Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Urgent Help Needed Please

J3NKO

Hi all,

Just looked at an SS1 Gen 6 and its a good price, a price I can't afford to be too picky on but want to make sure I'm not throwing my money away.

My first concern is that on going through the rev range, the engine noise seems too throaty and excessively loud for a standard engine. Its got a standard airbox and everything else appears standard but it sounds like a really loud induction kit has been put on. I've heard induction roar before but this was louder than all of them!

Has anyone had experience of this, does drilling the standard airbox make a racket?? Or maybe someone can suggest something else. I couldn't see any holes on the manifold or downpipes/exhaust but could've missed a crack depending on its position?

The second is that its dropping oil, doesn't look to be much but its passenger side as far as I can tell, what could be the possible demons please??

Its got full service history so it can't be about to explode, but some pece of mind would be nice.

I've been a member for a while as my gf had a Gen 6 at one point and used to check the forums for advice and guides etc.

Your help with this would be really helpful

J3NKO

Sorry, I don't know what the cause of the noise is, but this

Its got full service history so it can't be about to explode

can be a dangerous assumption.

A full Toyota service history is good, but don't assume that it gives you any guarantee that the engine is in a good condition.

True but not sure what elso to do!

I could get an inspection for 155 but thats 155 les that i can spend on the car, or another car if it turns out to be a no go

It's tricky. I'm looking at one myself at the moment. It seems it's difficult to get a good one for less than a couple of grand.

If you're happy that the rest of the car is good - i.e. it's solid and paintwork is in good condition - then if the price is that good you could take the risk on it and budget some money to repair / replace the engine if necessary. SS1 will be an early 3S-GE engine, and they tend to be fairly solid.

Or has anyone else any ideas on the noise that J3NKO described?

You're totally right. I wish I had more to spend but my insurance company are putting me in an awkward position by not giving me much for my existing car (was written off by someone parking in my boot).

Really appreciate you replies T600!

Snap.

Rolla.jpg

Good luck with finding something. I'm not trying to put you off that one; if the price is good then it may well be worth buying.

Especially if someone else can advise what that noise might be.

Let us know how you get on.

It's tricky. I'm looking at one myself at the moment. It seems it's difficult to get a good one for less than a couple of grand.

If you're happy that the rest of the car is good - i.e. it's solid and paintwork is in good condition - then if the price is that good you could take the risk on it and budget some money to repair / replace the engine if necessary. SS1 will be an early 3S-GE engine, and they tend to be fairly solid.

Or has anyone else any ideas on the noise that J3NKO described?

Nope, just to clarify....

3S-FE not 3S-GE.

ah mate, tricky spot, induction kits normally make a hissing sound, the car doesnt have an indicton kit, so thats not the fault, i would have guessed at it being the exhaust or engine,

find out if u can take it for a test drive, ie a couple of miles motor way/dual carriage way, sound might be nothing, car might be cold,

if u are able to take it for a test drive, check the oil level first, and then check again on ur return,check radiator level aswell.

also, before u drive it, look under the hood, where the oil leak is, take it for a drive and then on ur return look at it again and see how bad its leaking, if its all over the place look else where for a new car.

if u do decide to buy it, drive it with caution and wen u have a couple of quid in ur pockert get it checked out.

or on ur test drive u could drive it to a garage and pay them a tenner for a quick inspection, might sound a bit cheeky but if the seller is selling u a car that has no faults he shouldnt have any problems with this then, go to a garage near the seller and give them the heads up.

what ever u decided mate good luck

Hi all,

Just looked at an SS1 Gen 6 and its a good price, a price I can't afford to be too picky on but want to make sure I'm not throwing my money away.

My first concern is that on going through the rev range, the engine noise seems too throaty and excessively loud for a standard engine. Its got a standard airbox and everything else appears standard but it sounds like a really loud induction kit has been put on. I've heard induction roar before but this was louder than all of them!

Has anyone had experience of this, does drilling the standard airbox make a racket?? Or maybe someone can suggest something else. I couldn't see any holes on the manifold or downpipes/exhaust but could've missed a crack depending on its position?

