Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Late Camry Diesels, Any Info...

flexy7

:huh: Come on guys, any views on say -the late imported XJ 2.2 Diesels,I know a few members have some VERY strong views on Japanese imports (You know who you are) so please ,any comments are welcome. (They can't all be bad) I'm most concerned with the Camry-like imports (i.e.XJ),how reliable are the 2.2 diesels in the camry-like cars,I know they are generally dodgy when married to the imported "Previa"clones. I'm waiting,fire away... :rolleyes:

what would be wrong with an import? im sure theyre just as good as toyotas bought here. theyre not going to be crap just cos they were originally sold in japan, theyre just the same theyre still toyotas after all. and im sure the 2.2 engine is just as reliable in a imported camry as it is in the uk spec toyota models its fitted to. have you thought about looking for reviews on uk cars with this engine?

Some ppl reckon that imports from Japan are of a potentially better condition than uk made comparative models.

This is probably due to the difference in climate and treatment of ice. For starters some believe Japan to have a less wet climate which means less water on the car through the year, ergo sum less rust causing stuff. Also, Ice is I have been told treated with a chemical that is not salt and does not linger on cars causing corrosion. I use the term believe because I havn't been to Japan yet so cannot confirm, but if they dont actually use salt then kudos to them.

I will say that the bodywork on my 1 year old import(when I got it) was immaculate without any rust at all, solid panels etc.

This is not to say however that a vehicle has not had the balls razzed of it in Japland, or been treated poorly.

Possibly the best thing to do is look at a few reviews of the uk model on reputable car sites and see if it fits your general requirements... if it does go take a look at a few and have a drive if possible. If you like them, find a very good one and want it.. buy it. Possibly not the most informative answer but the biggest most harmful part in the entire equation is previous owners....

The thing is that the late UK Camrys never came with a diesel engine, And everyone knows the terrible tales of 2.2 diesel "Previas", Though that was more down to where the engine was fitted , virtually mid-engined I beleived. Just wanted more info before taking a chance on an import. Anyway I've just bought a UK spec (used) Camry, I bottled it, Sticking to what I know for the time being.

i do hope you got a goodun as theres nothing worse than getting stung by some f'in charlatan. I didn't know that as I'm not really inclined towards those types of vehicles but whether import or uk I just meant you can buy duffers from anywhere ;) GL with the new car :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links