Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Where Is All My Water Going?

NicNic

I have been happily driving around in my surf for nearly 12 months and trouble all starts when it starts to get cold....

I noticed about a month ago whilst towing my horse trailer that the temp was going up!!!! Thought its ok its just under a bit of pressure, when I got home I checked and to my horror ..... the radiator was empty.... Filled it up with coolant and water and filled up the dinky res at the side.... could not find a bleed nipple, so squeezed a few pipes till hopefully the air was out... its been ok for about a month. Low and behold, cold air coming out of the heaters last night. Checked this morning... NO WATER.... checked the oil to see if it was milky. No all fine in that department... SO WHERE IS ALL MY WATER GOING... Im just a simple girl so there maybe a very logical explanation for it, but I never had this problem with the Landy...

Also why is the res so small for such a big car!!!!

May I also add that I have checked under the car to see if its leaking !!!

Just another thought my car does not have a glow plug light on the dash. Why is this? Yes it is a diesel.

Can anyone help.... Off to Hull with the Horse & Trailer Sunday and could do with making sure im not going to blow up

Thanks

I have been happily driving around in my surf for nearly 12 months and trouble all starts when it starts to get cold....

I noticed about a month ago whilst towing my horse trailer that the temp was going up!!!! Thought its ok its just under a bit of pressure, when I got home I checked and to my horror ..... the radiator was empty.... Filled it up with coolant and water and filled up the dinky res at the side.... could not find a bleed nipple, so squeezed a few pipes till hopefully the air was out... its been ok for about a month. Low and behold, cold air coming out of the heaters last night. Checked this morning... NO WATER.... checked the oil to see if it was milky. No all fine in that department... SO WHERE IS ALL MY WATER GOING... Im just a simple girl so there maybe a very logical explanation for it, but I never had this problem with the Landy...

Just another thought my car does not have a glow plug light on the dash. Why is this? Yes it is a diesel.

Can anyone help.... Off to Hull with the Horse & Trailer Sunday and could do with making sure im not going to blow up

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks have you checked to see if there is any wet in the carpet as mine is doing this from the heater ive recently replaced water pump radiator and cylinder head as the system has been presurising and when u topped yor surf up with water did u replace it with some antifreeze mine fooled me with water loss from the heater as it ran out off dash under rubber mat and ubder the door prior to that water pump only leaked when the engine was running if heater only blowing cold a good chance it could be the heater cheers

My Carina has started doing the same thing. Water was dripping out from underneath with the engine running. It was coming from the water pump. It only did this when the engine was cold. As soon as it warmed up the leak stopped.

However, just doing short runs would empty the water reservoir quickly.

With the engine cold, start it and see if there is any water dripping out from under the drive/fan belts that power the alternator and power steering pump.

If there is it's almost certainly the water pump.

If it is the pump, it's a very good idea to change the cambelt at the same time.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a surf into work last week which had a water leak. Found that the coolant was coming from a small rubber hose that had perished and split.

The hose was located just to the right hand side of the engine near the top.

It will just be a case of running the engine upto temp and checking for any leaks - also as said above let it cool and check around the water pump area (might be quite hard to see water pump on the surf though.

Mart.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links