Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Doggy Smell

Notebook

Hi

Looked at a car on the weekend which met everything, but had a slight doggy smell. Anyway of getting rid of this? will it go in time? The car is absolutely immaculate - no dog hairs etc and is only 2 years old. Someone mentioned thermal fogging? Anyone tried this?

Thanks

Probably the air conditioning system requires sanitising, we do the product you require here It leaves a nice refreshing smell in the car when used, which will get rid of dodgy and doggy smells!

Kingo :thumbsup:

EDIT I'm not sure it can cope with dogging smells eeeewwwwww

Hi

Looked at a car on the weekend which met everything, but had a slight doggy smell. Anyway of getting rid of this? will it go in time? The car is absolutely immaculate - no dog hairs etc and is only 2 years old. Someone mentioned thermal fogging? Anyone tried this?

Thanks

Previous owner into 'Dogging' perhaps.......... check upholstery for staining !! :!Removed!:

Probably the air conditioning system requires sanitising, we do the product you require here It leaves a nice refreshing smell in the car when used, which will get rid of dodgy and doggy smells!

Does this always work? I know its worth a try, just thinking that when I have been in a dealers place looking at 2nd hand cars I cant recall smelling any smells. Also, thinking about it, it was only when he turned on the air/heating that I thought I could smell it.

As a dealer, what happens when you get in a car with a doggy smell? They chap said it had been valeted, and it looked like he was using another car for work etc. perhaps fresh air might help.

cheers

There are all manner of chemicals to produce nice smells to mask an odour, but the problem with A/C smells are that it is fungal, and requires a proper sanitiser to kill the bacteria that cause the smell. The product on our website is a professional product and not a gimmick so give it a try if you buy the car

If you treat it with the stuff off kingo, change the cabin filter (literally 1 minute) which could habour bacteria and just run it you will almost certainly get rid of it. Sometimes standing and the lack of fresh air circulation causes the problem.

If you treat it with the stuff off kingo, change the cabin filter (literally 1 minute) which could habour bacteria and just run it you will almost certainly get rid of it. Sometimes standing and the lack of fresh air circulation causes the problem.

Thanks.

Where is the filter? how much is a new one? any info appreciated.

Nick

Tell the dealer that under Trades Description law, "Air Conditioning" is meant to do just that. Demand a massive reduction or you will report him to the Trading Standards people, whether you buy the car or not. Let the local environmental health folk & Health & safety ken as well and they'll make their own visits. By that time, if the dealer still hasn't cracked, phone the Fire Brigade to report the release of dangerous gases....the sight of a couple of fire wagons and men in breathing apparatus should sway the dealer to give in!

If the dealer gets annoyed with you, phone the Police to say you have been threatened, then take him to court for harrassment and Assault; followed by a masssive compensation claim enough to buy 2 new RAVs.

Dinna hang aboot - the opportchansity exists!!

Here are the instructions for the 4.2;

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...;hl=maintenance

And the 4.3 (as yours is 2 years old I'm not sure which you are looking at;

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=69757

Prices for filters delivered from kingo are attached.

Cheers

Here are the instructions for the 4.2;

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...;hl=maintenance

And the 4.3 (as yours is 2 years old I'm not sure which you are looking at;

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=69757

Prices for filters delivered from kingo are attached.

Cheers

Thanks

Mine is the one shape before the last

cheers

Comma Air Conditioning treatment is a good product and does help doggy or sick smells in addition to cleansing AC system but is not a permanent cure.

For a permanent cure: the smells from animals, sickness or spilled milk etc is actually from the bacteria which breeds from the spource. Mix a mild solution of Milton Sterilising Fluid (yes its for baby feeding bottles) and shampoo carpets, seats etc then allow to dry out, if possible all doors open and plenty fresh air. You may need to repeat this once again.

Have used this countless times over the years and it works, valeters at work dubious at first but they soon agreed. There is NO smell from this it neutralises the source of smell.

Lemon-juice, white vinegar and fabric softner also work well

Clare

Lemon-juice, white vinegar and fabric softner also work well

Clare

I've tried that but had to take antacid for the heartburn; and the fabric stuff turned ma poo pink!

You wash it with fabric conditioner? Anything to upstage the neighbours.

Fabric softener believe it or not is good for killing lather. If you put too much cleaner in a bucket and can,t get rid if the suds put some in the bucket, that will do the trick,same applies to most types of "smells" on fabrics!!!!!

Clare

How do you use it? Is it the set it off and evacuate the car or just squirt it?

