Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

54' T4 D4-d Rubbing/knocking Noise

wobbler

Hi all, First post so please go easy :)

Picked up my first Avensis yesterday, I bought it from my employer as we have just replaced our company cars with new Avensis's.

Its done 113,000 miles but has full service history, It runs fine apart from a 'bumping' noise when travelling. The previous owner believes it to be the front passenger wheel bearing but I just wanted to check here first in case any of you have experienced this.

As I increase speed the 'rubbing' noise gets faster, Its as if there is something on the wheel 'rubbing' the arch, It is also present when not in gear and not accelerating which hopefully rules out the gearbox/flywheel issue.

Many thanks in advance.

If the bearing is worn to such an extent you would hear a constant humming which would be louder when truning right or going around a roundabout.

I would first dismantle the brakes to stablish it's not disc or pad related. The brake backing plate may also be fouling on the disc. look for bright metal patches.

My money would be on a buckled hub. The car will have been heavily kerbed in the past. This will mean that the discs follow an uneven cycle and will effectively move in/out as the wheel spins. This causes the discs to catch on the pads every revolution. This will vary with road speed.

It is difficult to detect. but should be apparent to the eye if the front end is jacked up and the car started and put into gear. The spinning wheels should give away any distortion.

If the bearing is worn to such an extent you would hear a constant humming which would be louder when truning right or going around a roundabout.

I would first dismantle the brakes to stablish it's not disc or pad related. The brake backing plate may also be fouling on the disc. look for bright metal patches.

My money would be on a buckled hub. The car will have been heavily kerbed in the past. This will mean that the discs follow an uneven cycle and will effectively move in/out as the wheel spins. This causes the discs to catch on the pads every revolution. This will vary with road speed.

It is difficult to detect. but should be apparent to the eye if the front end is jacked up and the car started and put into gear. The spinning wheels should give away any distortion.

Many thanks for your quick reply, there is a constant humming when driving but there is also a 'dum' noise with each revolution of the wheel, So I'm still clinging onto the hope that its the bearing! I will get a mechanic friend of mine to have a look at the brakes though and check with the previous owner to see if he has kerbed.

Many thanks.

It was the bearing (phew), just picked it up and it feels like a different car :)

Thanks for all your advice.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links