Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Oxygen Sensor ? Rav 4 2002 Model Nrg

martinrav4

just took the rav in as the malfunction indiacator light has come on

any way took to toyota solihull main dealer they just rang said its the oxygen sensor £175 to replace part and £75 fitting

any ideas if i need this doing or shaw i just leave it as the car is working fine

any way took to toyota solihull main dealer they just rang said its the oxygen sensor £175 to replace part and £75 fitting

any ideas if i need this doing or shaw i just leave it as the car is working fine

just spoke to the tec guy at the service when i picked the car up

he said its fault code p0161 oxygen sensor bank 2 sensor 2 part no 89465-42100

he said it will need doing as the car may feel abit rough after a while

does anyone no anywhere where i can get cheaper parts from cheers

First of all you need to know which sensor it is. Seeing that they have diagnosed the fault, ask them for the readout or diagnosis number, (usually starts with a P)

If you are currently finding no difference in performance, the odds are that it is the heater in the sensor which has gone open circuit. So no problem there then.

If you need to get rid of the MIL permanently you can either cough up the loot or make the ECU believe that the heater is present. This is done by wiring across the heater circuit (the ECU side, on the sensor plug/socket) with a 15 ohm heatsink resistor. The higher the wattage the better, screw this to a metal part to dissipate the heat even more.

You will find when unplugging the plug/socket there will be four wires, usually two white and two black. Not sure which ones are the heater but if you can find someone with a multimeter they will find an open circuit on the pair that matters.

Then go back to the socket that connects to the ECU and wire the resistor across them.

Reconnect the Battery (which you should have disconnected anyway) and the fault light will have vanished for good, or until you blow another heater circuit.

Or you can just carry on motoring regardless. The problem with doing this is that the permanent light may be masking some important fault.

The resistors can be bought at Maplins or other electronic outlets, they are only a few £'s if that!

Best of luck

Bill Mak

Beat me to it with the "P" numbers.

Anchorman will probably be able to verify the diagnostics and point you to the position on the vehicle.

has anyone got a diagram or photo of which sensor it is as i can see 3 of them and want to change it my self but havent got a clue which one im meant to change

the one i need to change is

oxygen sensor bank 2 sensor 2 part no 89465-42100

has anyone got a diagram or photo of which sensor it is as i can see 3 of them and want to change it my self but havent got a clue which one im meant to change

the one i need to change is

oxygen sensor bank 2 sensor 2 part no 89465-42100

I presume you mean petrol. I don't have a diagram but it is the one after the cat.

The description Bank 2 sensor 2 means;

The bank refers to the cylinder block. In a vee engine there are 2 blocks - bank 1 and bank 2.

In a straight engine there is only bank 2.

The sensor refers to the one before the cat - sensor 1 and the one after the cat - sensor 2.

I hope this helps.

I don't know what the 3rd item is you can see without more description but it isn't an oxygen sensor.

sensors 1 are the top two and sensors two the bottom ones. Bank 1 is the passenger side (RHD cars) I'm talking about 4.2 Ravs btw.

sensors 1 are the top two and sensors two the bottom ones. Bank 1 is the passenger side (RHD cars) I'm talking about 4.2 Ravs btw.

I'm interested in where you got this info from.

To my knowledge bank one refers to a vee engine and as the engine is configured with No 1 cylinder at the front. Bank one normally contains No 1 cylinder so in a V6 bank one will contain cylinders 1,2 and 3 and bank two 4,5 and 6.

When the engine is transversely mounted again bank 1 will be at the front but in this case as long as the engine turns clockwise (as most do) then cylinders 4,5 and 6 will be at the front in bank 1.

In a straight engine things are simplified as in this case there is only one bank in the same position as No 2 bank on a vee engine (nearest the back of the car or the exhaust) and so is refered to as bank 2. A Honda straight 4 which has a an anti-clockwise rotating engine the pulleys are on the passenger side (LH of the car or RH as you look under the bonnet) will still be refered to as bank 2 when mounted transversly.

I hope this makes sense but if you have some info that says otherwise please let me know.

Regards

Anchorman. This is one of those silly phrases used by Toyota, sadly it means nothing like the old terms we know with Vee engines and the like. PMB is correct with the sensors, it's more a case of top sensor right hand side (bank one sensor one) I cant access my image files today, but will post an image up on Monday (If I remember :D:)

MARTINRAV4

I will price one for you on Monday if your not fixed up already

Cheers

Kingo :thumbsup:

Anchorman. This is one of those silly phrases used by Toyota, sadly it means nothing like the old terms we know with Vee engines and the like. PMB is correct with the sensors, it's more a case of top sensor right hand side (bank one sensor one) I cant access my image files today, but will post an image up on Monday (If I remember :D:)

MARTINRAV4

I will price one for you on Monday if your not fixed up already

Cheers

Kingo :thumbsup:

Okey Dokey

Cheers

• 9 months later...

