Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Advice On Buying Second Hand Or Reconditioned Engine

dosh49

Guys, I need to replace th engine of my mr2, it is hard buying a second hand engine because you really cannot tell if the engine is good, and you cant really verify anything they tell you.

I need to find out if all 2000 model MR2 and above all have just one engine or there are different types

what do i need to look out for when buying an engine

A difficult one to answer......

I think it was around 2002 that the modified pistons were fitted (they had larger drain holes in the oil control rings), so anything after that will be a better bet.

Firstly, make sure you get some form of warranty, if it is "Bought as seen" then you might as well buy some lottery tickets, they might/might not win or in other words, it might/might not last further than the end of the road after being fitted.

Mechanically (if it is from a reputable source), undo the oil filler and check for emulsified oil (like a brown froth), this can be a sign of water contamination,ie; a head gasket or cracked block (not a common fault unless it has been run dry at some point).

Check the dipstick: If it is new oil then they might have something to hide, if it is original but has a burnt smell then this can mean it is either old oil or a worn and tired engine.

There are many other things you could check but it would involve stripping the engine (which isn't really an option in most cases).

If it is a reputable company you should be reasonably ok, if it is private or eBay then I'm afraid it will be a gamble.

Hope this helps

Les

Ditto what Les said really.

Reputable companies are really the place to go. I was involved with the Saga of the dead Celica Engine a few years back ........replacement engine sourced and guaranteed a good one from a breakers somewhere. It was only after removing the old engine and fitting the new one that we found out the new one was rubbish, so had to take it out and ship it back to the breakers for a refund.

The wasted time, money and effort was so annoying !

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links