Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is It Possible To Legally Fit A 3rd Seatbelt In An Aygo?

carriej56

Hello I have just got a 55 plate Aygo + (3 door) and wondered if anyone has fitted a 3rd seatbelt leagally into theirs? Its for three kids ( under 5's ) to sit in the back and the fourth in the front!

Let me know and oh yeah any ideas of how much it might cost?

Thanks

Carrie

The Aygo is a 4 seater city car, there is no way you'd fit 3 baby/childrens seats in the back. It's just not big enough - and legally all children under a certain height have to be in car seats now.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but if you wanted to transport 4 kids you should have got a bigger car!

The Aygo is a 4 seater city car, there is no way you'd fit 3 baby/childrens seats in the back. It's just not big enough - and legally all children under a certain height have to be in car seats now.

I have researched this and acording to a government website it states the following exemption from the cubikat law.

"In many cars, there is not room for three child seats across the rear seat. If two occupied child seats or boosters prevent the fitting of a third, and the front seat is not available, a third child aged 3 years and over may then use just an adult belt in the rear. This may be a lap belt."

As my eldest child is 5 and so could sit in the middle hence the question about the possibility of a 3rd seatbelt being fitted.

Thanks

As a 4-seater I don't see how you could legally fit a 5th belt.

If you got into an accident with more that 4 occupants I'd

doubt if the insurance will pay in full...

The Aygo is a 4 seat car.

If you carry 5 people you will be breaking the construction and use regulations by overloading the car.

as has been said, your insurance would be null and void in the event of an accident.

My insurance company has my car listed as a 5 seater car on my insurance papers (i didnt tell them this, just gave my reg and they pulled up all the info)

The Aygo is designed as a 4 seater car, has been crash tested with 4 seats, has 4 seat belts and is not made to carry more people legally or safely.

It’s no different than putting a 6th seat belt in a 5 seater car, a crazy idea.

In the event of any incident you will be risking having your insurance made null and void; they only need one excuse not to pay up.

The children don’t have a choice (God help them), you do.

Are they all your children? If they are someone else’s children are the parents aware of your intentions?

I suggest if you want to carry more kids then a bigger car should be on your shopping list.

Are they all your children? If they are someone else’s children are the parents aware of your intentions?

I suggest if you want to carry more kids then a bigger car should be on your shopping list.

Yes they are all my children and I was asking if it was theoretically possible and if anyone has done it. As a responsible parent I would NEVER put my childrens lives in danger, and have never tried to get more than 3 of them in the car at one time.

Oh and I do have another car for all those people out there worried and yes it is a seven seater so I even let the hubby come too!!

It's also a 5 seat on your log book I bet.

Some 4 seat cars can have a 5th belt factory fitted as an option.

However you must specify this at time of ordering as extra strength has to be built into the car for the mounting points etc.

You cannot and should not, retro fit an extra seat belt.

Look @ all these people jumping in to give thier personal opinion on parenting? I can seee it was only a simple question.

Fitting an extra seat belt would not be safe so I say no, in all opinions :)

Don't let people get ti ya :thumbsup:

People are perfectly calm....

But when children are involved, safety is paramount and in this case it would not be wise to even consider it as an option.

Look @ all these people jumping in to give thier personal opinion on parenting?

Someone needs to when a parent is considering overloading a car with under 5’s. At the end of the day a question was asked so it would be reasonable to expect a variety of replies.

Yea but at the end of the day she has come on here asking whether it is possible rather than actually just going ahead and doing it, fair enough people have answered but also in a couple of cases they have also given the 3rd degree

Yes they are all my children and I was asking if it was theoretically possible and if anyone has done it. As a responsible parent I would NEVER put my childrens lives in danger, and have never tried to get more than 3 of them in the car at one time.

Oh and I do have another car for all those people out there worried and yes it is a seven seater so I even let the hubby come too!!

sums its up ^ :D

Someone needs to when a parent is considering overloading a car with under 5’s. At the end of the day a question was asked so it would be reasonable to expect a variety of replies.

I would like to reitterate my point that I have NEVER done this and would NEVER do it without the car passing a safety test if and i repeat IF I ever decided to have it done.

MY CHILDREN WOULD NEVER BE OVERLOADED INTO A CAR THAT CANNOT SAFELY ACCOMMODATE THEM

Thankyou for your varying responses to my question

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links