Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla G6 4efe To 4efte

addz_slh

Hi.

I have had my Toyota Corolla 1.3 G6 1999 model for around 6 months.

I have always wanted a Starlet for the sake of it being a 1.3 Turbo - cheap to run - good performane.

Now i have gauged interest in doing/getting done a 4EFTE conversion to my Corolla.

Do the engine mounts line up?

What is needed to get the conversion done?

Is it something that can be undertaken by someone why is mechanical minded?

Rough cost?

Will i need to use starlet drive shafts?

Will i need to replace the exsisting wiring loom?

What else should i look-out for?

Thanks in advance - look hearing from people who have done or yet attempted to do this

Thanks!

it has indeed been done before so it is feasible. Yes the 4E-FTE will drop right in, as its exactly the same engine, except with a different ECU, MAP sensor, semi-forged internals with a lower compression, oh and a turbo strapped to the side :D

things on the list:

4E-FTE ECU

starlet turbo MAP sensor

4E-FTE block and internals, with turbo

i advise you swap to a Front mount intercooler, unless you want to put a scoop in your bonnet :huh:

you'll need a full custom exhaust

other stuff:

kepp the corolla driveshafts, the starlet ones will be too short.

and lots of patience, engine conversions always take longer than expected (i'm mid way through prepping my '99 SR for a 3S-GTE conversion B) )

i would advise getting some thicker shafts - the ones on 1300's are a bit thin and probably wont take the extra power. i have a GXi and the thichness in shafts over the 1300 is substancial and the GXi only puts out 118bhp which will be a bit less than you'll end up with. i'm wondering if the manifold of the 4e-fte will match up with a 7a-fe?

the A series manifolds don't match the series ones unfortunately. Also the FE head A series manifolds don't match the GE head ones either :huh:

The 4efte block is the same size and mounts as the 4efe, you wont have a problem there.

The wiring loom is the biggest job in this conversion. I have done 5 of these in Starlets but none in a Corolla. In Starlets I find the best way is to splice the looms, you will find that there is not much difference in the ecu pin outs, it is just a matter of sorting out what you need from the 4efte loom and replacing what you dont need in the rolla loom with it, and then use the 4efte ecu.

The ignition was different on the early 4efte`s, if you use one of those engines you will need the external ignitor coil pack that matches.

Drive shafts wont be a problem, mine take 243 bhp with no problems, they are the same size as the n/a Starlets, cant see yours being any thinner.

I know lads who use the rolla 6 speed in their Starlets, it will stand the pace but I am not sure about the clutch. I would try to locate a 4efte clutch for the transplant engine.

Power steering pump hose link ups will be different, I would try to use your rolla altenator and starter to make the wiring easier.

You will need an exhaust link up, try to get the front part ot the 4efte engine exhaust. If you have the flange that bolts to the turbo cat its easy.

I will recommend bigger brakes, even uprated discs and pads are not up to hard use.

I would set aside £800 to do this complete, there is the extra cost of a front mount as said and piping for it. You can do it cheaper but you will need to do parts of it again as said.

The E and A series engine parts are not interchangable, heads and blocks dont match up.

Hope this helps mate, it is the best tuning upgrade for the 4e series engines for the cost, plus you can expand on it from standard at relatively low cost in tuning terms, and its still econmical to run.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi to all,

i was thinking to start a topic for the change of 4efe to 4efte and saw this topic. I want to ask is the same situation for Corolla E11 4E-FE 1998. I want to make a HP boost, and from my googling it appears that the change from 4efe to 4efte is the best way. Is there any difference in my case? Will i need something more than the 4efte engine? I understand that i will need new exhaust system, but anything more?

I'm new to Toyota so don't kill me please if the question is stupid.

Thanks in advance ;)

P.S. I love toyota :yahoo:

toyota is indeed awesome, or at least used to be. anyway, 4E-FTE into a E11 can and has been done, there is a chap on the TGTT (starlet turbo forum) who has a 4E-FTE'd G6 with a bonnet scoop for the top mount intercooler. i would recommend swapping it for a front mount, more subtle that way. the 4E-FTE is a good engine, very nippy and surprisingly economical for a turbo car. were about's in bulgaria are you? i think it's a nice place.

• 2 years later...

The 4efte block is the same size and mounts as the 4efe, you wont have a problem there.

The wiring loom is the biggest job in this conversion. I have done 5 of these in Starlets but none in a Corolla. In Starlets I find the best way is to splice the looms, you will find that there is not much difference in the ecu pin outs, it is just a matter of sorting out what you need from the 4efte loom and replacing what you dont need in the rolla loom with it, and then use the 4efte ecu.

The ignition was different on the early 4efte`s, if you use one of those engines you will need the external ignitor coil pack that matches.

Drive shafts wont be a problem, mine take 243 bhp with no problems, they are the same size as the n/a Starlets, cant see yours being any thinner.

I know lads who use the rolla 6 speed in their Starlets, it will stand the pace but I am not sure about the clutch. I would try to locate a 4efte clutch for the transplant engine.

Power steering pump hose link ups will be different, I would try to use your rolla altenator and starter to make the wiring easier.

You will need an exhaust link up, try to get the front part ot the 4efte engine exhaust. If you have the flange that bolts to the turbo cat its easy.

I will recommend bigger brakes, even uprated discs and pads are not up to hard use.

I would set aside £800 to do this complete, there is the extra cost of a front mount as said and piping for it. You can do it cheaper but you will need to do parts of it again as said.

The E and A series engine parts are not interchangable, heads and blocks dont match up.

Hope this helps mate, it is the best tuning upgrade for the 4e series engines for the cost, plus you can expand on it from standard at relatively low cost in tuning terms, and its still econmical to run.

Why can you not just use the complete wiring loom of the 4efte engine? Does that work?

• 9 years later...
On 5/5/2008 at 11:17 PM, weeJohn said:

Is anyone still here? I was researching in order to swap the 4efte in a Corolla e11 Hatchback. Anyone can advice in 2020? Thanks!

Each of the posters within this topic, which itself dates back 12 years, last visited the club between 5 and 10 years ago. You're unlikely to receive a response.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links