Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Exhaust Steam

amserve

hi all

I have noticed recently that the exhaust is spraying out water intermittently, and is always wet looking when engine is running. ANy ideas? It drives fine, and, radiator is always fully pressured, even after an hour of rest after driving when i check the radiator cap, its hot and shoots out like its on fire!!

ANy suggestions pls

Then don't remove the cap - you'll scald yourself. Just check the level and the temperature dial from time to time.

The production of water (H20) is a natural byproduct of burning fuel (which contains H) and Air (which contains O). So some water production is inevitable. You don't normally notice it though, except on a very cold day.

If the car runs OK, performs well and has reasonable fuel consumption I don't think you've anything to worry about.

hi all

I have noticed recently that the exhaust is spraying out water intermittently, and is always wet looking when engine is running. ANy ideas? It drives fine, and, radiator is always fully pressured, even after an hour of rest after driving when i check the radiator cap, its hot and shoots out like its on fire!!

ANy suggestions pls

hello mate

check with coollant level when the engine is cold before starting. in case your radiator got less coolant level - it means the gasket under the cyl cover is burnt out and intercommunicates combustion chamber and cooling circle. but at cold starting and normal performance of the cat convertor some steam and water is admissible.

check with engine what is going on carefully. by the way - you can also check with colour of the coolant ( before cold startiing)and compare those new poured into rediator and your actual coolant colour. in case an actual one is dark then it is a signal of gasket burning out. be careful

cheers/igor

hi all

ANy suggestions pls

in addition to my previous - note that the more humidity in the sucted air the more steam and water condensate are apeared when cold started.

cheers/igor

Then don't remove the cap - you'll scald yourself. Just check the level and the temperature dial from time to time.

The production of water (H20) is a natural byproduct of burning fuel (which contains H) and Air (which contains O). So some water production is inevitable. You don't normally notice it though, except on a very cold day.

If the car runs OK, performs well and has reasonable fuel consumption I don't think you've anything to worry about.

I have to go along with what T600 says above. That said, a dripping exhaust is normal and yet you say that yours is spraying. Are you an extrovert craving attention? :P

Seriously, do as T600 says and check the levels and temperature regularly. If there is no noticeable changes and the car is performing well then I reckon you'll be ok.

TeyaDog

I was told by a mechanic many years ago that at least once a week you should give the car a good run at speed. This gets rid of water that lies in the bottom of the exhaust. It seems to work. My last car, Carina E, from new went 180,000 miles, same exhaust system

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links