Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dmf Problems?

mr wayne

Hi Guys,

First post! This forum is fantastic and there's some great help in here, so thanks a lot for that!

My profile might say i've got a Corolla - I haven't, but it won't let me change it!

I've actually got a Supra - right number of doors, and not an oil-burner - might even give Bothy a run for his money in that - although not across a field!

The wife has got a 2004 XT3 D4D, about 43000 miles, bought second-hand a few months ago (from a Honda garage!!!) to replace her Corolla that was stolen (off the drive!!!).

Anyway, when she went out yesterday, she put it in reverse, and when she lifted the clutch, she said she felt a vibration through the clutch, and there was a knocking sound - this happened all the while when she was reversing. She then put it into first, and again, when lifting the clutch, the same thing. As her speed increased, the vibration and knocking stopped, and it hasn't done it again since in any gear.

Reading Anchorman's excellent post about DMF problems, this sounds like similar symptoms - but then not sure if it could have been anything else as it only happened briefly and hasn't happened again.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Wayne

A quick note about this guys!

Just been to talk to my local Toyota dealer. They confirmed that Toyota have extended the warranty for the DMF to 5 years/100,000 miles.

The problem is - to diagnose if the DMF is broke, they have to take it all to bits - they told me it could be 6-7 hours work, at a huge cost - if the problem turns out to be the DMF, then it's free, but if it doesn't, then you have to pay!

So, do you feel lucky punk!?

The guy said that if the DMF has gone, then it usually makes the noise/has the vibration all the time, so he wouldn't like to say if our problem is the DMF or not!

Hi Guys,

First post! This forum is fantastic and there's some great help in here, so thanks a lot for that!

My profile might say i've got a Corolla - I haven't, but it won't let me change it!

I've actually got a Supra - right number of doors, and not an oil-burner - might even give Bothy a run for his money in that - although not across a field! ALWAYS GAME FOR A LAUGH..

The wife has got a 2004 XT3 D4D, about 43000 miles, bought second-hand a few months ago (from a Honda garage!!!) to replace her Corolla that was stolen (off the drive!!!).

Anyway, when she went out yesterday, she put it in reverse, and when she lifted the clutch,(GOSH SHE MMUST BE REAL STRONG - WAS THE CLUTCH ATTACHED TO THE GEARBOX AT THE TIME? she said she felt a vibration through the clutch THAT COMES EXTRA I BELIEVE, and there was a knocking soundSURE IT WASN'T THE NEEBUR UNDERNEATH? - this happened all the while when she was reversing. She then put it into first, and again, when lifting the clutch, the same thing. As her speed increased, the vibration and knocking stopped, and it hasn't done it again since in any gear. RIGHT - THAT PROVES IT WAS THE NEEBUR. WHAT HE/SHE WAS DOING GARDENING IN THEIR DRIVEWAY IS ANYBODYS GUESS!

Reading Anchorman's excellent post about DMF problems, this sounds like similar symptoms - but then not sure if it could have been anything else as it only happened briefly and hasn't happened again.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Wayne

Hi Wayne, welcome to the maddest place on the whole of TOC! :lol::lol:

Sorry to hear you're having problems with your Rav, have you checked to see if your car has the modified DMF in it?

You can do so by checking you VIN against these:

JT EYG20V400009863

JT EHG20V600026183

JT EHG20V606013132

If your car is later than any of the above, you'll have the modified one (which shouldn't fail!)

Just out of interest, was the car being reversed uphill at the time? Both the 4.2 and 4.3 diesel versions hate being reversed up an incline!

I'm sure one of the more knowledgeable members will be along soon... :D

P.S Excuse Bothy, he doesn't take kindly to people having a faster 3 door than him! :P

A quick note about this guys!

Just been to talk to my local Toyota dealer. They confirmed that Toyota have extended the warranty for the DMF to 5 years/100,000 miles.

The problem is - to diagnose if the DMF is broke, they have to take it all to bits - they told me it could be 6-7 hours work, at a huge cost - if the problem turns out to be the DMF, then it's free, but if it doesn't, then you have to pay!

So, do you feel lucky punk!?

The guy said that if the DMF has gone, then it usually makes the noise/has the vibration all the time, so he wouldn't like to say if our problem is the DMF or not!

If the DMF has gone, I'd report the theft to the Police.

