Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is The Alarm Upgradeable?

Jase4772

After a very very recent window incident I was wondering if I can upgrade my Rav's standard alarm to include interior sensors, the Rav's a 2004 3dr XT3. Whilst this won't stop a window break it will at least alert me and maybe give me a chance to beat the #@?% out of someone :)

Cheers

After a very very recent window incident I was wondering if I can upgrade my Rav's standard alarm to include interior sensors, the Rav's a 2004 3dr XT3. Whilst this won't stop a window break it will at least alert me and maybe give me a chance to beat the #@?% out of someone :)

Cheers

Automatic taser devices; machetes; an invertor running off the battery; TNT; cling film; and a host of others are all possible.

The 1994 RAV came with interior sensors but the company went bust. It was a good system.

Nowadays, there is a host of thing you can add in. Investing in a shotgun and taking some lessons could be 1. You could try sleeping in the car, but if you also add extras you could wake up and gie yersel a nasty shock.

Trembler devices and movement sensors have been around for decades. Why not lay mines around the perimeter of the car. Or if you want to keep within the Geneva Convention, just keep it to detonators - anchorman will help you on this.

Hmmmm some interesting approaches. I was thinking along the lines of a baseball bat coupled with a nice pair of Caterpillars for good tread when stomping. ;)

Cheers

What alarm system do you have currently? I thought that model already had interior sensors? the manuals with my car refers to interior sensors and I have a 2005 XT3.

Not sure about the exact model, I'll have to check that out. It just says Toyota security so I'm guessing its the basic alarm package. Maybe its an upgrade available from new and the person who had this before me didn't get it. Going to give Mr.T a ring today and hopefully he'll be able to answer what it is and if its doable.

Jase, the booklet I got with my RAV is for the "TVSS IV-D".

Just reading the info again and it talks about two things that could be relevent to your question?

It says it detects:

"Movement within the vehicle's interior (if armed with interior protection"

and

"The sound of glass being attacked (only for vehicles where glass break sensor is fitted)"

So I guess both the above are optional items? and now I don't know if mine really does has either one or not ?? Think I need to speak to my dealer as well now :)

But the answer to your question I think is "Yes" as the alarm seems to support those features, Iwould think if you don;t have them, they can be added on.

a dog in the vehicle? like Churchill? :lol:

but he only says "Oh Yes!" so that won't help if they want to remove you radio... :huh:

a dog in the vehicle? like Churchill? :lol:

but he only says "Oh Yes!" so that won't help if they want to remove you radio... :huh:

Hate that Dog :2guns::death::chef::cheers:

And the new Flocking advert arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :censor: :censor: :censor: :censor:

Jase, the booklet I got with my RAV is for the "TVSS IV-D".

Just reading the info again and it talks about two things that could be relevent to your question?

It says it detects:

"Movement within the vehicle's interior (if armed with interior protection"

and

"The sound of glass being attacked (only for vehicles where glass break sensor is fitted)"

So I guess both the above are optional items? and now I don't know if mine really does has either one or not ?? Think I need to speak to my dealer as well now :)

But the answer to your question I think is "Yes" as the alarm seems to support those features, Iwould think if you don;t have them, they can be added on.

The TOYOTA TECH site confirms you can install a glass break sensor on the 4.2. Unfortunately, you can only install it to 5 door models. :thumbsup:

Is mine a 4.2 or 4.3? Never seem to know for sure on that one.

Anyhoo sounds like I could fit a radar sensor which I guess senses internal movement so that should cover the breaking glass? Annoyingly didn't get chance to ring Toyota today. Grrr at being too busy!

Jase,

Yours is the 4.2 and probably the face-lifted one (round front fog lamps?)

Anyway, just been looking at my old 4.2 brochure and internal microwave protection appears to be standard across the range (NV,NRG,GX,VX) in 2002. I know it was on my old 4.2, just below the radio, behind the dash, (I remember seeing it while messing behind there).

Now, they may have removed it on 4.2 face-lift, but I don't see why. Maybe it is already there and the sensitivity have been turn down low possibly, or it just doesn't cover the rear very well. Been looking for a diagram, but don't seem to have one in my collection, or not one I've found yet. Sorry!

