Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T Sport Engine Lost The L In Vvtli - Any Ideas

AL T Sport Celica

Hey folks,

Have a 2002 (pre facelift 51 reg) model... loved it so much decided to take it to NZ when moved...

Lost the lift - no kick and falls off (just sounds raw and wheezy?) at 7000rpm. Toyota have spent 2 weeks messing around (albeit they need to get an electrician in to translate as the UK ECU does extra stuff and speaks a different language)... they've gone through their 'matrix' and now describe it as 'random' problem solving ...

But ECU OK, computer says impulse is going through - and far as they say it is lifting 'but not as aggressively'... and the only thing they could figure by measurements against another VVTLi Celica was that not as much air was getting into the engine...

They ripped off top of engine and made out visually one of the cams was slightly worn (and figure if they pull it apart may be worn more under, including rocker arm)... but their guess is also likely to be exhaust side...

So they're saying new cam (with rockers) ... to be imported from Japan, and new exhaust part...

Anybody had this prob... clinically addicted to the VVTLi kick, and it ain't there at the moment.

The Toyota mechanic was actually at the stage of advising me to sell it to some unsuspecting muppet, and get a lower mileage local 190 (mainly used Jap imports)...

All random thoughts welcomed....

AL

Welcome.

Lots of people have had similar. Usually on the pre-facelifts like yours it's just the lift bolts which is a dead easy job, and they cost buttons.

But surely that would be the first thing that Mr T would have checked.

Mine failed way back and it was a sensor problem and was a huge job with (I was told) pictures being sent back to Japan for analysis and diagnosis etc; fortunately this was in about 2003 when the car was still under warranty. I can't tell you any more about the details of the problem I'm afraid.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

T

maybe the oil temp aint reaching its set point but surely toyota would have checked this.

• 3 months later...

Well update... half a new engine later (well new cam and two cheap bolts later etc) and appears to be back in one piece.... and the addictive kick is back, and I don't know if it's just me, but not quite as sweet as before, but better than running out of puff at 6500 rpm... :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links