Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis 2004 - Rev Very Low And Stalling At Stops

livejazz

Hi,

I would be so grateful if anyone could provide some advice on a problem I have with my avensis.

2004 2.0 vti auto version. T3.

It has been going on now for a few months but this last week seems to be worse. Basically the car rev counter seems to often just "hang on" and keeps itself around 400 RPM. The engine vibrates and so does the car. When I am on an incline and take my foot off the brake the engine just can't cope and instantly stalls.

I had the AA round and there were no fault codes but frankly I didn't trust their computer that much.

Now, something very strange also happened today with the car. When I have the air con on and stopped at some traffic lights, the rev counter moves between 400 and 100 every few seconds. It goes up and down. Switch the aircon off and immediately it goes to 400-450.

I have changed the air filter about a year ago and only ever use the best fuel. The fuel filter was also changed about two years ago.

Mileage is 34K, so not much.

I am stuck...

regards

colin

Hi,

I would be so grateful if anyone could provide some advice on a problem I have with my avensis.

It has been going on now for a few months but this last week seems to be worse. Basically the car rev counter seems to often just "hang on" and keeps itself around 400 RPM. The engine vibrates and so does the car. When I am on an incline and take my foot off the brake the engine just can't cope and instantly stalls.

I had the AA round and there were no fault codes but frankly I didn't trust their computer that much.

Now, something very strange also happened today with the car. When I have the air con on and stopped at some traffic lights, the rev counter moves between 400 and 100 every few seconds. It goes up and down. Switch the aircon off and immediately it goes to 400-450.

I have changed the air filter about a year ago and only ever use the best fuel. The fuel filter was also changed about two years ago.

I am stuck...

regards

colin

Get a carburettor/choke cleaner and service your nozzles and clean trottle body if you can do it yourself. Removing and cleaning nozzles needs some expertice so if you're not technically inclines, I will suggest you go to a repair shop.

Another thing you can do is to first adjust your throttle cable on the throttle body, normal idling speed is >=750rpm.

What is your idling speed when you first start the car in a day, does it get to about 1500rpm at first? maybe your answers will help me guide you further.

Hi,

I am stuck...

regards

colin

hi Colin

please advice how do you find performance of your A/C???

it is very interresting matter. in case RPM are dropped sharply once you switch ON an A/C then th eproblem might be with air presence inside the refrigerant circle resulting air moisture freezing after throthle valve -- it is common issue for all A/C. Another serious problem might be with A/C compressor.

Please get is tested first. I think the problem is there.

cheers/igor

Hi i have a 2003 53 plate avensis and my car was doing nearly exactly the same, was reeving over at approx 420r my engine warning light had come on and been reset the week before? and they needed to change the oxigine warning sensor which toyota did under warranty today. and since ive had the car back, it seems to be about 720 - 750 revsthe code was something like ???? p0106? cant quite remeber. id slow down at a round about come to a stop, go to pull off and uuhhmmmmmm gone... engine just cut out on me. will update if i have any more problems, but seems to have sorted it for now.

Just found this thread, and I have to say Mine's got it too! (05 plate Avensis 2.0 litre auto T3 - still under warranty, 18k miles on the clock.)

The symptoms also disappear when the engine is fully hot (after about 10 miles driving) and the revs at tickover are then between 600 - 800 rpm.

I took it to Toyotaworld Cardiff on Thursday and they spent an hour investigating it in the workshop - guess what? - no fault codes recorded.

I will book the car in for an extended diagnosis / hopefull repair on Monday, the Toyota mechanic in the meantime said he would contact Toyota Technical Services to see if they know of the fault. I will also give him a copy of this web page.

I'll be back with further information when I know, and I'll also try turning off the aircon to see if that makes a difference.

Just found this thread, and I have to say Mine's got it too! (05 plate Avensis 2.0 litre auto T3 - still under warranty, 18k miles on the clock.)

