Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Not Running Right At All Please Help!

draven666

my avensis is misfiring badly and coming up with faults can anyone help

sorry for the long explaination, it is a 1999 x reg 1.8 vvti, i bought the car with a misfire as i am an old scholl mechanic hoping to fix it, did a compression test and found no2 cylinder down. so took the head off and found a burnt out valve, replaced valve and rebuilt. car started up fine and ticked over for a hour okay then started having problems, misfiring and smoking alot. plugged in code reader and misfire problems were coming up on all 4 cylinders, fuel was to lean and vvti fault.

now the car just keeps getting worse its impossible to drive, tried the simple things plugs, fuel cleaner etc, nothing worked, also the plugs seem to get black very quickly. dropped off the down pipe to look at the manifold cats and on had all broken up, so replaced this with a manifold from the scrap yard now the car seems to be worse! i have heard something about the ecus needing programming is this correct?

also occansionaly the ecu picks up bank 1 sensor 1 oxy sensor fault, this was before nd after the new manifold was put on.

just to clarify everthing else there are no air leaks or such on the engine and it was put back together fine all timed up and everthing and the compression is up at 200 psi on all 4 cylinders.

really hope someone on here can help out

many thanks

:rolleyes: Hi,

Hard to tell without hearing it,the 02 and a/f sensor codes are probberly there because of the rough running as you can normally disconnect these and the engine would still run fairly well,check the earth if possible on the injectors maybe use a diode test light the signal should pulse and not be lit constantly at idle what Im getting at here is make sure the injector wiring is not shorting out to ground and fueling the injectors,you need to work with the codes here the one on the vvti sounds interesting as this could cause you all sorts of problems even if everything is timed up right if your valves are not where they are ment to be because of the vvti then you have no way of knowing your valve position,why did it need a valve changing ? did it touch the piston?this could be a clue.hope this makes sense.

Hedley.

Hard to tell without hearing it,the 02 and a/f sensor codes are probberly there because of the rough running as you can normally disconnect these and the engine would still run fairly well,check the earth if possible on the injectors maybe use a diode test light the signal should pulse and not be lit constantly at idle what Im getting at here is make sure the injector wiring is not shorting out to ground and fueling the injectors,you need to work with the codes here the one on the vvti sounds interesting as this could cause you all sorts of problems even if everything is timed up right if your valves are not where they are ment to be because of the vvti then you have no way of knowing your valve position,why did it need a valve changing ? did it touch the piston?this could be a clue.hope this makes sense.

Hedley.

needed a valve as it was burnt out as in running to rich which i put down to a blocked cat, so do i need a download

Hedley.

needed a valve as it was burnt out as in running to rich which i put down to a blocked cat, so do i need a download

so does no one have any ideas?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links