Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help Please.my Gearbox Has Gone And Wont Start

oneandonlydenman

hi i am a newbie so excuse my ignorance.

i have just bought a toyota avensis from a car auction. 1.8vvti vermont. 51 plate with 62,000 on clock.

i thought i had just got a real bargain at £920 but this was not to be as when i drove out the gate and went for 2nd gear it would not hold and kept chucking it back out of gear.all other gears were fine.the car was making a noise whilst driving but not when out of gear it was also very sluggish. anyways i knew the gearbox was goosed so thought i will nurse it home but after 10 miles 1st gear went but i managed to get it going again in first 3rd 4th and 5th after another 8 miles the noise got worse then the engine managemant light came on so did the oil warning light,2 miles later lose of power and lots of black smoke so i pulled over to discover gear oil had spilled out. switched it off and let it cool down but it now will not start cant get it into neutral neither. all i can hear is the starter motor ticking.will a new gearbox solve my problem or have i goosed the engine.

its a shame as its a tidy car with not many miles. i didnt pay much for it but how much is it gonna cost for parts as i can get someone to fix it.

i have just bought a toyota avensis from a car auction. 1.8vvti vermont. 51 plate with 62,000 on clock.

i thought i had just got a real bargain at £920 but this was not to be as when i drove out the gate and went for 2nd gear it would not hold and kept chucking it back out of gear.all other gears were fine.the car was making a noise whilst driving but not when out of gear it was also very sluggish. anyways i knew the gearbox was goosed so thought i will nurse it home but after 10 miles 1st gear went but i managed to get it going again in first 3rd 4th and 5th after another 8 miles the noise got worse then the engine managemant light came on so did the oil warning light,2 miles later lose of power and lots of black smoke so i pulled over to discover gear oil had spilled out. switched it off and let it cool down but it now will not start cant get it into neutral neither. all i can hear is the starter motor ticking.will a new gearbox solve my problem or have i goosed the engine.

its a shame as its a tidy car with not many miles. i didnt pay much for it but how much is it gonna cost for parts as i can get someone to fix it.

will start as the Battery is just flat.

got a gearbox coming on tuesday for £275.00 delivered which after phoning alot of breaker yards is very cheap some were quoting £500.

all in all £920+£275 for gearbox + £150 to fit. how much is a car of this model worth.

will start as the Battery is just flat.

got a gearbox coming on tuesday for £275.00 delivered which after phoning alot of breaker yards is very cheap some were quoting £500.

all in all £920+£275 for gearbox + £150 to fit. how much is a car of this model worth.

Check Parkers Guide - You will either be smiling or grimmacing!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links