The second is that its dropping oil, doesn't look to be much but its passenger side as far as I can tell, what could be the possible demons please??

Its got full service history so it can't be about to explode, but some pece of mind would be nice.

I've been a member for a while as my gf had a Gen 6 at one point and used to check the forums for advice and guides etc.

Your help with this would be really helpful

J3NKO

Hi J3 - if its losing oil, why not have a look on Autotrader for other Gen 6's in your area - there's probably going to be around 10-15 for £1250 - £2250 in a 40 mile radius - SS1's & SS2's are seen as more exotic - might be worth having a look at a standard UK Gen 6 ? - just another option really - good luck with it all though.

All really fantastic advice peeps and appreciate your input.

UPDATE:

T600 - the guy has said he would let it go for 1200, it was advertised at 1500 so that does give me a couple of hundred spare for urgent work. Its not bad for a 1996 plate with 114K on the clock but the noises have to be taken into consideration obviously. I'll let you know tonight or tomorrow the outcome, thanks again for your advice.

I'm taking a knowledgable mate tonight to have a look and listen, I'm not a novice when it comes to engines but he'll know plenty more than me. If he says to steer clear I will!

Thanks Fiz - thats a good idea, the test drive was very short cos he was rushing to get to football, so going to be a bit more thorough tonight before I consider handing over cash. Thanks for the good luck, I might need it :)

Sump - yeah, its not the end of the world if this doesn't pan it, this one just ticks more of the boxes for me than others in the area but thanks! It really helps to get outsider opinions!

I'll let you know how it goes soon guys, thanks again

J3NKO

Well, I bought it!

My mate checked it over and diagnosed the noise as nothing serious but I'm driving it carefully until its checked by a pro and rectified. In summary, think exhuast near engine on chassis and a tonne of resonnance! Don't know how its happened but i'm making arrangements for a check up very soon to get more answers.

I've been checking the oil and its hardly dropped anything since I picked it up on Monday so thats a good sign. Will still be sorting out the leak at some point cos I can't stand a dirty engine bay!

Am absolutely loving it, really pleased with the ride and comfort for the money. Think I got an absolute bargain. Mint bodywork!

I'll take some pics once its had a proper clean and will update again once its been on the ramps!

you're now officially welcome'd to the club, glad to hear the car aint too bad, hope it dont cause u any probs.

hope u have a long and wonderful stay with us.

Nice one J3NKO. If that noise was just the exhaust, then it sounds like you've got a bargain there.

I'll look forward to pics of it.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the delay peeps!! Ok, so after a new wheel bearing and some care over the paint, I have a cheeky SS-I. Got some work to do on it yet to get it mechanically perfect (the way I like it) but its not a lot of money, just my time!

Image026.jpg

Image027.jpg

Head Gasket seal has perished so its leaking a bit but I've seen a kit for £40 which will sort it out.

There is some knocking at the back which I'm putting down to bushes and drop links but I've not had a look at them yet so hoping its not the "hardest to get to" component!

The rear brake pads are going to need replacing soon and whilst I'm there I'll strip down the calipers and give them some attention and probably some paint.

Those are the short term plans but wanted to show you what you input has given me. I wouldn't have bought it without your advice really. So thanks very much!!

Cheers

J3NKO

Result J3NKO. That looks awesome.

Sounds like you'll have a great car for a bit of work and not much money. Well done.

Hope you enjoy your new car :thumbsup:

Dont let this put you off!

My brother had an 96 GT and it had the same vibration you describe, the problem was traced to the exhaust flexi pipe. This turned out to be suprisingly expensive about £300 from Mr T, however my bro drove the car with the noise for 2yrs and it never caused an issue bar the obvious annoyance of it having a strange sound you could hear from the inside and out.

Cheers T600 - I'm really pleased with it :D

Thanks cabcurtains - the noise is gone now thankfully so no nasty surprises left (at least I hope) but I'll be praying that my flexi pipe stays firmly where it is - £300!!!! :o ouch!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links