Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Annoying Noise?

tsunami

Hi,am new to the forum have recentley bought a hilux 4x4 pickup,98,it has an extra 3 maybe 4 inch lift onit,anyhow its my 3rd toyota i love them,engines are bullet proof,just sold a 4x2 on a m reg with 170,000 miles and it still would have run for another 100,000!!

Back to the subject,this is difficult to explain but hope you can help,the truck runs fine,no jerky motion no excess bounce etc,when the running at medium speed or rolling up to lights i hear an annoying creaking/rattling from the rear,propshaft has been lubed up. The noise seem to go if i drive harder/faster,then returns at lower speeds.

Anyideas would be appreciated,as it doesnt seem a major problem( i hope not) just !Removed! ANNOYING.thanks.

Could be that it has too much grease in the sliding joint on the propshaft, take it off and clean all the grease out, then just give it a smear of new grease.

Could be that it has too much grease in the sliding joint on the propshaft, take it off and clean all the grease out, then just give it a smear of new grease.

Thanx,have managed get it jacked up ,and on spinning rear wheel the noise now seems to be coming from around the propshaft as it attaches to the diff,seems to be the annoying noise becoming an expensive one,any advice,i have access to a ramp tomorow so will be checking fluid levels etc?

:rolleyes: Hi,

look at the prop shaft sliding joint seen some really dry here It seems that some folk miss out the grease nipple on this part, you may need to remove the shaft or one end of it to work the slide up n down while you have the shaft disconnected check the u/j s for smoothness as you move them up n down and side to side because of the extra hight on your vehicle the u/js are working at more of a accute angle than the norn and maybe some needle rollers have broke up in the joints.

Hedley.

:rolleyes: Hi,

look at the prop shaft sliding joint seen some really dry here It seems that some folk miss out the grease nipple on this part, you may need to remove the shaft or one end of it to work the slide up n down while you have the shaft disconnected check the u/j s for smoothness as you move them up n down and side to side because of the extra hight on your vehicle the u/js are working at more of a accute angle than the norn and maybe some needle rollers have broke up in the joints.

Hedley.

Thanx,seems more likely to be this after a day of unsuccessfull searching,the next question,lol,is what you said do a difficult job or more a mechanics/experienced persons job? i consider myself as quick learner and can follow basic instructions :unsure: .

Thanks again for your advice. :D

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,am new to the forum have recentley bought a hilux 4x4 pickup,98,it has an extra 3 maybe 4 inch lift onit,anyhow its my 3rd toyota i love them,engines are bullet proof,just sold a 4x2 on a m reg with 170,000 miles and it still would have run for another 100,000!!

Back to the subject,this is difficult to explain but hope you can help,the truck runs fine,no jerky motion no excess bounce etc,when the running at medium speed or rolling up to lights i hear an annoying creaking/rattling from the rear,propshaft has been lubed up. The noise seem to go if i drive harder/faster,then returns at lower speeds.

Anyideas would be appreciated,as it doesnt seem a major problem( i hope not) just !Removed! ANNOYING.thanks.

hi i'm a converted user to the great 4x4 last car bmw say no more any hoo my problem is the same foot down smooth as a babies bum but free wheel squeaking and a sort of rubbing noise then its problem number 2 select drive and the big bang theory arrives i'm guessing the police have eaten my doughnut"thingy with hole in centre thats attached to prop "can you advise as my lux is rust free an import 3litre auto and low miles hence i would sell the wife than lose bullet engine

07760467519 feel free to ring..

• 3 months later...

i've got the same problem with my hilux i've greased the prop shaft and still the noise at low speed i'm thinking its now coming from the gearbox ..... have u found anymore more clues to the problem

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links