Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My First Ever Mr2 :d

Steve-O 2006

Two toms ones just look too much!!

I used to have a Toms scoop (now on Jappys car), but I changed to bomex - Miles better!

• 2 weeks later...

I see on TB Dev forum your having major issues... why ohh why Stevo did you not listen to us man and go for a standard rev 3? :(

Hope you get it sorted... Good luck...

A car like that will ALWAYS have issues and gremlins, you either need to know what youre doing with these cars or have deep wallets, looks like youre gunna need deep a wallet and its going to be an issue for the life of the car :(

What problems exactly?

I wouldnt call them major issues, only problems left are -

Squeaky belt (easilly fixed)

Airbubble in coolant (going to sort this on weekend)

Clocks moving on there own (Just needs a new delimiter / converter fitted)

Drivers side coilover set slightly different to the pass side one (going to sort this on weekend)

Only big problem realy is the starter motor seems to jump and engine cuts out when you blip the throttle slightly after starting the car from cold (not ran for 24 hours). If the car is left for 30 secs - 1 min to warm up its 100% fine and doesnt do it so Im guessing its most likely something to do with it just sitting in the cold / damp / ran and not getting properly ran (the car only gets started for 5 mins a day and just sits ticking over)

My post on TB forum -

If I start my MR2 Turbo while its cold and give it a very light rev (about 3% throttle usage) within say 5 seconds of it running for some strange reason the engine cuts out and the Starter motor constantly kicks in and the interior lights and screen on the Apexi SAFC go dim (Like when you are starting a car). When the starter motor is turning by itself the car doesnt start, you have to turn the car off with the key like normal (this stops the starter motor turning) and start the car like usual and it starts again 1st time.

If I start the car and leave it to warm up for 1 min it doesnt do it.

Anyone know what could be wrong, I thought it might have been a dodgy wire but after the cars been running for 1 min its fine.

Thanks

I could have went with a Rev3 but could still have ended up with problems.

Like with any old car your going to have one or two problems but its not putting me off it ;)

Oh and Im not fitting any airscoops now ;)

I could have went with a Rev3 but could still have ended up with problems.

Like with any old car your going to have one or two problems but its not putting me off it ;)

Granted you could have issues (although not likey with an unmolested example) but not the main faults your stating as they are down to dodgy wiring with the mods...

Wiring a rear fog lights was a pain in the rear so god knows how all that stuff in the car was put together... gonna be a long drawn out process to eliminate the issue(s).

We did advise against buying this car, easy to say now but the fact is ppl that were giving you advise did so cos they have been there and done that,

i myself have 2 rev3 turbos 1 bought completly stock and the other with just a few sensible mods, it's always a danger of buying a hybrid car of also buying a lot of problems too, unless you fully know the full and complete history of the car and/or said conversions have been documented on one of the owners/enthusiasts forums, that way you can do your homework before buying.

i nearly bought a highly modified rev2 running circa 400bhp, on cossie management but when the seller said, yea it just needs a map n a few things sorting, i immediately thought well why not do them before selling then?? makes you wonder doesn't it......turned out after doing investigation that it HAS NEVER ran right and never would of, i found out who did the conversion and who tried to map it, he told me the full history, glad i walked away and bought a good straight honest stock model!..

All that said sorry to hear bout ur probs, hope you get them sorted out fella, but things like wiring faults are hard to diagnose/cure over the net.....good choice on the scoop i personally do not like them...and what can i say both my tubbies have flew thro MOT's needing little to no work at all, how many 12-13 year old cars can do that?? and tbh other than routine maint + servicing neither car has ever needed anything else,,,and i know a lot of the rev3 guys can totally agree with me on that!.

If you need any help just ask away i'm sure we'll all help as much as we can. hell if you were closer i'd come n have a look myself and see what i could find.

Doreen

I missed this 1st time around but that's 1 fine looking MR2, I'm not a big fan of all the dials but apart from that I think it's absolutely beautiful, congratulations on the purchase :drool:

I missed this 1st time around but that's 1 fine looking MR2, I'm not a big fan of all the dials but apart from that I think it's absolutely beautiful, congratulations on the purchase :drool:

If I get stuck with a problem I will probably take it to GTSChris as he is only about 1 hour away from me. Started it at half 5 when I got in from work and it started 1st time like always and it didnt do that thing with the starter motor so left it running for 10 mins then when warm gave it a few revs to 4000 - 4500rpm. Dont realy think theres any elelctical faults as I fixed my Fog light (loose wire), know whats wrong with the clock and Im 99% sure its not an electrical fault with the starter motor (if it was then surely it would still do it after the car had been running for 1 min?)

