Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Detail?

geomowat

My 4.1 is apparently 'Sunset' Red (certainly not one I have ever seen, but then, the memory is failing and if it ever stopped raining in Scotland . . .) and would seem to have the code 3E6, which also seems to be described as 'Bright Red'. Is this the correct code and are the two colours the same with different names? I noticed that 3E5 is called 'Lucifer Red' and wondered if this was the colour of Bothy's RAV (fun postings about Warrington!).

The codes, by the way, come from

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Stepho/colour.htm

My other colour question is when new, what colour were all the plastic bits on the exterior of my RAV? The grill remains black, but bumpers etc. are now all dark grey. I noticed in the auto-spares place the other day that it sells goo to return bumpers to black, but were they ever so when this sunset red left the land of the rising sun?

George

Autoglym bumper care will do wonders on Grey bumpers.

Thanks for this, but what colour should it be — grey or black? Perhaps you have suggested the Autoglym goup as it will leave them the correct colour?

George

the bumper care stuff puts it to a dark grey colour - not black but very tidy indeed.

it's just a wipe on/wipe off thing too, so it's not like you have to be a master sprayman or anything.

My 4.1 is apparently 'Sunset' Red (certainly not one I have ever seen, but then, the memory is failing and if it ever stopped raining in Scotland . . .) and would seem to have the code 3E6, which also seems to be described as 'Bright Red'. Is this the correct code and are the two colours the same with different names? I noticed that 3E5 is called 'Lucifer Red' and wondered if this was the colour of Bothy's RAV (fun postings about Warrington!).

The codes, by the way, come from

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Stepho/colour.htm

My other colour question is when new, what colour were all the plastic bits on the exterior of my RAV? The grill remains black, but bumpers etc. are now all dark grey. I noticed in the auto-spares place the other day that it sells goo to return bumpers to black, but were they ever so when this sunset red left the land of the rising sun?

George

Colours - my 2 RAVs are both the same shade of silver. Anchormans RAV is blood red but a nice colour.

I did post up a reply to say that you could see the difference where I'd used Autoglym on a small part of the wheel arch extension - the difference is outstanding.

As far as I know, the original colour was dark grey for the exterior plastic/bumpers etc - unless you have a special edition.

The grill is meant to be black.

As far as I know, the original colour was dark grey for the exterior plastic/bumpers etc - unless you have a special edition.

Thanks for this, I presumed the bumpers were grey, but a combination of the colour of the grill and a fellow in the autospares shop insisting that the bumpers should match the other black details (and, of course, they only had plastic reviver in black!) had me wondering.

I looked at your link to the charity and might e-mail you off-list about this.

Thanks,

George

Thanks for this, I presumed the bumpers were grey, but a combination of the colour of the grill and a fellow in the autospares shop insisting that the bumpers should match the other black details (and, of course, they only had plastic reviver in black!) had me wondering.

Thanks,

George

George - ye'll get me oan ian@active4all.info probably.

Honestly - I've tried various trade polishes, but the autogluym on the plastic bit turned out better than I expected - to the point I was embarrassed at everyone elses motors shining - weel really ah wisnae cos ah dinna polish the beast at all. It had a coat o polish last weekend and I tried the same stuff oan the plastic an it wis rubbish. So ah boucht a bottle o the autoglym vinyl/rubber cleaner and it made a good difference,.

The paintwork needs t-cut but I fear the lacquer coat (if that what it has) has seen its day and the motor will need a respray.

Funny one - I have a large compressor which is 60 years old - boucht aff eBay fur a bad song. Works great but. So I used a air polisher oan ma Renault Trafic wi the polish - jeeez - the macjhine aw but rubbed aff the white paintwork so noo theres rust oan all the seams waur the polisher did its worst.

Thanks,

George

Honestly - I've tried various trade polishes, but the autogluym on the plastic bit turned out better than I expected - to the point I was embarrassed at everyone elses motors shining - weel really ah wisnae cos ah dinna polish the beast at all. It had a coat o polish last weekend and I tried the same stuff oan the plastic an it wis rubbish. So ah boucht a bottle o the autoglym vinyl/rubber cleaner and it made a good difference,.

The paintwork needs t-cut but I fear the lacquer coat (if that what it has) has seen its day and the motor will need a respray.

Funny one - I have a large compressor which is 60 years old - boucht aff eBay fur a bad song. Works great but. So I used a air polisher oan ma Renault Trafic wi the polish - jeeez - the macjhine aw but rubbed aff the white paintwork so noo theres rust oan all the seams waur the polisher did its worst.

dont know if this helps, but here is a photo of my 4.1 when nearly new 12 years ago..

img013.jpg

Thanks,

George

dont know if this helps, but here is a photo of my 4.1 when nearly new 12 years ago..

img013.jpg

stunning!

