Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Noise From Engine When Starting After Overnight

acey37

Hi hope someone can give some suggestions, My wifes Toyota Avensis T3-S D-4D has done 65,000 miles. it sounds a quite typical diesel ,but when left overnight when we first start it for 3 or 4 mins or 2 to 3 miles it has a really loud noise similar to a very pronouced diesel knock ? it totally is spoiling the car, it still has warranty till june, as we bought it from an approved toyota dealer and got a years approved toyota warranty, but the dealer is 4 hours each way drive, we got it serviced at the due 10,ooo miles and left the car the evening before at our local toyota dealer with full explanations and even a typed note explaining you only get the noise after a long preiod of 12 hours or so then it disapears for the rest of the day,

but they failed to bother to drive it, just straight into the workshop and up on the ramp for oil change etc, a friend has suggested it could be injectors, what do you think also any ideas if a courtesy car is part of the warranty on used cars, i couldc then choose a new dealer within an hour or so, but my wife relys on this car.

Any suggestions to pin point this noise would be terrific, the car always starts first time although we think it lacks power a little until the noise dissapears.

Thanks

Hi hope someone can give some suggestions, My wifes Toyota Avensis T3-S D-4D has done 65,000 miles. it sounds a quite typical diesel ,but when left overnight when we first start it for 3 or 4 mins or 2 to 3 miles it has a really loud noise similar to a very pronouced diesel knock ? it totally is spoiling the car, it still has warranty till june, as we bought it from an approved toyota dealer and got a years approved toyota warranty, but the dealer is 4 hours each way drive, we got it serviced at the due 10,ooo miles and left the car the evening before at our local toyota dealer with full explanations and even a typed note explaining you only get the noise after a long preiod of 12 hours or so then it disapears for the rest of the day,

but they failed to bother to drive it, just straight into the workshop and up on the ramp for oil change etc, a friend has suggested it could be injectors, what do you think also any ideas if a courtesy car is part of the warranty on used cars, i couldc then choose a new dealer within an hour or so, but my wife relys on this car.

Any suggestions to pin point this noise would be terrific, the car always starts first time although we think it lacks power a little until the noise dissapears.

Thanks

Hello Mate

the reasons: take off all fuel valves and perform an idle test to check with each one injection spray.

the lose of power is a result that an extensive fuel is injected into cylinders resulting knocks. I presume after a while these knoks disappear.

It is typical -- do not worry

cheers/igor

Thanks

Hello Mate

the reasons: take off all fuel valves and perform an idle test to check with each one injection spray.

the lose of power is a result that an extensive fuel is injected into cylinders resulting knocks. I presume after a while these knoks disappear.

cheers/igor

The problem and noise was not there for the first 4 months after we bought the car at 55,000 but some days its really realy noisy and sure aint like any diesel we have owned and we have had 4 diesel cars, but thanks for the tech info it all helps when i book it in to a dealer but i wont live with this noise.

Strangely enough my 2.2 T-spirit D-4D also has lots of intrusive 'piston slap', 'diesel clatter' when starting from cold. Usually lasts around 2-3 miles before getting quiet. Is this normal? I have not noticed it (so intrusive) on other diesel cars I drive (usually Ford Focus's and Mondeos - hire cars). Does anyone think it will get worse? :(

Thanks

Strangely enough my 2.2 T-spirit D-4D also has lots of intrusive 'piston slap', 'diesel clatter' when starting from cold. Usually lasts around 2-3 miles before getting quiet. Is this normal? I have not noticed it (so intrusive) on other diesel cars I drive (usually Ford Focus's and Mondeos - hire cars). Does anyone think it will get worse? :(

Thanks

hello

it is admissible some noisy work at cold starting. but this noise is understood must not be like from tractor's engine.

in case youor engine is quite after 2-3 miles -- than all must be in order.

you can also lift a bonnet up and start engine as for idle tunning -- listen it carefully --to be sure the noise becomes less and less thanks to cylinders warming up. i do not see any worries basing on your statement.

cheers/igor

Thanks

Hello Mate

cheers/igor

The problem and noise was not there for the first 4 months after we bought the car at 55,000 but some days its really realy noisy and sure aint like any diesel we have owned and we have had 4 diesel cars, but thanks for the tech info it all helps when i book it in to a dealer but i wont live with this noise.

hello mate

you can't be sure that fuel injection system has been dully serviced before this car purchasing especially at 55k on the clock.

there are three main reasons of noise: 1) injection timing; 2) atomizers performance; 3)HP fuel injection pump performance.

i do not conside another minor reazons now (they are also available). by the way -- please screw out all glow plugs and check with each cylinder compression.. in case that is less than limits -- this is another reazon ---> in details --- the diesel is ignited at definite temp reached by a compression and in case you have poor compression then this MAX temp is LESS then required and the diesel is just accumulated inside of cylinders and burned partly. for this reazons you hear knocks + you feel the lose of power.

my advise is that you have to test your engine very carefully. normally i have had a log and entried records on engine testing; testing of injectors. when you have it -- you can easy find what goes wrong.

good luck/igor :)

Thank you Igor! As I have only recently purchased the car i will ask the garage their opinion and then also ask them to make a note of the conversation just in case it does get worse. Have to say though, with hire cars my ears are not so attuned, but with my own car my ears are like an owls!

The noise is more like a tractor for the 3 to 4 mins or like i already stated 3 to 4 miles, its definately got a fault like injectors , fuel delivery or similar, problem is when bought it i got 1 year warranty which is up mid june, our local dealer is a 10 min drive and being honest they are a group with 4 different franchises and i dont believe they are the most experienced , when i get more facts i am going to another dealer , thanks for all suggestions,

The question is

if the fuel delivery system is "faulty"

Does the engine struggle to maintain idle when warm or cold ?

The question is

if the fuel delivery system is "faulty"

Does the engine struggle to maintain idle when warm or cold ?

Hello CMIA

the fuel delivery system is not simple pc of something.

please make clear or state definitely what did you mean as "FAULT"??

the guy needs help but not general phrases.

best wishes/igor :)

igor

you have missed the point...

Read again, and ... tell me why i ask the question.

hi

yes u r right

sorry did not catch your point.

:D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links