Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Which Service To Have ?

gramps99

hi all, i think i know what everyone will say, but thought i would ask all the same :P

i have a 51 reg rav4 nrg (2.0 petrol swb but you allready knew that lol) it has very low mileage currently at 24k. the service history is all by gordon lamb and is as stated below >

intermediate service 4289 miles 20/12/02

full/20k/2 year service 9767 miles 3/1/04

full/40k/4 year service 14808 miles 16/1/06

so i think i need to get it booked in for a service, and i am guessing i should go for a full service as its been a while ? on a sidenote the car only really gets used 2 days a week for work doing 70 miles a day to and from work (35miles there, 35 miles back per day = 140 miles a week)

input welcomed :)

Worth getting the oils changed and the filters. A browse around the rest of the car should show up anything else. Maybe the brake fluid.

I agree.

Even at low mileage some of the fluids degrade with age (due to condensation contamination etc).

The oil is the life blood of the vehicle, rid it to avoid future problems. Low mileage can be more damaging than high.

Its fiddly but if you've got ramps I can explain how to change the oils if you like? Pick a nice day and save a fortune.

Cheers.

cheers for the replies ;) i think the garage i brought the car from did an oil change before they sold it as it was totally clean, the airfilter is also as new. i changed the cabin filter myself as this was in need of a new one, but tbh i think it might be worth getting the full service done :)

• 2 weeks later...

ok just rang my local dealer and they said it would need a 'big' 60k service ? at well over £500 quid :unsure: whats peoples thoughts ? and does this price sound right ? if there is anybody capable of doing this 'full' service for me and earning themselves some money let me know ? (need it doing properly tho ;) )

looks like i gotta work over half a month to pay for this :rolleyes:

Hi Gramps - I just took out a service plan for my RAV 4 (also a 2.0 VVTi) to cover the 40k, 50k and 60k services.

In the process, got quotes for just 40k and 50k and then a quote for 40k, 50k AND 60K. Difference was near enough spot on £300, so that means to me that the BIG 60k service should be about £300, not well over £500.

Get some more quotes, including other Toyota dealers, I think :)

Low mileage, but age comes into the degradation of rubber based things.

However, from memory, is the cam belt not a belt but a chain? In which case it doesn't need changed. But by the sound of it the garage has assumed a cambelt is needed.

The usual oils; gearbox etc oils; filters should be done; flush out coolant system; the only other thing I can see at 60k miles is checking the valve clearances. Other than that normal things to be checked are brake hoses and pipes, - things that an MOT would check. It would be cheaper putting it in for an MOT then get a service done. All in, less than £300 - tell them you're not wanting to buy the garage as well.

It is a chain (if it is VVTi) and although they recommend checking the valve clearances I doubt if they do. There is probably brake fluid to change but ask them to break it down and then come back to us. I think you are entitled to know what is going to cost you £500. Some people wouldn't consider spending any more than that on a fresh car!!!

It is a chain (if it is VVTi) and although they recommend checking the valve clearances I doubt if they do. There is probably brake fluid to change but ask them to break it down and then come back to us. I think you are entitled to know what is going to cost you £500. Some people wouldn't consider spending any more than that on a fresh car!!!

Ehhh - 2 cars please!

thanks for replies guys, gonna have to look into things a bit more (next week as at work fri - sun ) cant believe how much it is tbh, never paid that much including patrs on a 5.0 v12 bm i once had !

anchorman i'm not far from you, is it something you can do/would consider ? ;)

thanks for replies guys, gonna have to look into things a bit more (next week as at work fri - sun ) cant believe how much it is tbh, never paid that much including patrs on a 5.0 v12 bm i once had !

My problem is access. I did wollastons 4.2 - everything including the transmission oil and the brake fluid but he only lives around the corner so we can react quickly to a nice day and do it outside. I have got a pit but my workshop is geared up for woodworking however it will have to be transformed back to garage soon as mine is coming up for its big service and I can assure you it isn't going into a dealer.

I photographed most of wollastons service so I can show you if you want to have a go yourself.

If you are serious about me doing it pm me to discuss.

Regards

My problem is access. I did wollastons 4.2 - everything including the transmission oil and the brake fluid but he only lives around the corner so we can react quickly to a nice day and do it outside. I have got a pit but my workshop is geared up for woodworking however it will have to be transformed back to garage soon as mine is coming up for its big service and I can assure you it isn't going into a dealer.

I photographed most of wollastons service so I can show you if you want to have a go yourself.

