Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1996 Carina E 1.8 Front Washers Not Working

Crumble

Hi

Just bought a mint Carina. Didn't test the washers when I test drove it (Doh...)

Rear washers work fine but when I try the fronts there's no pump noise at all. Checked the voltages and sure enough no 12v to the relevant connection. Am I thinking control stalk or do any of you wise folk have experience of this to point me in a different direction?

Oh and while I'm here this Carina and the Avensis I had before seem to have no front grip at all. Lots of understeer if even the slightest bit frisky.. Is that just the way it is?

Many thanks

Crumble

• 6 months later...

Hi

Just bought a mint Carina. Didn't test the washers when I test drove it (Doh...)

Rear washers work fine but when I try the fronts there's no pump noise at all. Checked the voltages and sure enough no 12v to the relevant connection. Am I thinking control stalk or do any of you wise folk have experience of this to point me in a different direction?

Oh and while I'm here this Carina and the Avensis I had before seem to have no front grip at all. Lots of understeer if even the slightest bit frisky.. Is that just the way it is?

Many thanks

Crumble

Hiya,

Sounds like the washer pump has given up, a trip to the scrap yard should be taken!! make sure you get the corresponding motor because they are different front to back.

As for the under steering problem, maybe better tyres are called for, failing that neither cars are renowned for their sports car handling....just a fact of the design!!

Hi

Many thanks

Crumble

Hiya,

Sounds like the washer pump has given up, a trip to the scrap yard should be taken!! make sure you get the corresponding motor because they are different front to back.

As for the under steering problem, maybe better tyres are called for, failing that neither cars are renowned for their sports car handling....just a fact of the design!!

i agree with brett, fuses, connections and pump first then start getting into expensive stuff like stalks and things.

all carinas suffer from a tad of understeer, however there are a few things you can do, like renew antiroll bar bushes and fitting a stabalizing bar etc. unless you drive like me you won't need them ;)

oh, and by the way welcome to site. :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links