Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gear Shift

allen2502

Hi again folks

2.0 VVT-i T Spirit 4dr Seq Auto ive agreed a price, but .............

ive got another querry?

as stated this car has a Seq Auto gear box, so you can go from the full auto or across the the sequencail ( spelling wrong ?? or is it)

well to start at the beginning i had a 03 plate avensis lease car for 6 weeks and i loved it, hence me trying to buy one now, this also had the seq auto, and when ever you went across it put you in second, so if you were doing 70mph? and went across it put you in second gear? if you started off at 0mph and started it started you in second gear?

BUT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

this one is putting me in thrid at all times, i was on the test drive and the guy said it adjusts to the relative speed? so i was doing 75mph and went across? and it put me in third?

I slowed to a nearly complete stop and pushed it across? and it put me in third gear? is this a setting issue? any ideas please, he seemed to think it would change? but it didnt so his reply changed to pherhaps its suppose to stay in third? so i said the last avensis i drove put it in second and not third? he couldnt answer this so he changed the subject, to it handles well doesnt it? i said NO it pulls a bit to the right? so he shut up for most of the journey then.

any help would be great , so thanks again folks

Hi again folks, i take it theres no one out there who knows much about the seq auto? i thought there would be someone.

i hoped, i prayed, but not all prayers come true............

Hi. I have a T3-X 1.8 auto and use it in auto mode most of the time. I sometimes put it into manual selection (snicking it to the right) when decending a hill or if I need extra oomph to overtake. If you're in auto mode and the box is in 4th auto gear, putting into manual will select 3rd, not 2nd. This is to protect the box as you don't want to be doing 75-100mph and go from 4th in auto to 2nd in manual. I believe that the electronics of the box are smart enough to prevent damage by selecting the wrong gear for the speed of the car. Hope this helps.

Hi, it halfs answeres, what i already knew? but the sales man seemd to think that it was intelligent? i.e if you are a stop, and you went across, it would automatically go into first? but it doesnt it starts you in 3rd?and on that same principle, if you are doing 90mph ( on a private road of course ) and you went across? it should put you into 4th? but it goes to third gear no matter what speed your driving at? , i wouldnt of had a single problem with this had the sales person not told me other to start with and the fact that i had a lease one of these cars a few weeks ago also a 53 plate but not the spirit and that went to 2nd every time? so i was after some sort of clarification if you see what i mean?

but thanks for your advise with a bit of luck MR know it all ????? will log in see this thread and answere it in so much detail ill get lost? i hope.... thanks

Oh well, i take it theres no one out there with this level of information? ive tried asking toyota again???? and they were quitier than this message board lolol

Hi all, i can not believe that this thread has been viewed over 500 times and no one can answere my question? surely someone out there knows something? pleaseeeeeeee

I own a 1.8 Auto on a 56 plate.

My understanding through observation whilst driving is as follows:

If you select sequential mode then the display in the instrument panel changes from D to 3. All the 3 denotes is that 3rd gear is the highest gear the auto box will select. So if you are driving and in 4th gear and then select sequential mode the car will change down to 3rd gear.

So now you are in 3rd gear, you can use the kick down facility and the car will surge forward (well perhaps not as its only a 1.8) changing down to 2nd gear. However the display still only shows as 3.

You now come to a stop at lights, still in sequential mode. The display still shows 3. When you pull away its not in 3rd gear but it will go through the sequence 1st, 2nd and then 3rd gear. It will not go higher than 3rd gear, unless you manually select 4th gear or switch to full auto.

If when you are in sequential mode and manually select 2nd then the display will change to show 2. The 2 now denotes that this is the highest gear the auto box will select. If you want a higher gear than 2 then you will have to manually select it or alternatively select full auto mode.

I can’t say how intelligent the box is in respect of a road speed that was too high for a selected gear?

Hope the above helps.

I can’t say how intelligent the box is in respect of a road speed that was too high for a selected gear?

Hope the above helps

well any answere is an answere lol. BUT

you have given an answere and the rules state that i must take the first answere given, and believe it or not? that sounds like a pretty good answere, wether its the only answere ill get? is irrelavant. the fqact that its an answere is great.

so thank you

a person i met who had a vauxhal said his box was intelligent, to the point that if you were in semi manual, and you were in fourth, and started to slow down, slower and slower it would auto start to drop your gears for you. and also in reverse, so if you had it in the seq/ 1st gear and pulled off as the engine starts to over rev? if youdidnt put it up a gear to stop the engine over reving it would say????? and put you in second then third all by itself.

but one more time? thanks

all over answeres on a postacard please andaddress too ME.

Hi all, i can not believe that this thread has been viewed over 500 times and no one can answere my question? surely someone out there knows something? pleaseeeeeeee

450 of the views are mine. i just like to keep clicking on the topic.

450 of the views are mine. i just like to keep clicking on the topic.

well theres 791 times its been viewed now?? so if 450 of them were yours? that means that 340 were mine when i keep checking in and the one other for my reply.. lol

i have had a word with the saleman agin who in turn has had a few words with the garage guy, who???? had the following thing to say?

its my driving techniques?? the way i drive the car? he drove it and it was fine?

(it was fine when i drove it as well.)

But he also said that when your at a stop? and you go across into semi and it puts you in 3rd gear? your not in 3rd gear? your actaully in 1st gear until you speed up to get to third? SO, to me that seems a bit stupid for a car to say im in 3rd? if im in 1st? who know? NO ONE it seems, but hey what the hell, i pick the car up wedsday morning.

But for the two people who read and responded to my post? thanks for trying lolol

Ill post an easier question next time, ow wait i did post an easier question? and no one replied to that either?? lol and that was wether this car was anygood?

bye 4 now

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links