was slightly excessive brake dust - front & back and said that that should fix the problem.

It hasnt.

Its more of a grind than a squeek - sounding as though I still have the hand brake on and only happens when I reverse.

Anybody get the same?

Cheers

With everyone complaining about brakes I must be so lucky, touch formica, as my brakes up to 13k today are perfect. Breaking distances have improved as well from fitting the Goodyear F1 Eagle Asymetrics. I have detected a new little noise coming from the glove compartment though.

I booked mine in to be looked at under warranty. I was told that the "squeeky brake" problem does not apply to the Japanese build models (I purchased in the UK) - so they cleaned off what they said was slightly excessive brake dust - front & back and said that that should fix the problem.

It hasnt.

Its more of a grind than a squeek - sounding as though I still have the hand brake on and only happens when I reverse.

Anybody get the same?

Cheers

Yep thats exactly what was happening to mine.

I took it in and they fitted modified callipers to the rear brakes, touch wood everything is squeek free so far

With everyone complaining about brakes I must be so lucky, touch formica, as my brakes up to 13k today are perfect. Breaking distances have improved as well from fitting the Goodyear F1 Eagle Asymetrics. I have detected a new little noise coming from the glove compartment though.

Lucky you!

Mine is back in again for the 3rd time - both front and rear brakes been replaced with new inproved parts. problem persists tho - much to the annoyance of my Neighbours!

I took it in and they fitted modified callipers to the rear brakes, touch wood everything is squeek free so far

So did they tell you the same thing about it being a Japanese made version and the "known issue" does not apply?

So did they tell you the same thing about it being a Japanese made version and the "known issue" does not apply?

No, sorry i should have clarified a bit more. They didn't mention anything about the car being jap built (i think mine was built in the uk) they just knew instantly when i described the squeek what the problem was and said it needed modified rear callipers. they fitted them there and then took about 40 minutes and the problem is now solved (hopefully)

• 3 weeks later...
We've now done just over 500 miles and today for the 3rd time the car has gone back to the dealer for more work on the brakes.

u to everyone who wrote about the replacement washer jets - at least I'll be able to see where I'm going now - hopefully!

Mine got to 500 miles and started. they told me it was dust and they needed cleaning which they did and the squeak has gone.

i'm glad i read this discussion thread, incase the dreaded squeak comes back..

No, sorry i should have clarified a bit more. They didn't mention anything about the car being jap built (i think mine was built in the uk) they just knew instantly when i described the squeek what the problem was and said it needed modified rear callipers. they fitted them there and then took about 40 minutes and the problem is now solved (hopefully)

The fix for the 'groan' from the rear brakes is modified pad carriers not modified calipers. Just thought i would mention it incase people are trying to get new calipers and complaining etc. :)

Mart.

Well well,

i spoke too soon, 1 week after they supposedly cleaned my brakes out.

and the squeak is back. :crybaby:

off i go to the dealer tomorrow, again!!

The thing is i don't really know what to say to them this time round. i spoke to a member of the service team and he said that the breaks probably need bedding in. i wasn't very nice to this gentleman as i don't expect my brand new motor to be squeaking its way around north wales.... :censor:

if its not happening on JPP models then it is most likely down to the calliper as uk ones have Bosch callipers and i would imagine JPP ones have Aisin

Well well,

i spoke too soon, 1 week after they supposedly cleaned my brakes out.

and the squeak is back. :crybaby:

off i go to the dealer tomorrow, again!!

The thing is i don't really know what to say to them this time round. i spoke to a member of the service team and he said that the breaks probably need bedding in. i wasn't very nice to this gentleman as i don't expect my brand new motor to be squeaking its way around north wales.... :censor:

My Auris had brakes that squeaked from day one but I noticed it less and less with time. Now, six months and 5500 miles later, they don't squeak at all. So although I understand your comment about not expecting this with a new car, it may be that the service people have a point.

My 1.6TR is really quiet and smooth to drive and I love being able to put 90+ mp3 tracks onto a single cd to play. My only diappointment is the lack of side protection which means it is vulnerable in car parks. I have already collected one dent thanks to someone else carelessly opening a door!

After my lovely day spent in a tiny Yaris, :blink: i received a call telling me my car was ready.

They cleaned the brakes out again and have ordered the modified parts that a few others have mentioned.

Obviously there's no squeak now as they are clean. Fingers crossed with these modified parts then... :unsure:

I think the 1.6Tr is a sweet drive too and i love the mp3 / wma enabled cd player, I'm absolutely over the moon with it apart from the brakes.

Mine is the 3 door and the side doors are huge, i wish there we're some decent door strips for it. I also agree with the side protection/strips or lack of...

...My only diappointment is the lack of side protection which means it is vulnerable in car parks. I have already collected one dent thanks to someone else carelessly opening a door!

So the protective door bands doesn't give some kind of side protection? :huh:

...My only diappointment is the lack of side protection which means it is vulnerable in car parks. I have already collected one dent thanks to someone else carelessly opening a door!

So the protective door bands doesn't give some kind of side protection? :huh:

what protective door bands?? :huh:

I have been told that if all who have brake problems report to their Toyota dealers and they get 5,000 or 10,000 complaints that they (Toyota) will recall all Auris models and fix the problem. Also bronze grease will fix this squeak............but then why should we do this and let Toyota off the hook.

I think its the brake pads that are to blame.

Are they (The pads) made in China?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links