OR, you have less than a year and 60,000 miles to prove its the DMF. Why not replicate the actions and see what happens. It may be that its starting to go/part broken.

Or bring it to Warrington on Saturday and we'll all have a diagnosis test!! You could always bring the Supra just in case :P

The RAV hasn't done much mileage for me to think of anything else that could be worn - bearings etc would be noisy all the time.

NEEBUR !? I'm guessing he means NEIGHBOUR! Can't find it in any of the online Scottish-to-English translators I can find!

The RAV was on a slight incline for the reverse, although not when she shifted into first. The VIN is a higher number than all the ones listed, so I guess it should have the modified DNF in, although i've seen posts from other 04 owners who have had problems, so it looks like it's not necessarily just these VINs - and also as Toyota have extended the warranty it suggests they're aware of the problem.

I think i'm gonna leave it to see if it happens again/gets worse - like Bothy said, i've got a while yet for it to fail and get get it repaired for free. As it's just happened the once, i'm reluctant to have it all stripped down to find out it was nothing, and be presented with a large bill!

Thanks for the replies guys!

NEEBUR !? I'm guessing he means NEIGHBOUR! Can't find it in any of the online Scottish-to-English translators I can find!

The RAV was on a slight incline for the reverse, although not when she shifted into first. The VIN is a higher number than all the ones listed, so I guess it should have the modified DNF in, although i've seen posts from other 04 owners who have had problems, so it looks like it's not necessarily just these VINs - and also as Toyota have extended the warranty it suggests they're aware of the problem.

I think i'm gonna leave it to see if it happens again/gets worse - like Bothy said, i've got a while yet for it to fail and get get it repaired for free. As it's just happened the once, i'm reluctant to have it all stripped down to find out it was nothing, and be presented with a large bill!

Thanks for the replies guys!

Just monitor it for a while. If she slipped the clutch and got it hot it could very well judder and that will cause all the exhaust and everything else to hammer under the car. It would sort itself out when it cooled down. Just be alert for for a few days intil you are confident there is nothing amiss.

Interesting that they say the warranty still exists. That is not in line with the info we had from TGB.

Mr Wayne, I have a 53 plate and the DMF went just a few weeks ago. I was getting occasional vibrations and sometimes a difficulty getting into reverse. One day coming off a motorway slip road I lost all drive after hearing a clunk. The clutch still operated and it went into gear but just wouldn't drive or move with a strange vibration coming from the front. It was an AA job to tow me home.

Toyota garage told me that as I had the modified version of DMF the manufacturer would only cover the parts which apparently amount to £1500 and I would have to pay the labour which was £498.80 inclusive of VAT.

They did say Toyota judge each case on its own merits and I wonder if my full service history not being with Toyota made them make me pay the labour.

On the plus side - the RAV drives like a new car after getting the repair job with less noise and vibration, better gear selection and smoother clutch. And they done a fabulous valet inside and out.

Hi Wayne, welcome to the maddest place on the whole of TOC! :lol::lol:

Sorry to hear you're having problems with your Rav, have you checked to see if your car has the modified DMF in it?

You can do so by checking you VIN against these:

JT EYG20V400009863

JT EHG20V600026183

JT EHG20V606013132

If your car is later than any of the above, you'll have the modified one (which shouldn't fail!)

Just out of interest, was the car being reversed uphill at the time? Both the 4.2 and 4.3 diesel versions hate being reversed up an incline!

I'm sure one of the more knowledgeable members will be along soon... :D

P.S Excuse Bothy, he doesn't take kindly to people having a faster 3 door than him! :P

how do you decipher the VIN No information to see if i have a later moel or not?

how do you decipher the VIN No information to see if i have a later moel or not?

Check your RAV's VIN to see if it is in-between the numbers shown....

You may need to see the Doctor ref the Moel???? :unsure: :unsure:

Mr Wayne, I have a 53 plate and the DMF went just a few weeks ago. I was getting occasional vibrations and sometimes a difficulty getting into reverse. One day coming off a motorway slip road I lost all drive after hearing a clunk. The clutch still operated and it went into gear but just wouldn't drive or move with a strange vibration coming from the front. It was an AA job to tow me home.

Toyota garage told me that as I had the modified version of DMF the manufacturer would only cover the parts which apparently amount to £1500 and I would have to pay the labour which was £498.80 inclusive of VAT.

