Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Voice Activation

Chris Dance

Help Please. How do you get your voice to make a phone call on the Prius. I have entered some phone numbers in the phone book. I have tried voice activation on one of the numbers. It did not work but now there is a small microphone logo next to the name I tried.???

I do not find the manual easy to follow a step by step guide would be helpful.

bluetooth recognises my phone so all that is set OK.

Hi Chris,

How're u? Dunno if you've done this already, but in the phone numbers you stored in the phone book in the car, you have to go and add a voicetag. This is one page down from the first screen, so its not very intuitive. Give a long (atleast 3 seconds) voicetag, and be as clear as possible.

Once you save it, you get out of the menu, and follow the prompts...i.e. press the call button to get the phoen screen (on ur steering wheel). then press the voice prompt button on ur st.wheel and follow instructructions...u still have to say 'dial by name', then the voice tag u recorded (you hae to be clear as the system misunderstands...i've dialled the wrong no. so many times!!), then say 'dial'. before every time, you have to press the voice prompt button.....

it might take some time getting used to it...or it getting used to u, but its very convenient!!

hope it works...all the best.

cheers

rajesh

Help Please. How do you get your voice to make a phone call on the Prius. I have entered some phone numbers in the phone book. I have tried voice activation on one of the numbers. It did not work but now there is a small microphone logo next to the name I tried.???

I do not find the manual easy to follow a step by step guide would be helpful.

Bluetooth recognises my phone so all that is set OK.

Thank you rajesh. I will carry out your instructions.

Any idea why a small microphone icon has come by the first name I tried?

Your help is much appreciated.

Regards. Chris.

Hi rajesh,

Just thought I would let you know that with your help I set up the voice phone recognition today. All seems to be working.

Thankyou for your help.

Since I wrote the above:

I spoke too soon the dialling sounds and speech are distorted now when I use the phone with Prius bluetooth. I am taken the car and phone to the dealer on Thursday. A chap in the workshop at the dealers said even though some phones have bluetooth when you add touch tone and voice dialling it can distort the sound. He said some phones just do not work on the Prius even though they have bluetooth. Our phone is a Samung. Has anybody else had this problem?

I will let yo know how I get on at the dealers.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope this may assist other Prius owners who want to use their mobile phones with Prius bluetooth.

I took the car to my local dealer today and the guys there were very helpful. It seems my Samsung phone although it has blue tooth and connects to the Prius bluetooth OK, does not have compatible software to enable clear sound.

The dealer tried 2 other phones (both Nokias) one with my SIM card and the system worked fine.

A compatible phone must have the following software:

bluetooth 1.1 or higher

Hands free profile 1.0 or higher.

Object Push profile 1.1 or higher.

Nokia and Sony Ericsson seem the best.

By the way I tried four phone outlets to get help with regard to the phone. NONE knew what software I was talking about, they were all useless. I phoned 02 and they were helpful and told me models of phone that should be OK. I am due a free phone exchange in April so I am waiting till then to get my compatible Prius phone. Eventually I hope to get it all sorted out.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links