Nick

How do you use it? Is it the set it off and evacuate the car or just squirt it?

Nick

diesel has the same effect

You set it off inside the car. Follow the instructions on the can, it circulates through all the vents where you could not possibly apply Miltons/Vinegar/Lemon Juice :D: That kills the bacteria that cause the nasty niffs. Bothy has it on draught to cure the rather odd odeur from his Glasgow curry :eek:

• 2 weeks later...

Ahh i'm glad someone posted this! i was thinking that my RAV had a dog like smell to it - although there were no signs that the previous owner had a dog in it. The garage valeted it and i bought an strong air freshner but it sill has the faint niff of dog sometimes. It makes sense about the air con because i took mine back to the dealer as it didnt seem to be working and he regassed it for me so obviously the previous owner hadn't maintained the air con servicing.

Hmmm anyway thanks might need to invest in that product from Kingo!

Ahh i'm glad someone posted this! i was thinking that my RAV had a dog like smell to it - although there were no signs that the previous owner had a dog in it. The garage valeted it and i bought an strong air freshner but it sill has the faint niff of dog sometimes. It makes sense about the air con because i took mine back to the dealer as it didnt seem to be working and he regassed it for me so obviously the previous owner hadn't maintained the air con servicing.

Hi

Bought one off eBay £5. Not sure what the smell is, but I drove the car home and parked it up. Have been using my yaris verso for the last week, but sold it last night. So I am going to have a look at the cabin filter - probably buy a new one. I will remove the filter and run the aircon treatment and then fit the new filter. Will let you know how I got on. Everyone who has smelt? the car says it isnt a doggy smell. It may be the valetted inside leaving it damp, especially for this time of year.

Nick

Hi

Bought one off eBay £5. Not sure what the smell is, but I drove the car home and parked it up. Have been using my yaris verso for the last week, but sold it last night. So I am going to have a look at the cabin filter - probably buy a new one. I will remove the filter and run the aircon treatment and then fit the new filter. Will let you know how I got on. Everyone who has smelt? the car says it isnt a doggy smell. It may be the valetted inside leaving it damp, especially for this time of year.

Nick

Did what it said on the tin and it made a huge difference - removed the filter - set off can as per instructions on circulate - fitted a new bought filter..........

laarrvvvely

Nick

• 2 months later...

with the arrival of some warm weather my wifes 3 door 02 Rav4 is begining to give off a doggy smell. We were aware of the possible problem when we bought the car but so far its been ok, that is up until now. If the treaments do not get rid of the smell how difficult and expensive is it to change the carpet. It seems to be one piece from boot to front foot wells.

with the arrival of some warm weather my wifes 3 door 02 Rav4 is begining to give off a doggy smell. We were aware of the possible problem when we bought the car but so far its been ok, that is up until now. If the treaments do not get rid of the smell how difficult and expensive is it to change the carpet. It seems to be one piece from boot to front foot wells.

Try the can of spray as mentioned earlier. I have also bought some from lidl. They are only about £1 and although I havent tried them yet I am sure they will do the job. The smell never returned after the use of the first can.

Try the can of spray as mentioned earlier. I have also bought some from lidl. They are only about £1 and although I havent tried them yet I am sure they will do the job. The smell never returned after the use of the first can.

Sorry your all going about this the wrong way..Its simple, buy a DOG :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sorry your all going about this the wrong way..Its simple, buy a DOG :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hahahaha - now we're getting sensible answers!!!

For what its worth, I replaced the carfpet on my 1st 94 RAV as at 170k miles the carpet was worn - and as the car had been laid up for a while, the carpet was also mouldy. Its a case of removing the seats front and back and then pulling out the old carpet in 1 bit if you can. Ease it out of the rear wheel arch covers, and unclip the sill/door strips. Also easier to take out gearbox tunnel cover. I bought Rolls Royce blue carpet and laid it flat on the floor then put old carpet on top to use a a template. As the new carpet is twice as thick as the old, one had to use physicality to fit the carpet to the car once cut.

Cut out wee holes for the rear seat mounting, and muck about to get the front seat mounting.

I also replaced the underfelt and stuck some sound deadening in areas. It was massively cheaper than buying a readycut carpet, and as I wasn't using the original seats then I went for a colour I wanted. Everything went back pretty muck ok but you might need to buy new clips for under the dash - I used the sticky spray to help hold things and it worked. I think it was coverdale carpets I used - you'll get suppliers from the Classic Car mags.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links