Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Just Been Mot'd

Rav4 Benitez

I'll type out what the fails were, see if anybody can guess what the total cost was

Also had fan belt and cambelt/water pump changed while it was in...

Bear in mind I've had the work done, and just been presented with the bill...

001 Offside headlamp aim too high [1.6]

002 Offside front coil spring fractured [2.4.C.1a]

003 Nearside front brake disc excessively worn [3.5.1h]

004 Rear exhaust system has a major leak of exhaust gases [7.1.2a]

005 Emissions not tested [X9999]

006 Power steering malfunctioning [2.3.1a]

Any guesses?

Total inc VAT was

£750.

have I been had?

have I been had?

If it was done at a main dealer, then I would say no! I know someone who spent over £700 on a MOT for a Ford Fiesta once :eek:

have I been had?

If it was done at a main dealer, then I would say no! I know someone who spent over £700 on a MOT for a Ford Fiesta once :eek:

Local garage.

Pain in the backside like, but car should run and run now.

Local garage.

Pain in the backside like, but car should run and run now.

Try contacting your local Toyota dealer and ask them for an estimate of the work you've had done. If they come out more expensive you know you've got a good deal! :thumbsup:

I would not be too surprised to be presented with that bill (not that I would look forward to it )

I would not be too surprised to be presented with that bill (not that I would look forward to it )

Thats great. I wasn't expecting that much,but if it seems reasonable, then I'm happy. I know it needed a few things doing, so if that's covered everything, then my Rav should run and run now. Happy days.

I'll type out what the fails were, see if anybody can guess what the total cost was

Also had fan belt and cambelt/water pump changed while it was in...

Bear in mind I've had the work done, and just been presented with the bill...

001 Offside headlamp aim too high [1.6] £5 tops

002 Offside front coil spring fractured [2.4.C.1a] This is subject to a Toyota recall and should have been replaced free of charge and you should have received a letter from Mr T telling you so.

003 Nearside front brake disc excessively worn [3.5.1h]The minimum disc thickness is marked on the inside of the casting - did you get the disc back? £160 if not and probably stung.

004 Rear exhaust system has a major leak of exhaust gases [7.1.2a]£100 tops

005 Emissions not tested [X9999]So whits this aboot - a faulty smoke machine at the garage?

006 Power steering malfunctioning [2.3.1a]Crap - £5 for fluid

Any guesses?

Total inc VAT was £750.

have I been had?

Dear Saint Helens,

Its most kind of you to support the poor in your area, and especially those working in garages. I'd imagine they must have tears in their eyes as they book their holiday to New Zealand.....

As per the spring, you might be able to claim the cost of the spring back but not the labour - I've had the front struts apart and its an easy job. If both springs were not replaced, the car will be probably imbalanced. Visit yer local Toyota dealer who can call up yer RAV regy and tell you whether the RAV shuid hae had its springs done under the current recall. If yer local garage had hauf a brain, they shuid hae kent that. It was a big recall for a lot of RAVs of the 1995 era.

wether you have been stung or not doeant depend on what it failed on it depends on what they had to do to get it to pass. eg

changing the fan belt and cambelt probably cost £100 - £200 if the cambelt is as awkward one these as it is on many cars.

headlight : with the amount of other work being done no charge unless the adjuster is siezed

coil spring : well if it had been done at toyota it may have been a freebie but you cant expect your local garage to do it freebie so that was probably £50 - £100 for the spring and an hour to fit

brake disc : £160 as stated above

exhaust : £100 as above

emissions not tested: cant test them with a leaking exhaust have to wait till its fixed

Power steering malfunctioning: if this was due to low fluid then £10 tops for fluid and 15 mins labour for topping it up and testing the steering. if it really needed a new power steering box then its the cost of the box (few hundred probably) and the cost of the labour 2 hours or so.

can you tell us how they fixed the fails and what they charged you in parts and labour should be able to say if your were stung or not then

I know it is obviously a different car, but looked at the last service on my 02 Plate Punto which had some similar work carried out to the one described:

Cambelt Change was £44 for parts and £84 labour

Water Pump was £42 for parts and £32 for labour

Front Pads were £29 for parts

Front Discs were £44 for parts

Labour for Pads and Discs was £21

So total for above was £291 +VAT =£348. Add in say £40 for fluids that would have to be replaced for that work and looking at close to £400 on a small 1.2 car, so £750 for all the above on a bigger, more complex car, as well as exhaust, springs (must be done in pairs I would think) and some adjustments......

I still think £750 is not too bad. (maybe I am just a sucker??)

Dear Saint Helens,

Its most kind of you to support the poor in your area, and especially those working in garages. I'd imagine they must have tears in their eyes as they book their holiday to New Zealand.....

PMSL, you do have a way with words Bothy

It is difficult to say if you were had or not, we dont know the extent of the power steering loss, belt, fluid??? and if your springs were replaced as a pair? but at an independant I wouldnt have expected to pay that much, can you give a breakdown of the charges?

Kingo :thumbsup:

I recently had a water pump and cam belt change on a 4.2 model at Toyota garage and I was just over £500. I don't think with all the rest of the work involved it was that bad a price...

I've got an itemised bill somewhere, I'll get it out and put it on here.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links