They did say Toyota judge each case on its own merits and I wonder if my full service history not being with Toyota made them make me pay the labour.

On the plus side - the RAV drives like a new car after getting the repair job with less noise and vibration, better gear selection and smoother clutch. And they done a fabulous valet inside and out.

Well at least you got the majority of it paid for, which is at least something!

I guess whatever they told me when i enquired might not be the case when it actually comes down to having the work done - i didn't give them the VIN, but i did give them the registration, and so they knew it was an '04 model. It also doesn't have a full Toyota service history.

Wife says the problem hasn't happened again yet. We're off to the Lake District for a week next week - what's the betting that it'll go then!!?

When we bought the car from a Honda garage a few month's back, we got a years warranty with it - I wonder where they'd stand on this being a wear & tear matter - of course, their warranty don't cover that!

Lomond Lad,

Can you give me any further information about your problem, like ...

1. How long had you been having the vibrations before the DMF failed altogether?

2. How often were the vibrations happening - all the time, or just periodically?

3. Were the vibrations happening in any particular gear, or any particular speeds etc?

4. Did the vibrations seem to get more frequent leading up to the DMF failure?

Thanks

Wayne

Lomond Lad,

1. How long had you been having the vibrations before the DMF failed altogether?

2. How often were the vibrations happening - all the time, or just periodically?

3. Were the vibrations happening in any particular gear, or any particular speeds etc?

4. Did the vibrations seem to get more frequent leading up to the DMF failure?

Thanks

Wayne

Pardon to pip in but having had this happen to mine...and out of warranty period as well just by 2 months (over 5 years and 60K) this is my flywheel in CLICK HERE Anchormans original posting regarding the DMF.

What I can say is mine started to play up a while before...mainly in 1st and 2nd gear. sounded like a metallic rattle, like a loose exhaust...

Got progressively louder as time went by.... Pulling away on slight inclines needed more revs and could feel the clutch starting to slip....

Eventually it gave up with a bang (although I never heard this) and then no gear selection would go in...needed brute force just to get into 1st....Luckily I was near a supermarket carpark where I could leave the RAV..........Got it recovered home then the fun began....just before Xmas as well :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

Once done RAV has a new lease of life and gear changes are slick and precise...even first thing in the morning (used to hate going into gear until warm)

Any way...the job is a big task and most of the bottom half of the engine and suspension needs removing to get to the DMF...and as said before it's a heavy part... more shots of mine and the hole in it caused by the lugs working loose.....

DSCF0144.jpg

DSCF0140.jpg

DSCF0121.jpg

DSCF0120.jpg

So if Toyota have upped the Warranty to 5 years or 100k I'll be interested to see :angry: :angry:

Lomond Lad,

1. How long had you been having the vibrations before the DMF failed altogether? I was getting occasional vibrations sitting on idle and in low gear selection just starting to move away. I also got it reversing out my drive which is a slight uphill reverse. Also at between 45/50 mph in 5th gear. All of that has stopped since getting the DMF fixed. I was getting these signs for a few months before and getting progressivly worse. It was still a surprise when it went though! I'd asked the local mechanic to have a look but it was intermittant and he could never find it.

2. How often were the vibrations happening - all the time, or just periodically? See above.

3. Were the vibrations happening in any particular gear, or any particular speeds etc? Again see above.

4. Did the vibrations seem to get more frequent leading up to the DMF failure? Yes. But nothing to worry me. It was just a niggle which appeared sometimes but did become slightly more frequent. I never thought it would go pop just like it did. The local mechanic did feel that on idle it was just a tad noisy and warned it may be the DMF on the way out. He was dead right!

Thanks

Wayne

And the bad news for me was that when it was in the garage they noticed the water pump was leaking and left a report on it. I called them today for a price and to supply and fit the water pump is £480 and to re-new the timing belt (which he recommended while it was stripped down) was another £40. :censor:

CHATMAN - I was told it was 5 years and 60,000 miles but the manufacturer would look at each case on its own merits. It took them over a week to get back to the Toyota garage and authorise the parts replacement only with the customer (me) picking up the labour bill. Seems a bit crazy! If its a manufacturing fault why parts only and not the labour? By supplying the parts free surely they're admitting a fault.

Do they get this with diesel trains, or just diesel cars??? :shutit: :shutit:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links