Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How To Push The Aygo Anyone?

dfauchier

im the new proud owner of an aygo blue petrol 5dr (manual). had it for 2 weeks now and i love it!. however i was wondering if any of the more experienced owners had some tips on how to get the maximum aceleration and torque out of the car.

i've found the car to be long-geared, meaning that you can hit 40 in second if you really want to and go straight into 5th, however third feels almost completely dead i get no umph out of it and cant imagine myself using it for overtaking... is this just me? second gear starting at mid revs seems to give me the best acceleration

any suggestions??

im the new proud owner of an aygo blue petrol 5dr (manual). had it for 2 weeks now and i love it!. however i was wondering if any of the more experienced owners had some tips on how to get the maximum aceleration and torque out of the car.

i've found the car to be long-geared, meaning that you can hit 40 in second if you really want to and go straight into 5th, however third feels almost completely dead i get no umph out of it and cant imagine myself using it for overtaking... is this just me? second gear starting at mid revs seems to give me the best acceleration

any suggestions??

any suggestions??

40 in 2nd is that all be brave take it from me it will do 60 in 2nd and you wont kill it RPM is wot it needs if you want it to go ! :crazy:

40 in 2nd is that all be brave take it from me it will do 60 in 2nd and you wont kill it RPM is wot it needs if you want it to go ! :crazy:

i would but i am still running it in and most of all dont have a rev counter so i dont know how badly i am pushing it. i dont want to damage the enigine

its a 1 litre 3 cylinder engine.

My advice is not to push it too much at all - its built for economy on a budget - if you wanted a perfomance car you should have bought one...

Look after it and drive it right, and it'll reward you - it'll do 60mpg and last a lifetime.

Rag it, overrev it, scream around and don't be surprised if problems raise their heads...

• 3 weeks later...

Talking in km/h, 1st - 50, 2nd - 95. At these speeds you will have exactly 6000 rpm.

• 1 month later...

Trying to get any serious acceleration out of the 68bhp is impossible, the unit is only designed for economy. Small engines have generally a small stroke, this means that reving the #rse out of it gives you some improvement in performance, it's side effect is that consumes more fuel and only wears the cylinder block and piston rings out faster. If you consider the engine has X revs in it's lifetime driving using the gearbox to it's optimum uses less revs therefore you get more miles out of the engine if you don't drive it hard. There is only 7mm between each cylinder therefore heat dispersion I assume is critical as overheating the engine by pushing it too hard could warp the head or block, the whole unit is made of light weight alloy and plastic, parts of the engine have been specially coated to reduce friction thus giving maximum torque for a droplet of fuel. Economy is the cars design brief, if you want some fun, buy a second hand Alfa and thash the life out of the engine it's designed to be driven really hard, I used to own one and as long as it's serviced annually it will last for ever (if you can afford the service costs, parts and fuel consumption) :lol:

You wouldn't recommend supercharging one then ricardo? ;)

If you consider the engine has X revs in it's lifetime

Why? There are more important factors than that.

If you buy a Ferrari Enzo it will need an engine rebuild after 40000 miles. Designed for high performance?

There's so much nonsense talked on this forum about "economy" engines. A small engine ought to last a lot longer than a bigger, more powerful one as the heat dissipation and mechanical stress problems are considerably fewer.

Paul.

If you buy a Ferrari Enzo it will need an engine rebuild after 40000 miles. Designed for high performance?

There's so much nonsense talked on this forum about "economy" engines. A small engine ought to last a lot longer than a bigger, more powerful one as the heat dissipation and mechanical stress problems are considerably fewer.

Paul.

although what u are saying is true a ferrari is built solely for performance and racing NOT for reliability now say you have a supra 3.0litre twin turbo that will last u ages even if u rip the sh*t out of it. every part of this engine is beefed up more than a 1.0l so it will take alot more to blow it up than a 1.0l

hope i explained that well lol

The only nonsense is people believing that you can hammer the Aygo's engine and still expect the unit to have the same lifespan. However if anyone wants to have an engine rebuilt go ahead and rev your engine to death, I've recently paid to have an engine rebuilt due to a cambelt failure and at £1,700 it's not cheap. Slap a supercharger or turbo on the engine without modifying any other parts and see how long the engine, clutch, and driveshaft last.

Paul.

The only nonsense is people believing that you can hammer the Aygo's engine and still expect the unit to have the same lifespan. However if anyone wants to have an engine rebuilt go ahead and rev your engine to death, I've recently paid to have an engine rebuilt due to a cambelt failure and at £1,700 it's not cheap. Slap a supercharger or turbo on the engine without modifying any other parts and see how long the engine, clutch, and driveshaft last.

But don't you see that that is true of any engine, not just an economy 1-litre. My point is that there's no reason to single out the three-cylinder engine as being especially vulnerable to high revs when there's absolutely no evidence of that.

Make sure it is properly serviced regularly and your engine should be fine.

Paul.

Wear and tear on an engine has to do with redundancy with in the unit, a 3 litre engine basically asleep when driving a car at 70mph, It's four cylinders each take 25% of the duty and engine is running at say 60% design capacity. However with the Aygo three cylinder engine each cylinder takes 33.33% of the duty, the engine is probably running at 70% of it's design capacity at 70mph.