Am also looking for the 89465-42100 (p0161 code) part in the UK.

For those that have replaced this Oxygen sensor, Any recommended sites that stock these in the UK?

I have found one for £64 at Just Lambda, but its not a Denso/toyota. Any idea what kind of prices this part usually goes for? It will be for a 2002 4.2GX. From what I can gather, the Denso part is 234-4048 but dont seem to find UK stockists.

Thanks

I'm looking for one too. The dealer replaced the top right hand one last year and the light has just come on again. I've heard that it is usually one of the top two that go on the heater circuit. Are all 4 different ?

Hi

Yep. you are after the Oxygen Sensor not the Air/ fuel Sensor

I have a new Denso 89467-42010 which is the top right Air/fuel pre-cat sensor I bought in error as I needed the top left Air/Fuel sensor.

They may be the same as the top left A/F sensor but the plug is slightly different, I was tempted to put the old plug on the Sensor but thought better of it. just in case there was a difference.

Just to repeat.. the top two sensors are pre-cat Air/fuel sensors and the bottom two are post cat Oxygen sensors...

the one I have for sale is the Pre-cat and fitted on the right top looking into the engine bay.

Cheers

Oh, and best wishes for the New Year to all members of the forum. :D

John

Hopefully my sensor will arrive this week. Being one of the low sensors, I'll probably tackle it from underneath, raising the front slightly on a pair of ramps. The only thing worrying me is the cold floor! Still - they lasted more than 80,000 miles, so I guess it was asking too much of them to be everlasting!

Hopefully my sensor will arrive this week. Being one of the low sensors, I'll probably tackle it from underneath, raising the front slightly on a pair of ramps. The only thing worrying me is the cold floor! Still - they lasted more than 80,000 miles, so I guess it was asking too much of them to be everlasting!

Did you order from Just Lambda? Let us know how you got on, if all ok i'm going to order one myself soon.

• 2 weeks later...

The sensor arrived at the new year and the weather has finally warmed up enough to do anything about it.

I ordered the replacement part from Just Lambda. Raised the front on a pair of ramps and unplugged the faulty sensor. before pulling out the clips tht hold the cable in place. Actually the removing of the clips took longer than the unscrewing of the sensor. Its a straight replacement, fits perfectly. The length of the cable is slightly longer than the OEM one. I used a split socket to get at the thing. An extention tube for your socket set comes in handy for extra leverage - short sharp violent tap and it immediately comes loose. A bit of antiseize paste is supplied with the sensor. Apply a bit to the sensor thread. Use a torque wrench to tighten it to about 44Nm. After fitting, use an OBD tool to reset the engine light.

Thats the model I used, except I bought the U380 from Amazon, as my 2002 doesnt have canbus I dont think. The only thing that might be useful as you undo the old sensor is maybe a pair of protective goggles. That evening, I was picking and extracting flakes of rust that had fallen into my eyes! Think Cotton bud in the eye!

Just plugged in obd reader and mines the same faulty one. Bank 2 Sensor 2 P0161

Am I right in saying it is the lower drivers side (After CAT) sensor?

Correct - In terms of the wiring, it is probably the left connector. but Id trace it just to double check. There were only two clips holding the cable in place. The first is the one you can see from inside the bonnet, the second is underneath, closer to the sensor. A ball of string comes in handy for pulling the lead back up after you have replaced the sensor. As the cable is slightly longer than the OEM cable, you might want to gather up the slack at the bottom of the car. You dont want the cable being caught by the radiator fan blades.

Hello peeps

I'm new to the forum.

I'm having a similar problem. Been told i need a new a/f sensor for 2002 nrg. Been told its Bank 1 sensor 1.

Does anyone know how much the part is likely to be? Part number? where to get it from etc

Also did someone mention posting a picci of where the sensors are?

And off topic i know, but can anyone recommend where to look for reasonable priced front brake pads and discs?

Cheers me dears

:band:

• 7 months later...

Hi,

I know that it's old post but I have the same problem with oxxygen sensor 89465-42100 I found in USA Denso OEM part 234-4048 but I'm not sure if it will works. Does anybody know if this part will be ok?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links