Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris 1.0 1999 Not Idling Correctly

sajjap

Hi Guys

I’d like to say that this is a wonderful forum, its very educative and useful.

Well, now I’d like some help please.

I have a 1999 1.0 vvti manual yaris, which has so far given me 3 years of trouble free motoring that is until last week.

The engine light started to flash and the car just wouldn’t idle, it seemed to want to cut out after juddering.

I changed the front lambda sensor, which seemed to let the engine idle slightly better than before, but, the light kept on flashing, I disconnected the Battery for approx 30 minutes (I had read somewhere before that this can reset the ecu), after reconnecting the Battery the car went crazy it would just about start and with my foot to the floor, I couldn’t get the engine to rev above 3000 revs.

I then changed the airflow meter, which made the car apparently run ok for approx 20 miles and then the engine light again started to flash and once the engine was warm it would idle at approx 600 revs with a lot of juddering and the engine light would flash.

I then decided to change the throttle body (by the way all these parts were used and sourced from a breakers yard, who informed me that all the parts were removed from a running vehicle), after installing the part, the engine whilst it is cold idles at approx 700 revs with a slight judder, when the engine has warmed up it revs at approx 1100 – 1200 revs, I know that this is slightly high, also the engine light flashes for a few seconds within the first minute of the car being started and then it stops flashing.

The car seems to run ok, except that it idles a little too fast and from a standing start in 1st gear I notice a slight flat spot.

Any suggestions please, as I am starting to go bald from scratching my head!!!

Also, I live in Spain and I don’t have much faith in the skill or pricing of the local mechanics (through experience).

Best Regards

Saj

Hi Guys

I’d like to say that this is a wonderful forum, its very educative and useful.

Well, now I’d like some help please.

I have a 1999 1.0 vvti manual yaris, which has so far given me 3 years of trouble free motoring that is until last week.

The engine light started to flash and the car just wouldn’t idle, it seemed to want to cut out after juddering.

I changed the front lambda sensor, which seemed to let the engine idle slightly better than before, but, the light kept on flashing, I disconnected the battery for approx 30 minutes (I had read somewhere before that this can reset the ecu), after reconnecting the battery the car went crazy it would just about start and with my foot to the floor, I couldn’t get the engine to rev above 3000 revs.

I then changed the airflow meter, which made the car apparently run ok for approx 20 miles and then the engine light again started to flash and once the engine was warm it would idle at approx 600 revs with a lot of juddering and the engine light would flash.

I then decided to change the throttle body (by the way all these parts were used and sourced from a breakers yard, who informed me that all the parts were removed from a running vehicle), after installing the part, the engine whilst it is cold idles at approx 700 revs with a slight judder, when the engine has warmed up it revs at approx 1100 – 1200 revs, I know that this is slightly high, also the engine light flashes for a few seconds within the first minute of the car being started and then it stops flashing.

The car seems to run ok, except that it idles a little too fast and from a standing start in 1st gear I notice a slight flat spot.

Any suggestions please, as I am starting to go bald from scratching my head!!!

Also, I live in Spain and I don’t have much faith in the skill or pricing of the local mechanics (through experience).

Best Regards

Saj

Hi, I can't really help but would like to say, I for one, would not trust a breakers yard that states parts are removed from a running car. These sorts of parts are probably more likely to be faulty if the car has been scrapped and ripped apart. Think about it... Why was the car scrapped? If you know the history and it was running well but had a collision, it may have beeen worth it but in my experience, used electricals are no more use than a chocolate firegaurd!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links