Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Poor Radio & Tmc Reception

bitman

hi,

any one who improved this poor radio and tm-tmc reception with the rav 4 4.2 model?

had a look at the antenna and it isn't the best around, so i'm looking to improve it. the new 4.3 has the antenna more upwards while the 4.2 is almost horizontal.

i checked if the antenna amp was connected and gets power and it is. it's on pin 8 of the 10 pins connector.

any ideas?

no replies, so every body on this forum has brilliant radio reception? :huh:

well, I have a 4.2 and the radio reception is nothing to write home about, but I do live in a very hill & valley area so can't be sure if it car and/or environment :g:

I'm afraid I'm no good for a 4.3 comparison because I only ever listen to the Cd or Ipod.

Cheers

thanks B)

now i know it's not the ariel it self, what i exchanged to see if it improved but got the same result as with the 'old' one

will install another antenna. i don't really listen to radio but i do use tm-tmc with my navi.

bt

the TMC uses a splitter from the ariel signal to go to the TMC unit and the Radio unit - is that right? I would double check the connections are made well - not just pushed in fully, but the actual cable is fitted to the connector well - that is a common cause of poor signal transmission and be a worthwhile check before anything more extreme

thx,

but nope, i have a kenwood gtm-10 what is connected in-line (between) of the kenwood radio head and the antenna. and as the radio reception is also poor so it is for the tcm traffic what is even using a lower signal. i have double checked all connections as the build in ant amp no errors being found.

ah, I assumed you were using the toyota nav setup, which I think uses this splitter (going by memory as I bought the kit on eBay and then decided not to fit and sold back on eBay). Off-toipic, but would be interested to see your install inthe dash - been thinking of swapping the OEM radio out

@hoovie,

in the rav 4 pictures i posted some time ago my radio haed.

anyway i ordered an HIRSCHMANN AM FM ROOF AERIAL 16v AUTA B-STING STYLE. will post the results when i installed it later on.

update,

installed the new aerial today. this was a lot of work since i also used the new (much better) coax cable and yeah then you have to guide it from the back to the radio head in the front of the car, nice job :huh:

anyway i could use the power line after cutting the connector of the toyota aerial power line. i soldered it on the hirschmann aerial.

i couldn't test it since i flat the Battery! :angry: when removing the radio head i must have turned on the rear window defroster... also the airco was on... i know i should remove the ignition key!

will report the receiving later when i jump start it with my other halve rav 4 Battery when back from work.

perfect radio reception with this new antenna! :) can now receive radio stations i never could before! B)

conclusion, the stock antenna is just a wast of roof space!

Was it much hassle to install? I do get fed up a little with my reception but blamed the hills - seems like I don't need to put up with it :thumbsup:

well the installation was a bit of work since i also used a new coax cable what i routed under the sealing passenger site. i used a metal wire from the front to the back and then connected the coax to that metal wire and pulled it back. the power connector from the hirschmann didn't fit to the existing cable so i cut the connector from the toyota antenna and soldered it back on the hirschmann antenna, easy job. the hole in the roof was ok to fit the new antenna. but bear in mind i'm talking about the 4.2 2001 model!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links