Richt - thats it.

The drums get cleaned an painted oan number wan!!

Very nice Motor, LH :thumbsup:

Ok - here is a question that I have wondered about for years ...

the RAV4 4.1 3 Door - there is a hard top and a soft top, yes? Is the hard top removable without major surgury? Is it possible at all? Can you get a 3 Door RAV Hard Top and convert it to a Soft Top? Vice Versa?

Yes, many thanks. You seem to have quite a few added extras — as the black cover-sills are about the only part that has suffered from corrosion, I wish mine had those chrome/stainless ones: are they still available?

George

Very nice Motor, LH :thumbsup:

Ok - here is a question that I have wondered about for years ...

the RAV4 4.1 3 Door - there is a hard top and a soft top, yes? Is the hard top removable without major surgury? Is it possible at all? Can you get a 3 Door RAV Hard Top and convert it to a Soft Top? Vice Versa?

In the UK, the 4.1 was available with 2 roof panels, both of which could be removed and stored in the brackets on the rear door.

The car never in my knowledge came out in the UK as a soft top.

Yes, many thanks. You seem to have quite a few added extras — as the black cover-sills are about the only part that has suffered from corrosion, I wish mine had those chrome/stainless ones: are they still available?

George

My black sills dropped off a couple of years ago due to corrosion. The rear black step was about to drop off and so I removed it and used what was left as a template - and asked a local catering equipment manufacturer to make up a new one in stainless steel. This they did for £20!!! And within 30 minutes!! I suspect to them, the amount of metal is almost off-cut size. I had to grind the ends to shape and had it fitted for the warrington outing. Everyone who has seen it commented on how good the car looked compared to before.

My efforts to source one in the UK was fruitless- these things became obsolete years ago. You might get sidesteps in USA, or if you still have the originals, ask a fabricator to make new ones. They will need a folding machine and the ability to possibly roll the metal. My backstep just has a fold in it which has the desired aeffect.

Dave.m gave me a couple of local companies to make up a new bullbar as the original black one which went round the sidelights is long obsolete. Will probably get that done in stainless too.

My black sills dropped off a couple of years ago due to corrosion.

The previous owner replaced one of mine — driver's side (now going the same way) — whilst the other (unavailable, even then) is about to fall off in the next year or two.

used what was left as a template - and asked a local catering equipment manufacturer to make up a new one in stainless steel.

My local (down south) catering supplier who offered a similar service has gone bust, alas

I suspect to them, the amount of metal is almost off-cut size. I had to grind the ends to shape and had it fitted for the warrington outing. Everyone who has seen it commented on how good the car looked compared to before.

My efforts to source one in the UK was fruitless-

Ditto, the fruitless search. I was wondering if there was any chance of commissioning you to arrange for your firm to make up a similar pair of over-sills?

if you still have the originals, ask a fabricator to make new ones. They will need a folding machine and the ability to possibly roll the metal.

No one with these skills in Orkney ( a retired panel-maker, ex R-R Appleyards of Leeds died recently and he was the only one with the kit, which has gone down to your part of the land) and when I am south, all these types of people have given way to IT consultancy firms who can afford the rent and rates!

George

The previous owner replaced one of mine — driver's side (now going the same way) — whilst the other (unavailable, even then) is about to fall off in the next year or two.

used what was left as a template - and asked a local catering equipment manufacturer to make up a new one in stainless steel.

My local (down south) catering supplier who offered a similar service has gone bust, alas

I suspect to them, the amount of metal is almost off-cut size. I had to grind the ends to shape and had it fitted for the warrington outing. Everyone who has seen it commented on how good the car looked compared to before.

Ditto, the fruitless search. I was wondering if there was any chance of commissioning you to arrange for your firm to make up a similar pair of over-sills?

if you still have the originals, ask a fabricator to make new ones. They will need a folding machine and the ability to possibly roll the metal.

No one with these skills in Orkney ( a retired panel-maker, ex R-R Appleyards of Leeds died recently and he was the only one with the kit, which has gone down to your part of the land) and when I am south, all these types of people have given way to IT consultancy firms who can afford the rent and rates!

George

OK

1. I will get the sills made up but you will need to send me 1 if not both as templates / drop em off / or draw out the outline of the sill and its approx length. Mine fell to small bits.

2. The rear step - I kept the rotten one as I might use it for the 2nd RAV so if you want a rear step, thats ok.

At least I can try the sills for fit here before posting them!

George

OK

1. I will get the sills made up but you will need to send me 1 if not both as templates / drop em off / or draw out the outline of the sill and its approx length. Mine fell to small bits.

2. The rear step - I kept the rotten one as I might use it for the 2nd RAV so if you want a rear step, thats ok.

At least I can try the sills for fit here before posting them!