Another example is in electronics, cheap TV's generally have transformers which run at 100% ie. unit TV uses 200w of electricity and with in the unit the cheapo manufacture installs a 200w transformer, it works fine however that transformer is running a marathon every second of it's life. A more expensive TV may use 200w but the transformer unit installed would perhaps be a 300W unit, this extends it's life since the unit is not running at max performance therefore the heat the unit generates is low and the stress on the component is lower. In the old days installing components with redundancy was common place not because they were better quality but to improve reliability, that's why your granny still has that old radio or goldfish bowl TV set.

All process plants around the world are designed on the same basis as redundancy and duty is critical in the design of a chemical plant.

I started my initial response with the fact the engine has as much power as a hair dryer and pushing it would not give you much improvement as there's not too much to start with, don't get me wrong the AYGO is a fantastic car for getting from A to B, just don't push the engine as it won't enter warp drive as the poor engine is already getting a workout with normal driving.

there's no reason to single out the three-cylinder engine as being especially vulnerable to high revs when there's absolutely no evidence of that.

+1

Redundancy has little to do with the number of cylinders Ricardo; except where you have an engine that can close down some of its cylinders under certain circumstances, which is more than rare.

If you look to the motorbike world you'll see there are a plenty of triples and twins, and even singles that can be highly tuned. And they generally carry less weight than their four cylinder equivalents.

Increasing the number of cylinders usually improves the smoothness of the engine without the need for a large flywheel.

I agree that some engines are more suitable for tuning than others, but you can't identify which ones are over engineered and which ones aren't, by counting the number of cylinders.

The question is, ricardo1000, how is an old Aygo engine going to fail? Which part are you suggesting is going to go wrong first?

Once we know that we can compare to other engines designed for larger power output.

Paul.

If you read my comments properly at no point I'm having a go at three cylinder engines or full redundancy of a cylinder as a Merc or BMW I'am simply trying to point out that a larger engines (cc size) copes with the daily grind better than one which has little puff left when it hits 70mph.

There is no point trying to compare a car engine with a motorbike engine, it's like trying to compare a GTI car to a F1 car, at 18,000rpm a bike engine has such a small stroke and is designed and constructed far better than the alloy lump of scrap metal in a standard car.

One of my posts referred to keeping the rev's low to not wear out the engine, so here's some maths for people to think of:

Engine lifespan 1,000,000,000 revolutions (crankshaft rotations) or revs for short (an example!!!!!!!)

Bob drives all the the revolutions in 1st, Jim drives all the revolutions in 5th

Who will get the most miles out of the engine?

Therefore who wears out the engine the fastest and why?

Why is red lining a engine not a good idea?

Would you describe "Pushing" an engine as over reving in lower gears than changing up?

My advice to the original post is to push it from the back but make sure it's not in gear and the cluch is disengaged :lol:

There is no point trying to compare a car engine with a motorbike engine, it's like trying to compare a GTI car to a F1 car, at 18,000rpm a bike engine has such a small stroke and is designed and constructed far better than the alloy lump of scrap metal in a standard car.

Do you mean a modern lightweight aluminium engine which won 'International Engine of the Year' for sub 1-litre engines? It's not really alloy scrap.

One of my posts referred to keeping the rev's low to not wear out the engine, so here's some maths for people to think of:

Engine lifespan 1,000,000,000 revolutions (crankshaft rotations) or revs for short (an example!!!!!!!)

Bob drives all the the revolutions in 1st, Jim drives all the revolutions in 5th

Who will get the most miles out of the engine?

Therefore who wears out the engine the fastest and why?

Why is red lining a engine not a good idea?

Would you describe "Pushing" an engine as over reving in lower gears than changing up?

How is any of that different for a three-, four-, six- or whatever-cylinder engine? The Aygo has quite long gearing and it's rev limit is only about 6500rpm so that 1000000000 revs is going to last a while compared to say a VTEC or VVTLi.

Paul.

LOL

What's your answer to the maths?

Well, for starters, based on your figure of 1,000,000,000 revs for engine lifetime,

Estimated engine life at full revs is about 42 hours and 45 minutes. Even Ritish Over stuff used to last longer than that. ;)

If you read my comments properly at no point I'm having a go at three cylinder engines or full redundancy of a cylinder as a Merc or BMW I'am simply trying to point out that a larger engines (cc size) copes with the daily grind better than one which has little puff left when it hits 70mph.

I did read your comments properly. Your example very clearly stated:-

It's four cylinders each take 25% of the duty and engine is running at say 60% design capacity. However with the Aygo three cylinder engine each cylinder takes 33.33% of the duty, the engine is probably running at 70% of it's design capacity at 70mph.

How is that not comparing a 3 cylinder engine (unfavourably) to a 4 cylinder one?

Had you said what you now appear to be saying then I'd have agreed with you. In general. Though it's perfectly possible that a well engineered small engine could outlast a badly engineered large engine.

• 3 months later...
I thought the AYGO/C1/107 engine was V-Tech which means it's made able to stay at high revs without any damage?

V-tec? noo VVTi :huh:

You could slip stream me (in my Camry) then on a suitable stretch of road I'll move to one side, or if you want to go even faster I'll lift it into my boot :lol:

Do you Camry drivers even know what a corner is? :lol:

Paul.

I thought the AYGO/C1/107 engine was V-Tech which means it's made able to stay at high revs without any damage?

V-tec? noo VVTi :huh:

Yes. The VVTi is similar to a i-VTEC engine made by Honda. So it's initially a VTEC engine.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links