Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tracking Problems!

cc.gibson

Jude, I'd not be happy with that at all mate!!!! How much fuss did you kick up when it happened? - Worryingly you're in my sort of area - which garage did you use?

I'll wait till Saturday before making any comments about the particular dealership my Rav's going into for the 'repair' to the steering, but if they try to charge me a penny to fix something they've done whilst changing the clutch they've got another thing coming!!

Be sure to drop the hint that "the steering column has to come off before the engine and box comes down doesn't it?" just to make them aware that you know it does and therefor are going to present a fight if they charge you for it.

Good luck

I certainly will do! I fully intend to sow the seeds of blame before they even have the keys off me! Thanks for the advice all, i will let you know the outcome as soon as possible! :o

Its also not anything to panic about but would need to be sorted by the dealership if they notice it happening.

As Mart says, I don't think we all need to drive off to our local dealer and demand that our gearboxes get checked... Am I right to think that there would be a small oil leak from underneath the car to indicate the problem? :unsure:

I've got my 20k on Monday, so I'll interrogate (sorry ask :lol: ) to see how many my local dealer has done.

The oil doesnt always leak badly enough for it to reach the ground. It usually just collects on the bottom of the gearbox/around the sump area.

If any does drip from the gearbox it ends up on the undershield anyway :)

Mart.

Well Mart I think the cat is well and truly amongst the pigeons (including bothy's pigeon). I'm not about to panic over this issue but I just like to know what the possible implications of owning one of these things are. A couple more questions. Having read through the gearbox removal instructions it all goes OK until the bit where it very calmly says remove the engine and gearbox assembly (which does indeed require the steering column to be match marked and removed). I have done many clutches and gearboxes and never resorted to taking the complete assembly out so tell me - do you think it really needs the engine out or is that the Toyota way of reducing the risk of anything else getting damaged?

Secondly, without putting yourself in a compromising position, is there anything else that is popping up with these 4.3s?

Cheers

Well, i have never looked at the g'box removal guide/instructions. I just removed what was needed and out the box comes.

You dont need to drop the engine at all to do the 'box (just support it with a tall axle stand )

The steering column also doesnt need removing either.

For a 'box removal quick guide -

remove with rav on floor -plastic engine bay covers, air filter box, Battery and tray, fuel filter bracket, cables, any other clips/connectors plugs, then remove all bolts to top of box/engine, undo gearbox mount nut and leave off.

then rav in air - both front wheels off, drain fluids, undershield, subframe/cross member (rack stays attached but i hold it up using zip ties so the rubber boot doesnt come off which is a pain to get back in), exhaust off, both front drive shafts, prop shaft etc.

put big axle stand under engine/sump and take the weight on it - reach up and remove the gearbox mount bolt (removed the nut from above before)

lower the stand or raise the ramp so you can get at the gearbox mount and remove it.

remove rest of bolts holding 'box to engine and lower stand or raise ramp so the 'box is at a good angle/place to remove.

get 2 or 3 other guys (very heavy box to lift out) to hold the box as you undo the last bolt and then pull box out (takes some wiggling and a bar to seperate as the transfer box stays on 'box)

refit is opposite of removal :P

That was a very quick list of what needs doing so i have prob missed out a few things.

As i said you dont need to drop the engine at all (this would put more time onto the job)

You would however need to remove the engine/box as one unit if you were doing a timing cover ;) ;) or headgasket leaking at rear of engine ;) ;)

Hope this helps. :)

Cheers mart.

Did you find out if it is a modified seal?

Regards

Jude, I'd not be happy with that at all mate!!!! How much fuss did you kick up when it happened? - Worryingly you're in my sort of area - which garage did you use?

I'll wait till Saturday before making any comments about the particular dealership my Rav's going into for the 'repair' to the steering, but if they try to charge me a penny to fix something they've done whilst changing the clutch they've got another thing coming!!

Be sure to drop the hint that "the steering column has to come off before the engine and box comes down doesn't it?" just to make them aware that you know it does and therefor are going to present a fight if they charge you for it.

Good luck

Woah woah, the column doesnt have to be removed, nor does the rack.

The subframe is removed though and the rack is bolted to this with 2 bolts.

I suspect when the subframe has gone back on and the rack bolted up again, the rack hasnt quite been in the same place it was before the job.

The holes in the subframe are bigger than the bolts that go through them therefore unless its marked and put back exact there will be some steering alignment issues.

I have marked plenty when doing the job and put it back in the same places (or so i thought) but when it came to roadtesting after the wheel has been slightly out (prob due to the fact the subframe wasnt quite perfectly aligned or the rack.

Just mention to the garage they must have had to drop the subframe to do the clutch therefore did they check the steering alignment after the job?

Mart. :)

Cheers mart.

Did you find out if it is a modified seal?

Regards

Oh no, sorry. Will try and remember tomorrow.

Everytime i get to work they keep giving me jobs to do and i forget :lol:

Mart.

Mart

The manual says that the engine and box does have to come out. I accept that it doesn't (I would have been surprised if it did) but some dealers may be doing it. It also says that to remove the engine the column/intermediate shaft must be match marked and separated.

If somebody went by the book maybe the steering was detached???

Mart

The manual says that the engine and box does have to come out. I accept that it doesn't (I would have been surprised if it did) but some dealers may be doing it. It also says that to remove the engine the column/intermediate shaft must be match marked and separated.

If somebody went by the book maybe the steering was detached???

Yes, i suppose so. Strange it gives instruction to do this (engine out) as the time given for the job isnt enough to do that really.

Mart.

Can't fault garage (RRG Rochdale). After initial panic that it hadn't been booked in (something to do with it being on a private plate (happens everywhere!)) it took a couple of hours to sort out the steering!

As it wasn't the tracking and was due to a slight mis-alignment when they'd replaced the clutch a few weeks ago they did the re-allignment under warranty - so back to enjoying it again - might clean it this afternoon as it's nice and sunny up here in the north! :D

Can't fault garage (RRG Rochdale). After initial panic that it hadn't been booked in (something to do with it being on a private plate (happens everywhere!)) it took a couple of hours to sort out the steering!

As it wasn't the tracking and was due to a slight mis-alignment when they'd replaced the clutch a few weeks ago they did the re-allignment under warranty - so back to enjoying it again - might clean it this afternoon as it's nice and sunny up here in the north! :D

As i suspected :)

Good to hear its all sorted B)

Mart.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links