A bit later with addition of rear wheel cover and front A bar..img010.jpg

img011.jpg

img012.jpg

Now Stewart - yer jist showing aff. How wis it that the seagull wi gutrot missed yer car an hit Bryans? Are ye an angel???

Now Stewart - yer jist showing aff. How wis it that the seagull wi gutrot missed yer car an hit Bryans? Are ye an angel???
Yes your right Bothy, suppose i am showing off, I really loved that car first new one i ever had, and added all the extras over the 5 years ihad it, and other than those you see in the photo's, it had headlamp protectors ,Mr T waterproof seat covers, upgraded stereo,and Speakers.oem mats,and luggage

nets, all would have fitted your rav, and when i part exed it, i got book price and was told extras,don't add anything to the price, they just make it easier to sell. I should have taken everything off, and give the lot away to somebothy deserving of them :thumbsup:

Telt ye. Rav 4.1s are fur life.

Fur whit itys wurth, ma daughter number 2 (name forgotten) is gettin married next Friday an the cars o choice are black hackneys. Any tips oan whit tae talk aboot tae the driver - eg is yer gearbox daein ok the noo??

I might explain that she chose a black and white theme. Ahm daein the cookin so ah've jist been telt (her pals hae backed doon) so its white mashed potato wi a blackened chicken oan a bed o black pudding. Jist got the black linen table covers delivered the day, but the UK supplier has failed oan the black napkins so I believe these are coming frae Chine - an fawk wunner why the UK linen industry is in bits.

Ah hae ma kilt in a Black Spirit style tartan wot I was gaein tae wear tae warrington but seein as the wedding wis so soon, then it wis tae risky tae scrape aff the slops affaf ma waistcoat/jaickit. An fur the interest o ma female followers and my boyfriends, ah need tae wear a support due to ma afflictions.

BY THE WAY, frae Warrington an anchormans efforts an yer donations, £100 was deposited intae the Active4All coffers. This multiplies up to £125 as I ken where ye all stay as ah took yer number plates. Dya ken that charities are allowed tae keep a database if its used fur that charities use.

Giftaid oan donations has jist worked oot at fourteen grand fur wur charity !!! Aw ye have tae dae is gie us yer name, address an say ye are happy tae gie giftaid and we do the rest. Course all details are kept secretly and nae info is divulged tae onywan else. Ither than the taxman who seem tae have a habit o losing them frae laptops kept in cars???!!! Whits that all aboot?

[Fur whit itys wurth, ma daughter number 2 (name forgotten) is gettin married next Friday an the cars o choice are black hackneys. Any tips oan whit tae talk aboot tae the driver - eg is yer gearbox daein ok the noo??]

Just ask them how the fuel prices have affected their earnings. and you won,t have to say another word for about 11/2hrs..Now funny enough cabs are brill for wedding cars as theres plenty of room in the back for brides dresses, my previous cab, was covered in tartan, sponsored by highland springwater and i did a wedding for a young scots girl, and had a piper walking in front of us when she arrived at the wedding venue (a hotel) in preston..

Fur whit itys wurth, ma daughter number 2 (name forgotten) is gettin married next Friday an the cars o choice are black hackneys. Any tips oan whit tae talk aboot tae the driver - eg is yer gearbox daein ok the noo??

I might explain that she chose a black and white theme.....

Bothy,

This is the Scotsmans in you for sure!!!

So are you working on the idea that the B&W Wedding Licence is cheaper then the Full Colour Wedding Licence :lol:

I might explain that she chose a black and white theme.....

Bothy,

This is the Scotsmans in you for sure!!!

So are you working on the idea that the B&W Wedding Licence is cheaper then the Full Colour Wedding Licence :lol:

Ssshhhh

it's a government loophole!

If ah'd kent that oor local hero had a black hackney, ah cuid hae roped it oan the bak on the way back up last weekend! As it happens, she knows a guy who runs a black hackney in Glasgow (there's nane oot oor way). Cannae see masel haein tae get in it - whit aboot ma reputation?

believe me, theres no such thing as a cheap wedding licence, dearest bit of paper i ever bought,....

Why are hurricanes named after women? cos they both take half the house with them when they leave.. :D :D Yes i know its an old one!!

believe me, theres no such thing as a cheap wedding licence, dearest bit of paper i ever bought,....

Why are hurricanes named after women? cos they both take half the house with them when they leave.. :D :D Yes i know its an old one!!

yer kind of right - but ma number 1 wife puir soul left at age 49 an on getting tae heaven, the DSS paid bgr all even tho she'd paid the stamps. Hooever, I did have a number of good 'experiences' after she died, showing that she was still around. Today (Friday) would hae been her 56 birthday. Kept ma heid doon the night aifter spending hours clearing out a wee bit o the garage.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links