Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Use Of The Parking Brake

Dutchgirl

As a retired driving instructor I prefer to use the hand brake when stopped . When I bought a Prius I was told there was no need to use the parking brake but the Prius does move on the flat if pushed without the engine/battery. It is advisable to secure on the parking brake because in a car park where cars are parked back to back or vice versa, the Prius can move and if the person in front of you parked a little too close and you happen to be putting something in the boot of the Prius, you lean forward and your car will likely bump into the car in front if the parking brake is not in use. So I would advise use of the parking brake so that it cannot be pushed forward by yourself or anyone else who comes near it. I admit it wont go far, but it is safer.

Any more comments on this?

Dutchgirl

What fool thought that applying the handbrake was not necessary?

Please keep using the handbrake, that is what it is there for :D:

Kingo :thumbsup:

What fool thought that applying the handbrake was not necessary?

Please keep using the handbrake, that is what it is there for :D:

Um I've yet to use mine, albeit that I only took delivery in December.

Why should you use it, I realise there is a difference between engaging P and the handbrake, something about one working on the wheels and the other on the gear box. On my previous car, also an automatic, I never used the handbrake (also electronic). Surely that is what all the American's do too - hence why their cars always "lurch" as they get out.

I mean once in P it ain't going to go anywhere or am I mad? Do let me know!!!

Jon

I purchased the Prius in December and the dealer said always use the footbreak as well as "P".

I understand the car can move unless the footbrake (handbrake) is applied when parking up to go shopping etc. I will not risk not applying the footbrake when parking up.

I purchased the Prius in December and the dealer said always use the footbreak as well as "P".

I understand the car can move unless the footbrake (handbrake) is applied when parking up to go shopping etc. I will not risk not applying the footbrake when parking up.

Hmm, what do we mean by "move" here. Park it on a hill, place it in P and it doesn't budge. I'm not sure what more you need to do? So if it doesn't go anywhere on a steep hill, I can't see the value of the parking brake when in a flat car park?

Maybe I need to get up early tomorrow and have a few tests pushing my car with and without the brake!

Anyone else got a view for us?

What if something lets go in the transmission? you would look a bit daft writing out one of those Jasper Carrot style claim forms, Did you apply the handbrake before your car rolled down the hill.........errr No, I didnt think I had to :eek:

I am of course playing devils advocate, but it is good practice to use it, belt and braces style

When the Prius is on a hill and you take your foot off the brake (no gas) does the car roll backwards?

In a torque convertor automatic it doesn't roll, I suspect in a CVT it does roll? - and hence it's better to put the handbrake on?

Tried it on a hill today. Did not roll back.

It's designed not to roll back to allow you to come off the foot brake and go straight onto the throttle without the car moving backwards if you're stoppped on a hill as you don't have the control during hill starts using a handbrake. As for only using the 'P' button when parked up is like only leaving a normal car parked up in 1st gear and not applying the handbrake. :huh: You just wouldn't do it so same applies with the Prius.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links