Cheers

I'll have a look at mine tomorrow I think.

Jase must have the face-lift 4.2 model as that is when they changed from VX,GX, etc to XT2,XT3,XT4, etc - which makes it a 4.2.5 or something :)

A wee point of information. If ye fit a movement sensor etc to the car, you have less than 2 seconds to rush to the car once you hear the alarm...cos thats how long it takes to do the damage. Now, if you can wake up; put the running shoes on; wrap yer pyjams aroon ye tae avoid bein done fur exposure; and find adequate protection by way of a knife proof vest; and be awake enuf tae describe the punter tae the polis; all within twa seconds then ye shuid be gaein fur the Olympics.

I got shown a halogen flood, with PIR and a camera all in 1 unit, fitted with a SD memory card which takes photos or videos and is able to be connected tae yer PC - then it cuid be stuck oan yer building/neeburs hoose/lamp standard and capture photies o yer crim. The PIR would gie the guy a fricht an so would the sign saying he's jist been got fur the new 'You've been Caught' programme. City Electrical factors are selling it fur £87 + VAT. Its one o their own makes but the same concept must be aroon - beauty o this wan wis it comes as a single easy tae fit pack. Dinna fit it tae yer RAV as ye'll need a long cable! Or a connection tae Duncerduncs electricity supply.

Hello there.... :D

We had some low life scum :angry: spraying our cars in my neighbourhood so when I got Big Red I had a Viper system insalled. This comes with a pager that should (so they say) page you if your alarm goes off up to a range of a mile...(a bit optimistic) Anywho, I've got a 5 tone siren interior and exterior sensors and if you want you can upgrade to the window kit and lifting sensor kit...

Cant really knock it - although the friggin exterior sensor is a bit tooo sensative - the fact that I have all me windows tinted doesnt help so most of the time I've got the exterior sensor switched off but as I didnt pay for that bit I'm not all to bothered - ontop of not being bothered is that they caught a 46 year old GIRL :eek: who had done it....

I did however pay around the 400 for having it fully fitted....

Hope that helps

Regards

Rob

B)

Well at least I know what its is at last (it does have the round fogs)

Just got off the phone from my local Toyota dealer and they've told me the alarm can't be added to or upgraded. So I guess its 3rd party time if I really want it.

I suppose the best thing to do is leave the car with the glove box empty and open to hopefully convince scum there's nothing in the car to take. Guess even having an internal alarm sensor would only alert me to the exact time the car windows could potentially be broken and may only serve to protect other cars from the same fate.

Thanks for all your help people! :thumbsup:

have you got the flashing LEDS in the car? there is a standard one near the drivers door below an airvent and a optional - and very visible - one in the centre console - I have that fitted on mine and I can see it flashing from 30 feet away.

visible deterents can be just as - and sometimes more - effective then actual fitted ones.

Also parking car in the safest place - many people think a quiet side road is best but is probably the worst of all - busy car parks are best. I think in your case with druggy scumbags doing the car it wouldn't have mattered, but usually it can make a difference.

Well at least I know what its is at last (it does have the round fogs)

Just got off the phone from my local Toyota dealer and they've told me the alarm can't be added to or upgraded. So I guess its 3rd party time if I really want it.

I suppose the best thing to do is leave the car with the glove box empty and open to hopefully convince scum there's nothing in the car to take. Guess even having an internal alarm sensor would only alert me to the exact time the car windows could potentially be broken and may only serve to protect other cars from the same fate.

Thanks for all your help people! :thumbsup:

I would not agree with that... :nono:

With the Viper kit installed I can still use the Toyota alarm if I lock the car using the fob on the key - the viper system wont arm the in and exterior alarm but the immobiliser still kicks in after 20-30 secs - if I want to use the viper system I just lock the car using the pagerfob and that locks the car and arms the system...

So you can have the toyota alarm and a 3rd party alarm working together...

Further more I have 2 LEDs flashing now... the standard red one and a really bright blue one... that should deterr the little :censor: :censor: :censor: :angry:

Regards

Rob

B)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links