Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Carina E 1.8 - O2 Sensor And Electric Windows

cazzapop

Hello,

My drivers electric window has stopped working.

The cable that pulls the window up and down has snapped and I now need a new window motor with cable attached.

Does anyone have one that they could sell me? The fitting of this looks quite complicated to replace, would I be better off just buying a whoe new door from a scrappy (in hopefully the same colour of blue as my car)??

On a more serious note, my engine management light has been on for months now.

My father helped me diagnose the problem using the paper clip diagnostic test! Came back as Code 21. The car still drives fine, sometimes a bit high on the revs when idling - nearly 2000rpm on starting a journey or waiting at junctions, traffic lights etc. Is this doing any harm?

I have read other posts relating to this but has anyone left this error code alone and just lived with it? Will it fail an emmissions test at the next MOT? Will I damage the engine or use up more fuel than normal? The cost of replacing the O2 sensor is putting me off when I don't even know if that is that actual and definite problem.

Is it worthwhile trying a second hand O2 sensor from a scrapyard?

Any advice or comments appreciated...

I lived with it for a while on my Carina (7AFE) and it didnt really make any difference for about 8 months (passed an MOT fine) , then one day all of a sudden the fuel consumption went through the roof.

I read somewhere that these O2 sensors have 2 working parts to them, a heating element which heats them till the engine is running at normal temp and the sensor part which regulates the richness of mixture. The heating element tends to go first (EM Light comes on) and and if so the sensor still works fine when the engine is running at normal temp just not when the car is cold. So you dont notice much/any difference as the lean burn engine warms up so quickly anyway. Its when the sensor part goes that you are in trouble as then the mixture isnt being regulated whether the cars running hot or cold and thats when you see a big difference in performance. Dont know how much of that is true but it certainly seems to fit with my experiences.

Anyway, I got one from a breakers for about £25 and they promised me it worked, but it didnt. Engine management light stayed on.

Wasnt till I got a brand new one (£150 ebay) and fitted it that the engine management light dissapeared and the car returned to its normal ways.

So I'd recommend a brand new one...

• 2 weeks later...

Window problem is now fixed got replacement motor regulator and glass (couldn't get the bolts off my own one so had to take whole thing) from a scrapyard for £25. Yeh!! :D

Tried a used O2 Sensor from the scrapyard aswell (£10) but it has not made i difference. ECU light still on even after a reset to make sure code was gone from memory.

I am loathe to pay nearly £200 for a brand new one so will continue motoring with the light on for a while and see what happens... Thinking about taking it for an official Toyota garage diagnostic check (£35 or so) to see if it could be anything else that is causing this. As it could also be, as stated in the Diagnostic code list any of - Wirings and connectors, O2 sensor, Fuel systems (Injector, fuel pump), Ignition systems (Spark plugs, ignitor), Vacuum sensor, ECU (Engine Control Unit).

Anyone have any experience of thinking it was to O2 sensor only to find out it was something else causing the engine management light to display???

• 3 months later...

Hello,

In follow up to my O2 Sensor post, I can now say happily that the problem has been resolved!

Purchased a brand new O2 Lambda Sensor and hey presto the ECU dashboard light went out as soon as it was fitted!

Bought the sensor for a great price of £149.99 from www.lambdapower.co.uk it looked slightly different to the original one but the fittings were the same and it was dead easy to replace.

If anyone else is looking to buy a new sensor and does not want to pay £300 I'd recommend this company. Details of product below:

Toyota Lean Burn Sensor

4-wire flange-mounting Lambda sensor for leanburn-engined Toyota vehicles for only £149.99 inclusive. A leanburn sensor is over £325 from Toyota. Replaces Toyota 89463-29055, 89463-20070, ADT 37002, Lucas LEB530 and LEB529, Ashika 43-T04, Japanparts OO-T04, and Tomco 11555. It fits Avensis 1.6, 1.8 and Carina E 1.6, 1.8 and other models with 4A-FE and 7A-FE lean-burn engines from 1993 to 1999. It comes complete ready to fit with a new flange gasket.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links