Fitted Mesh to the bumper (AC radiator was getting hit with stones), now I need to fit the bumper again on saturday after bleeding the radiator :D (Took almost 4 hours to get it off, nuts / screws hidden in the wings etc were hard to get to!)

On the inside of the bumper it has a stamp saying "BORDER" with some numbers etc, do you think it could be an official border bumper if it has the stamp???

Had a look under it while its in the air and it looks brand new :D !!!

POssibly official border bumper mate.

TBH, I wouldn't be disheartened with the problems you've got and wouldn't pay much attention to the "you shouldn't have bought a modded car" brigade.

You've got a nice looking motor (I was thinking about it myself), and you'll get it sorted! :D

POssibly official border bumper mate.

TBH, I wouldn't be disheartened with the problems you've got and wouldn't pay much attention to the "you shouldn't have bought a modded car" brigade.

You've got a nice looking motor (I was thinking about it myself), and you'll get it sorted! :D

Thanks :) its just realy the starter motor that needs sorted now (we got no rain today and it didnt do it so maybe it is just from getting damp??) so nothing realy to worry about (I dont think it is). Planning on keeping it for a long time so will most likely get the modding bug and end up getting a full engine rebuild with performance parts etc anyway hehe :P

Only 20 more days to go untill Im insured on it!!! :D (19 days in 1hour 15 mins ;) ). I have took a day off work to have a play around in it :D, dont worry wont be flying around corners or anything stupid like that in this weather ;)

just insured it with Adrian Flux and it came to £1089 with all the mods declaired so took the policy out :). I told them it was a Turbo twice to make sure and most of the mods that I listed are for turbo cars only (eg Intercooler, Boost guage, Boost controller etc) also told them that the BHP is around 250 and when standard it was 220 but I just keep getting a strange feeling that they have quoted me for a NA as it sounds very cheap that price. Anyway, will find out when the paper work comes, Im sure it will be fine, I dont think they would make a mistake like that especially when given the standard bhp figure, list of turbo mods etc.

Looks nice Steve. Hope you get the issues sorted.

Just found out it also has braided brake hoses all around :D

...this isn't necessarily a good thing mate. Even with rubber hoses all round you watch how much movement you get at the brake reservoir when you press on the brakes. You're now sending more stress that way. I'd play it safe and brace it... but there's play in it for a reason.

Looks nice though, but as Rash says, I'd put a more understated wing on it. I think a subtle TOM's bootlid spoiler would suit it very well... like KiwiMR2 had.

Glad you got one. Now take it easy!

Looks nice though, but as Rash says, I'd put a more understated wing on it. I think a subtle TOM's bootlid spoiler would suit it very well... like KiwiMR2 had.

I know we both Asian...

I know we both live in Bradford...

But come on... :lol:

Looks nice Steve. Hope you get the issues sorted.
Just found out it also has braided brake hoses all around :D

...this isn't necessarily a good thing mate. Even with rubber hoses all round you watch how much movement you get at the brake reservoir when you press on the brakes. You're now sending more stress that way. I'd play it safe and brace it... but there's play in it for a reason.

Glad you got one. Now take it easy!

Thanks, realy wanted yours but I was getting the feeling that you didnt realy want to sell it (I wouldnt have been able to sell it if I was you) :). Spoiler is big but I like it :D and yea I think it was Fizz that said that not Rash hehe ;) ;) Thanks

I know we both Asian...

Hahahahahahahaha... Fizz, I'm sorry mate... hahahahaha. I love you dude!

Thanks, realy wanted yours but I was getting the feeling that you didnt realy want to sell it (I wouldnt have been able to sell it if I was you) :). Spoiler is big but I like it :D and yea I think it was Fizz that said that not Rash hehe ;) ;) Thanks

Sorry about that Steve. I didn't get you the pictures when you wanted etc. I don't use it as a daily drive, I use a diesel Vectra, so when I get to play in it at the weekend I fall in love with it all over again! I was starting to take it for granted. I still don't know what to do though. Ask Fizz... I keep on about selling it... just wouldn't know what to replace it with. I may be moving to the US through work so don't want to commit to anything too much at the minute. Taking the missus over there at the end of March to see if she likes it and wants to move!

Really glad you got yourself one though Steve. It does look tidy.

I know we both Asian...

Hahahahahahahaha... Fizz, I'm sorry mate... hahahahaha. I love you dude!

No worries.. you also aint seen my pm as well i presume which i sent a few days ago. :rolleyes:

No worries.. you also aint seen my pm as well i presume which i sent a few days ago. :rolleyes:

I have now... It is a lovely car. I'll keep mine for now! Thanks for pointing me to the advert anyway. :thumbsup:

I have now... It is a lovely car. I'll keep mine for now! Thanks for pointing me to the advert anyway. :thumbsup:

So the cycle continues... when will it finally break... :rolleyes::lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links