Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Converting T Sport To Lpg

Zulmi

Hi Guys,

Well as the title suggests im thinking of converting my T Sport to LPG as filling up is making me cry every time :crybaby: . But im not really sure if I should go through with it so was wondering if any advice could be offered. I know it would save me about £600 in fuel every year and also the road tax would not be as much but im more worried about the performance would it still be the same? :unsure: I don’t want the lift to disappear!!! Has anyone else looked into this?

Thanks

I would never do this to any vehicle, especially one has highly charged as a CTS, in my experience the downsides out weigh the positives:

No boot space anymore

Cutting a hole in the quarter panel or bumper

Cracked heads

Reduced engine life

What the fire brigade say when they find your crashed car (they don't like gas cylinders)

Mr T or any local garage will struggle to work on it if it breaks

No car manufacturers sell these anymore due to all the problems, thats why they have moved on to super Diesels and Hybrids

How many miles will you have to do to pay for the conversion?

Just mine opinion.

I would never do this to any vehicle, especially one has highly charged as a CTS, in my experience the downsides out weigh the positives:

No boot space anymore

Cutting a hole in the quarter panel or bumper

Cracked heads

Reduced engine life

What the fire brigade say when they find your crashed car (they don't like gas cylinders)

Mr T or any local garage will struggle to work on it if it breaks

No car manufacturers sell these anymore due to all the problems, thats why they have moved on to super Diesels and Hybrids

How many miles will you have to do to pay for the conversion?

Just mine opinion.

It would only cost me £900 to get it converted as I know the guy doing the job (that’s one of the main reason im looking at getting it done) so it would pay for itself within two years. The other points you suggested are definitely worth considering, I’ve been looking on the net and found this website http://www.greenfuel.org.uk they have a FAQ section which seems to suggest the opposite of what you are saying i.e. engine will last a lot longer so getting a bit more confused. I think I need to look into it a lot more before making my mind up.

lf it was on a V8 Petrol Range Rover or similar i would have no hesitation's as these engine are big low revving units that are proven to take it.

If you do do it, keep us posted it would be interesting to hear how the VVT-LI gets on :D

Hmm something about high revving and LPG dont seem to go together. I'm betting you'd need some kind of mod ontop of the LPG for lift, but I have no idea about LPG anyway so I guess only the experts would know.

Personally If I was that worried about fuel consumption and saving money I'd just buy a diesel.

I wouldnt bother mate....car would probably feel like dung due to the relatively low torque of the CTS with the extra weight.....I know how you feel about fuel consumption....mine is terrible...especially coming from a 1.25 zetec fiesta!

Maybe I'm being pedantic, but surely you would've looked at the cost of running and depreciation before you purchased the CTS! LPG on the VVTLi seems weird to me! Diesel's best balance for performance against costs.

to be honest this is the worst idea ive heard in a long time, no1 in the right mind gets a 190bhp high reving sport perfomance car to then go and turn it into a lpg, why not swap yr t sport for a corolla t3 then convert then u will save even more.

dont know if im in the same boat as you lot here but i got my t sport to drive hard hitting lift as much as possible regardless of how much it is costing as i love the buzz it gives me. i got this car knowing it aint going to be cheep to run so i put up with the prices. i think people need to do more research before buying their cars. for 1, petrol aint going to get cheaper by the year its going to get more expensive this is comon sense, and 2) same goes with tax.

im starting to get tired of people complaining of runing costs about our car, i bet it is hardly a patch on other hot hatches in our league.

When I first heard this idea I thought it was crazy. The VVTLi engine would be the last one I'd have thought of running off LPG.

But having read a few articles on the nature of LPG I'm beginning to wonder. LPG apparently leads to a hotter burn engine, which could be bad for the valves, but on the other hand if it works then LPG costs with CTS like performance could be a winner. Apparently engines running on LPG aren't quite as good at the top end so you will lose something, but compared to the average engine it should still be a blast i.e. more fun than most diesels without most of the inherent disadvantages.

And you can always switch back to petrol when you really need the power. So if you do go ahead with it, it'll be interesting to hear how it goes.

LPG in modern cars is pants!

Toyota will not warrant any engine run on LPG.......It is unlikely that you are still in warranty but if it were, you would invalidate it. It causes all sorts of valve seat/valve problems, Don't do it on anything newish, especially a T Sport for gawds sake :eek:

It is half the price and tempting, if you want value for money, buy a diesel :D:

Kingo :thumbsup:

NITROUS IN A T SPORT ANYONE....ID LOVE TO SEE IT....FORGET SAVING PETROL LOL

haha i mentioned this when i first got my t sport 5 months back, couple people told me to enjoy the car as it is lol

however one person replies saying you have to be carefull with NOS as it can cause problems to your engine as they sometimes are not strong enough to handle the sudden surge of power. think you need to know a lot about NOS, dry or wet kits, push of a button or accelerator to the floor etc.

as you say i would love to see it too, if i could afford the t sport as a second run about then i would try it lol :)

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies I think im going to opt out as im too unsure about it. My main reasoning for it would have been not to hit the high revs whilst on LPG mode but to switch to petrol when I wanted to this, the conversion kit comes with a switch so you can choose when you want to use petrol or LPG. So I was thinking of using the LPG mode for normal driving (low revs) but then when I needed the power could easily switch to petrol hence saving on the fuel bill. But considering all that could go wrong with it I don’t think it’s worth the risk as I love my T Sport to much plus seeing the size of the tank that they would have to fit in your boot! No way.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links