Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Oil Consumption

IanJames75

:unsure: HI All im new to this forum and toyota`s in general. i have recently bought an Avensis T3s 2003 03 plate, 1.8vvti on 85k, since having it i have noticed a slight engine tap and thought i better check oil level only to find no level it didnt even register on the dip stick. so i thought i better top it up and went and bought a litre of magnatec only to find it needed another litre. since the top up it sounds nice and quie again. i have read some items on here about new short engines due to excessive oil consumption. i will of course check the oil very regularly now but could do with some exact info on this because if i need to get a new engine then i feel i must act soon.... :unsure:

Please Help.....i thought toyotas were indestructable...

Welcome,

Yes, lots of oil consumption problems with that engine I'm afraid.

But the good news is that Toyota have been replacing them up to 7 years old if you have full Toyota Service History.

Edit; though an 03 plate would be after the date when the problem is supposed to be fixed I think.

Oh great!!!!

I have a full service history but some of it is not Toyota...

I will check my oil and if it persists try my luck at my dealer....

Oh great!!!!

I have a full service history but some of it is not Toyota...

I will check my oil and if it persists try my luck at my dealer....

hi

the main idea is in case you have not full service history at OFFICIALS then your engiine will not be changes for free.

i have the same case with mine and try to fight with oil consimption. i have reached small success with and continue investigations.

cheers/igor

That's not true in the UK.

Legally you can have it serviced anywhere that's competent and can be proven to be so. SO for example if your mate bob serviced it for you then you'd seriously struggle. If you went to "joe blogs independant garages" and have the receipts to prove the work was done to sufficient quality you should still be ok

That's not true in the UK.

Legally you can have it serviced anywhere that's competent and can be proven to be so. SO for example if your mate bob serviced it for you then you'd seriously struggle. If you went to "joe blogs independant garages" and have the receipts to prove the work was done to sufficient quality you should still be ok

Hi mate

but it is fully diferent here and considered as normal to service the case in officials. in case you got serviced in other garage them the warranty is stopped.

cheers/igor

Since block exemption was introduced you can have your car serviced at any garage. Has long has they use geniune parts and carry out the service to the set standards, and still maintain the manufactours warrenty. We have serviced toyotas at work that have needed new short blocks. All we do is send them down to a toyota garage we deal with and they carry out the engine change. I was talking to the dealer we use for shortblock replacments, and they are doing 3 a week easy and more sometimes. Has for age range they are now working of 05 plate avensis. They did tell me that the problem has now been fixed, it was the oil control ring and a piston desgin defect. All i can say is good job i changed my 54 plate 1.8 when i did cos stands a good chance that would of needed a new short block. If that was the case i would of changed to another company. To own 2 toyotas that needed a new engine, and for my dad who needed a new short block. Come on toyota that would mean in 5 years 2 drivers in the same household would need 3 new engines.

Get down to your dealer quick and ask them to do a consumption test. The warranty has been extended to 7 years and at least 100,000 miles. Don't let them fob you off.

Sadly this model Toyota is anything but indestructable :(

Get down to your dealer quick and ask them to do a consumption test. The warranty has been extended to 7 years and at least 100,000 miles. Don't let them fob you off.

Sadly this model Toyota is anything but indestructable :(

I do not want to hijack the thread but am I right assuming that this problem is a feature of 1.8 petrol engines? Are D4D 2.0 (up to 2006) engines affected in a similar way?

Cheers.

Its a problem with the 1zz fe(1.8vvt-i) 3zz-fe(1.6vvt-i) 4zz-fe(1.4vvt-i) engines only. Its down to the oil control ring, and a piston desgin defect.

Its a problem with the 1zz fe(1.8vvt-i) 3zz-fe(1.6vvt-i) 4zz-fe(1.4vvt-i) engines only. Its down to the oil control ring, and a piston desgin defect.

Thanks Steve for this explanation!

Cheers

• 1 month later...

HI All,

So i have been to my local toyota dealer, they topped up oil and told me to come back after 500 miles, which i did i used 1 litre in 545 miles.

A new engine has been ordered and is going to be fitted on the 17th.....

Good result.....thanks to all for the info

HI All,

So i have been to my local toyota dealer, they topped up oil and told me to come back after 500 miles, which i did i used 1 litre in 545 miles.

A new engine has been ordered and is going to be fitted on the 17th.....

Good result.....thanks to all for the info

hi mate

yes it is thhe best conclusion + good luck.

cheers/igor

Does this problem only effect the Avensis 1.8 or does it also effect the Corolla T Sport as well?

Its just that mine has used 4.5 litres in 5,500 miles and now its seized the crank so I can't drive it at all. Toyota have said it probably needs a new 3/4 engine job. :(

Does this problem only effect the Avensis 1.8 or does it also effect the Corolla T Sport as well?

Its just that mine has used 4.5 litres in 5,500 miles and now its seized the crank so I can't drive it at all. Toyota have said it probably needs a new 3/4 engine job. :(

it is really too much and nothing to say.

i use an aditive called Roial and it helps to reduce an oil consumption.

it really helps me

It's down to the engine number. I had my engine replaced in my Avensis and told my friend about it and Toyota replaced the engine in his Celica, we both have 1ZZ engines. Another guy I work with heard about this and contacted Toyota about his Celica but he has a 2ZZ engine, so they won't entertain it as they say there is no problem with that type. Good luck. :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links