Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mr2 Engine Probloms

Carbonated

Hi there, i recently bought a w reg mr2 roadster with 71000 miles, its in great condition etc, but i dont know if its me but when im driving it it usually has loads of poke in it in all gears, its really fun to drive, in all gears u just put a little bit of throtle and you get great brisk aceleration. but somtimes im noticing that the the car doesnt have any, how can i put it "oooommmth" but then a few miles later its back to normal, very quick with limited amount of throtle but then other times i put that same bit of throtle on the same road and it just isnt the same!!!it just doestn feel fast and doesnt feel like the mr2 i know, then it feels normal again.

I may be a bit paranoid but its really doing my head in, it still gets to fast speeds easly but it doesnt have that oomth, any ideas? in otherwords the acceleration just doesnt feel there and i have to work it more, any ideas on what could be causing these probloms?? i dont want to go to garage saying this and them ripping me off just changing any old parts....

there is also a strange not very loud kind of tapping noise when i accelerate, its not there when idleing tho

Cheers steve

Hi Steve and welcome to the club. :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear about your problems but if you CLICK HERE and check out the "Maf sensor cleaning" thread it may be of some help, you could also have a read about your pre-cats HERE.

I know there is a strong belief in pre-cat failure causing engine failure and while I agree that anything ingested into the cylinders is not good I am not totally convinced this is the case, the ceramic material would need to degenerate into a fine powder form over a period of time for it to cause the wear in the cylinders that I have heard about, where as a break up in pieces would cause severe scoring of the bores.

I do think the most likely causes are poor early piston design (pre 2002), apparently the oil control ring holes were prone to blockage which will definitely lead to premature bore wear.

The other engine killer is lack of maintenance, I have read on MANY occasions where people have checked the oil only to find nothing on the dip stick, by this time it is usually to late and they top it up then get rid of the car to some unsuspecting buyer.

I hope you find a simple cure to your problems and when it is running at its best once more................KEEP CHECKING THE OIL!!!! ;)

Les

Hi Steve and welcome to the club. :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear about your problems but if you CLICK HERE and check out the "Maf sensor cleaning" thread it may be of some help, you could also have a read about your pre-cats HERE.

I know there is a strong belief in pre-cat failure causing engine failure and while I agree that anything ingested into the cylinders is not good I am not totally convinced this is the case, the ceramic material would need to degenerate into a fine powder form over a period of time for it to cause the wear in the cylinders that I have heard about, where as a break up in pieces would cause severe scoring of the bores.

I do think the most likely causes are poor early piston design (pre 2002), apparently the oil control ring holes were prone to blockage which will definitely lead to premature bore wear.

The other engine killer is lack of maintenance, I have read on MANY occasions where people have checked the oil only to find nothing on the dip stick, by this time it is usually to late and they top it up then get rid of the car to some unsuspecting buyer.

I hope you find a simple cure to your problems and when it is running at its best once more................KEEP CHECKING THE OIL!!!! ;)

Les

cheers, last night i got really annoyed with this problom and decided to rev the engine in nutrual to around 5000- 6000 rpm see if that would do anything as i was in motion, and as if it was a magic trick, the engine was back to its former glory, but i dont know for how long, does this indicate that somthing else could be the matter? ive just had a full service done on the vehicle and it has full service history at toyota main dealer cheers and thanx for the links

its sill the same now even after cleaning the maf sensor.... grrr im so gutted, just dont know what to do, considering taking it to a garage monday for it to be looked at, but i fear alot of bills and no results, and the rattling noise during acceleration is getting worse :(

Oh dear, it ain't sounding good Steve :(

Let us know how things turn out

Les

Ive bought a complete fuel injecter/system cleaner and added it to full tank, maybe the injectecters are dirty and this is causing the differance in power, see how it goes after this has gone complety through the system, but i will have to go to the garage regarding the rattleing noise, thanx for your advice les, ill keep you posted

Steve

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links