The symptoms also disappear when the engine is fully hot (after about 10 miles driving) and the revs at tickover are then between 600 - 800 rpm.

I took it to Toyotaworld Cardiff on Thursday and they spent an hour investigating it in the workshop - guess what? - no fault codes recorded.

I will book the car in for an extended diagnosis / hopefull repair on Monday, the Toyota mechanic in the meantime said he would contact Toyota Technical Services to see if they know of the fault. I will also give him a copy of this web page.

I'll be back with further information when I know, and I'll also try turning off the aircon to see if that makes a difference.

Just got the car back from Toyota - their diagnosis is "a major gremlin" in the CHASSIS ECU (this is why there are no fault codes in the Engine ECU). Unfortunately they couldn't reprogramme it today due to a couple of the files being stuck open. I needed the car back for a journey, so it goes back in next week. If it still can't be reprogrammed, its a new ECU. Thank the Lord its still under warranty! (Do Microsoft write the software do you think?)

At least they washed the car for me.

More next week.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got the car back from Toyota - their diagnosis is "a major gremlin" in the CHASSIS ECU (this is why there are no fault codes in the Engine ECU). Unfortunately they couldn't reprogramme it today due to a couple of the files being stuck open. I needed the car back for a journey, so it goes back in next week. If it still can't be reprogrammed, its a new ECU. Thank the Lord its still under warranty! (Do Microsoft write the software do you think?)

At least they washed the car for me.

More next week.

Hi, the car has just had a THIRD diagnostic visit to Toyota World, and the garage has finally decided to change the ECU as the existing one was impossible to reprogram.

I realise this will not be good news for owners of cars out of warranty, but as its an auto, you will still be able to drive it with your remaining arm and leg.

• 1 month later...

Don't know if this helps or has been answered elsewhere: Avensis 2.0 T3X Auto 54 plate. Had from new. Recently, idled nicely when 1st started, but if switched off, then restarted, idled at about 400, hunted up and down, stalled very easily, improved occasionally if air con switched off but not always. Took it to Toyota World Bham, and Tamworth, both could not locate fault. Both had car for a week, but nothing fixed. Spent £700 trying to fix at Toyota. They did promise to "email their Technicians" but never did. Useless, overpriced - don't get me started (quoted me £140 to change spark plugs - said very poor condition - probable cause of problem - then I said I'd bought from them for £60 the month before and changed them myself - they said "we must have got the reports mixed up - sorry") Then took for a service at little Ravenstone garage (Nr Coalville). Mentioned fault that I'd learnt to live with. Said straight away knew what it was, had to strip down and clean out something or other (sorry - I'm THAT technical :-) throttle something rings a bell?). Got car back same day, fully serviced for £150. Perfect idling since, no matter how hard I try and stall it. Perfect. For anyone who can't fix this problem, worth giving them a call.

Could be any one of your engine sensors or indeed the ecu itself.The most likely suspects are coked up throttle body or idle air control actuator,Mass air flow sensor or Lambda sensor.I would concentrate first on the throttle body or idle air actuator.You have to remember that the ecu will only log a fault if a component is operating outside its normal parameters and some of these problems are mechanically related rather than electronically.

Sometimes with modern cars we forget that they are still basically an internal combustion engine and it is wise to check the basics first.

Good luck

• 4 weeks later...
Sometimes with modern cars we forget that they are still basically an internal combustion engine and it is wise to check the basics first.

I cured this problem with my 2002 2.0 Auto by removing and thoroughly cleaning the throttle body and breather pipe attached to it and refitting. The ECU had to be reset and runs sweetly now. The whole process took about an hour. Previously my garage had not got any ideas about what was wrong with the car! (which surprised me greatly).

The rev's increase when the air-con' is switched on since the engine has to work harder to run the air-con' pump and this is achieved by increasing the revs at tick-over.

Hi,

I am stuck...

regards

colin

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links