Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear Seats Wont Release

kirasdad

I have a 2001 5 door Rav4. The problem is that the rear seats will not release from the rear floor locked position, the lever is just floating and does nothing. This has happened on both seats so I can not raise or remove either seat.

Can any one tell me how to release the seats without an expensive visit to a Toyota main dealer or damaging the seats?

Also when I get them released, what should I look for and do to prevent this happening again?

I have a 2001 5 door Rav4. The problem is that the rear seats will not release from the rear floor locked position, the lever is just floating and does nothing. This has happened on both seats so I can not raise or remove either seat.

Can any one tell me how to release the seats without an expensive visit to a Toyota main dealer or damaging the seats?

Also when I get them released, what should I look for and do to prevent this happening again?

Sorry - too tempting to miss:-

to remove back seats-

Required:

1 6' wrecking bar

OR 1 small hand electric grinder tool with metal grinding disc

OR a match

On the 4.1, it was a strap release and I never had any bother - and have even less now I removed them entirely.

Same with the landrover - it only has 2 front seats as well.

I've slept since I fiddled with one of these but in line with this instruction;

Seatbaseadjuster.jpg

You have to adjust the bar so that it twists both unlocking levers equally. I have marked the locks with red and the bar with the pinch bolts green. From memory you can lift the seats out easily. If you can, take it out to work on it but if not you'll have to do the best you can. MIND YOUR FINGERS. THE LOCKS ARE SPRING LOADED AND THEY CAN BITE!!!

Seatbase.jpg

To see the image clearly, zoom in with the black bar above the image.

Good luck.

I've slept since I fiddled with one of these but in line with this instruction;

Seatbaseadjuster.jpg

You have to adjust the bar so that it twists both unlocking levers equally. I have marked the locks with red and the bar with the pinch bolts green. From memory you can lift the seats out easily. If you can, take it out to work on it but if not you'll have to do the best you can. MIND YOUR FINGERS. THE LOCKS ARE SPRING LOADED AND THEY CAN BITE!!!

Seatbase.jpg

To see the image clearly, zoom in with the black bar above the image.

Good luck.

Thanks Anchorman, I'll give it a try at the weekend.

I had the same problem and the problem was me as usual .

1 - slide seats all the way back .

2 - drop seats flat till they clunk

3 - little lever becomes active.

dead simple ! :blink:

• 2 weeks later...
I had the same problem and the problem was me as usual .

1 - slide seats all the way back .

2 - drop seats flat till they clunk

3 - little lever becomes active.

dead simple ! :blink:

:jawdrop: Pulled the seats right forward, put the back upright, then followed 1-3 above!!!! :eek::blushing: The little lever worked, the seats lift :yahoo:

Many thanks rob64

• 11 years later...

Hi all got a bit of a dilemma when I put my seats back in I realised I put them wrong way round. I have one seat out however the other seat is locked only on one of the locks at the back. How can i release the lock? Can I prise it open with a flathead any help be appreciated 🙃

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links