Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Scraping Noises

Hogg

I wonder if anyone has had this problem.

I have had my T-sport Yaris from new (2003) just before its second service 20,000 miles i noiticed the front discs had a 0.5 inch rust mark on the outside. So i stripped them down and noticed the the inboard disc surface appeared to be melted. The car had only done 8500 miles, the service people changed both front disks and pads under warranty.

Now when i turn into a left hand bend i sometimes hear a scraping noise. It sounds like a disc problem i have cheacked under the car for the usual suspects wheel bearings, stone sheld rubbing against the disc etc etc, and i can't see anything obvious. I have a feeling its the discs again. Has anyone out there had the same problem? And if so what the bloodly hell was it. Its driving me nuts!

Thanks in advance :D

When you got new discs did you get new pads?

My brakes screamed at me when i turned slightly to the right, even when i wasn't braking.

I went to a local garage and it was the pads, they needed replacing. There is a metal bit in the pads which pretty much tells you that the pads need changing, unless you noticed the difference, which i didn't :|, then they squeel at you.

Sim

When you got new disc's did you get new pads?

My brakes screamed at me when i turned slightly to the right, even when i wasn't braking.

I went to a local garage and it was the pads, they needed replacing. There is a metal bit in the pads which pretty much tells you that the pads need changing, unless you noticed the difference, which i didn't :|, then they squeel at you.

Sim

Thank you for your reply,

The pads and the disc's were changed together on the second service (June 2005 after 8500 miles under warranty)

The noise i am getting started about 3 months ago. I have checked the pads and there seems to be plenty of meat on them. I suspect the disc's and pads need replacing yet again i was just worried if the noise could be caused by something else.

sometimes it's the metal surrounds around the discs on the back, don't know what they are called but these sometimes catch and make noises.

sometimes it's the metal surrounds around the disc's on the back, don't know what they are called but these sometimes catch and make noises.

Thank you for the info,

I had a look at those plates behind the disc's and they seem OK. Some people call them stone guards. I am not to sure what the proper name is for them myself.

Thank you again.

sometimes it's the metal surrounds around the disc's on the back, don't know what they are called but these sometimes catch and make noises.

Thank you for the info,

I had a look at those plates behind the disc's and they seem OK. Some people call them stone guards. I am not to sure what the proper name is for them myself.

Thank you again.

looking at them you won't see anything, you may need to push against them to bend them away from the discs, even if they seem fine.

You can't do anything by doing this (unless they are seriously rusted), if it gets rid of the noise then it's the metal guards, if not it's more than likely your pads

CV joints?

or bearings?

could be lots of things, does it change with speed/temperature?

G

I would guess it is rust from the old discs that is trapped between the disc plates (see above) and the new discs/hub. Try bending them in towards the centre of the car a bit. It don`t hurt anything if you d this.

CV joints?

or bearings?

could be lots of things, does it change with speed/temperature?

G

Sort of. When the breaks start to get warmed up, especially after i have driven the car a bit faster than usual.

I would guess it is rust from the old disc's that is trapped between the disco plates (see above) and the new disc's/hub. Try bending them in to wards the centerer of the car a bit. It don`t hurt anything if you d this.

Thank you for that. I have stripped down the breaks and given them a good clean it stopped for a while then came back again.

It is also possible to have the discs re-skimmed if the surface is not good. This is cheaper than replacing them.

Nice one, i did not know that.

I get the very same noise when either on full lock (or near full lock) steering either left or right.

Hogg - get yourself to a wide open space and try this on yours and see if you notice the noise. You don't need to go very fast - just drive round in a circle. As with yours, I have plenty life on the pads. I once had a stone stuck between the guard and the disk which made a louder noise but I bent the stone guard back and liberated the offending stone!

But this noise is different. Its like a grinding or scraping. See if yours does it in both directions and let me know. My noise seems to come and go. I'm thinking its rust which wears off then builds up again.

when you fitted your new pads did you put copper grease on the back of them? sometimes they squeal if they dont have grease on the back.

I get the very same noise when either on full lock (or near full lock) steering either left or right.

Hogg - get yourself to a wide open space and try this on yours and see if you notice the noise. You don't need to go very fast - just drive round in a circle. As with yours, I have plenty life on the pads. I once had a stone stuck between the guard and the disk which made a louder noise but I bent the stone guard back and liberated the offending stone!

But this noise is different. Its like a grinding or scraping. See if yours does it in both directions and let me know. My noise seems to come and go. I'm thinking its rust which wears off then builds up again.

I did the same as you, i went round in circles in the work car park. But it was hard to tell where the sound was coming from. I agree with you i think its the front disc's they have done about 20,000 miles. The inboard disc's seem to be bady damaged compared to the outboard ones. It only seems to happen when the breaks get to working temperature. The cars MOT and service is due in June. I will just change all the disc's and pads and hope for the best.

Thank you for your help.

when you fitted your new pads did you put copper grease on the back of them? sometimes they squeal if they dont have grease on the back.

When the pad's and disc's were changed under warranty the Toyota dealer did them for me. But since then i have stripped them down and i noticed they did not even put copper grease on the wheel nuts or studs like they use to. So i was not surprised to find that they did not bother to copper grease the pads either. So i had a go myself but it did not make any difference. When i serviced my old cars myself many years ago ( i would not even attempt to service a modern car now) i would put copper grease on the back of the alloy wheels to stop the corroding against the steel hud,

there is nothing worse than getting a puncture and the !Removed! wheel wont come off unless you smack it one with a hammer. No one seems to bother now.

Many thanks for you help.

When you say that the inboard discs are badly damaged whats wrong with them? You mentioned that your first set appeared 'melted'? Are these ones scored badly?

As for the shocking quality of service these days, I'm sure we could write a book!

When you say that the inboard disc's are badly damaged whats wrong with them? You mentioned that your first set appeared 'melted'? Are these ones scored badly?

As for the shocking quality of service these days, I'm sure we could write a book!

Yes they are very badly scored. It's almost as if the pads on the inboard side are not making proper contact with the disc's. I have a feeling the piston is getting stuck. The car breaks OK in a straight line no vibration though the steering wheel.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links