Regards

thanks anchorman :) i couldnt attempt it myself really as i probably wouldnt have all the tools for the job, no pit and my car literally just fits in the garage (converted before we brought it from an existing room ) i wouldnt even be able to take a wheel off in there lol but i am pm'ing you shortly ;)

Regards

thanks anchorman :) i couldnt attempt it myself really as i probably wouldnt have all the tools for the job, no pit and my car literally just fits in the garage (converted before we brought it from an existing room ) i wouldnt even be able to take a wheel off in there lol but i am pm'ing you shortly ;)

get in the queue - ah mean really! Wot are you ? French? German? English?

just wanted to say 'thank you' to anchorman. although he cant do my service he has been more than helpfull and a true gent. thanks again mate ;)

just wanted to say 'thank you' to anchorman. although he cant do my service he has been more than helpfull and a true gent. thanks again mate ;)

Crumbs - his head'll never fit thru the cab door! :lol:

after owning a golf with a 310 bhp audi tt engine fitted i thought i had left the confusion of knowing what needs doing ( to a mixmatch of vw and audi car and engine and constantly telling the parts department that putting the reg no. into their system would bring up the original not the car with a completely different make engine in,) behind !

i thought ahh nice standard car, regular servicing no problems......not :(

i have just rang another 'toyota dealer' for a price for the 60k/6year service and this one tells me that it doesnt need or include diff/gearbox oil changing ? (like the other dealer said it did ! ? ) they said that the diff/gearbox oil would have been done on the 4 year/40k service (which mine had done at 14k )

so i contacted the dealer which did the 40k and they confirmed that diff/gearbox oil was done, hooray ! so this shouldnt be needed now and this latest dealer seems correct.......................but also want nearly £400

for spark plugs, oil/filter, and brake fluid change !!

life used to be so simple :( i am not tight but just dont want to be ripped off and like to do a bit of checking first before parting with my hard earned. if i had gone along with my local toyota dealer i would have had the diff/gearbox oil changed again at this service (60k) when apparently they dont need doing as they were done at the 40k service (only 10k miles ago although 2 years back )

very confusing :(

ok even more confusing, just rang back the original garage to ask why i was told i needed the diff/gear oil changing and they said they were correct it does need doing and that the other dealer was wrong and had probably quoted for a 2wd :crybaby: but i spoke to a different guy and the big 60k service is all in at £410 now, which is better lol. must say this guy restored my confidence....a little lol

ok even more confusing, just rang back the original garage to ask why i was told i needed the diff/gear oil changing and they said they were correct it does need doing and that the other dealer was wrong and had probably quoted for a 2wd :crybaby: but i spoke to a different guy and the big 60k service is all in at £410 now, which is better lol. must say this guy restored my confidence....a little lol

Aye - an folk wunner why I drink!!

:rolleyes: Hi,

Just a note on service intervals, the norm is one year or 10k whichever comes first,then you get your 20k or two years, for cars that do a low milage toyota run a different service schedule where by the car details are put in the computer ie age and mileage and a service that fits is brought up,its called a Matrix sevice plan and because most of our cars in the Island do low mileage this is mainly what we use. Both dealers may be right in their quotes but may be quoting for different services,the gearbox and diff oils are changed on a 60k but not necessarly on a Matrix 6 year service, if your vehicle does low mileage service it by the Matrix system its also cheaper.

Regards,

Hedley.

:rolleyes: Hi,

Just a note on service intervals, the norm is one year or 10k whichever comes first,then you get your 20k or two years, for cars that do a low milage toyota run a different service schedule where by the car details are put in the computer ie age and mileage and a service that fits is brought up,its called a Matrix sevice plan and because most of our cars in the Island do low mileage this is mainly what we use. Both dealers may be right in their quotes but may be quoting for different services,the gearbox and diff oils are changed on a 60k but not necessarly on a Matrix 6 year service, if your vehicle does low mileage service it by the Matrix system its also cheaper.

Regards,

Hedley.

chers hedley, i have never heard of this and most of the time they havent asked what the mileage is, only i tell them it is low. to say i am very, very dissapointed with toyota regarding info, patronising manner etc with regards to service is an understatment. i love my car but dont honestly know i would recomend or buy another toyota now :( a comparison can be drawn with ford's service in my experience now.

:rolleyes: Ya let us know how you get on, they will probley will not admit that the the service plan exsists as its not so good on the upsale of parts, It still includes your brake fluid change every two years but reduces things like air/pollen filter changes and gearbox /diff oil changes,also rear parkbrake shoe adjustment and others.

Hedley.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links