Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Real World Mpg

Furious D

My wife currently drives a 53-reg Corolla T3 5 door and gets around 37mpg from the onboard computer. We are looking at chopping it in for a Rav4 5 door 2.0L Petrol XT5 on an 05-reg. When she is in the office she can do a few miles but not enough to warrant a diesel over a petrol especially with the rising costs. The XT5 has SatNav and does not have an onboard mpg computer.

What MPG should she be looking at getting from the 2.0L petrol 5 door. I know it depends on how it is driven but anyones experience would help.

Cheers

D

My wife currently drives a 53-reg Corolla T3 5 door and gets around 37mpg from the onboard computer. We are looking at chopping it in for a Rav4 5 door 2.0L Petrol XT5 on an 05-reg. When she is in the office she can do a few miles but not enough to warrant a diesel over a petrol especially with the rising costs. The XT5 has SatNav and does not have an onboard mpg computer.

What MPG should she be looking at getting from the 2.0L petrol 5 door. I know it depends on how it is driven but anyones experience would help.

Cheers

D

I reset my onboard computer between fillups and I have found that it is between 5mpg and 8mpg out.

Does the XT5 have an OEM head unit? If so, I would have thought it had the on-board computer especially as the low specs do.

As far as MPG goes, my overall average in in my signature - I am currently driving for max economy and still only getting about 32MPG I would say.

Cheers

D

I reset my onboard computer between fillups and I have found that it is between 5mpg and 8mpg out.

Does the XT5 have an OEM head unit? If so, I would have thought it had the on-board computer especially as the low specs do.

As far as MPG goes, my overall average in in my signature - I am currently driving for max economy and still only getting about 32MPG I would say.

Thanks guys, quite different!

The XT5 has an OEM satnav big screen where the normal stereo and computer goes, however my friend Toyota Main Dealer has said that the do not have the mpg computer even though it has satnav :eek:

Unless ye remove the prop shaft, then ye'vee goat 4 wheel drive which sucks up a bit more petrol

My RAV with the turbo in it gets 21mpg or better if I don't floor the pedal - but not much point doing a mod not to enjoy it!!

I drive the Punto as well and that gets a good mpg but then its chyte to drive.

For economy, I use the Trafic minibus which runs on propane - which varies from 48p to 65p a litre; or about 10p if taken from yer own tank.

I find my onboard is about spot on from one fill up to another

Av 29MPG but as said Prior, I'm on Max MPG driving and currently 32.2

You can get down to 25ish on short trips :crybaby:

I do notice an increase using branded fuel rather than Tesco's and currently monitoring without roof cross bars

Well i popped round to the inlaws today. They have an 04-reg XT3 Auto and it is currently doing 34.5mg on the computer readout. So take 5mpg off of that and she does not use the motorways often, 29.5mpg on an Auto i did not think was bad.

D

Well i popped round to the inlaws today. They have an 04-reg XT3 Auto and it is currently doing 34.5mg on the computer readout. So take 5mpg off of that and she does not use the motorways often, 29.5mpg on an Auto i did not think was bad.

D

I have a 2007 Rav XTR diesel 2.2, and the computer is claiming 55.8 m.p.g. I am not a slow driver, but do not race the engine, there is no need in this 6 gear model anyway, as in top it will do 30 mph per 1000 revs. I have found out today that these computers tend to produce inaccurate readings, so I will make a manual check, but even if I was 8 m.p.g. out I still feel this is excellent for a 2.2 four wheel drive. I am confident however, the computer readings are accurate, because it is a demonstrator, and the salesman was quite proud on my test drive, when he pointed out the figure was 41 m.p.g. I do know that the petrol models are quite thirsty, and would recommend spending the extra on the heavy oil.

Ello there...

I dont really trust the readings we get from our trusty onboard CPU!!

Personally I just go by how many miles I get out of a tank and Big Red does about 250 miles driving around town and around the 300 miles on the motorway...

Not great as I used to get around 400 out my avensis on the motorways and around 300-330 for town driving... Then again the Rav is a tad heavier - and needless to say much nicer....

If you dont tend to do much milage then go for the petrol...however if you do drive a lot get the diesel...

Regards

Rob

B)

No i have been looking at the difference between Petrol and Diesel. First time i did it was back in April

Petrol - £4.7 gallon

Diesel - £5.23 gallon

We worked out that the wife will do a max of 1,000 miles per month, a stated in the first thread she has a Corolla at the moment, her are my findings:

For 1000 miles Over 1 year

Corolla 36.5mpg - 27.40gallons - £130.78 - Over 1 year = £1569.34

RavP 29 mpg - 34.48gallons - £164.60 - Over 1 year = £1975.20

RavD 35 mpg - 28.57gallons - £149.37 - Over 1 year = £1792.46

This means cost based on April prices would mean that the Petrol was £182.74 more expensive for the fuel, based on 3 years £548.22. However the premium is (from what i have seen) around £1500 - £2000 for a Diesel.

With the price of diesel going up all the time, the difference in price between Petrol and diesel for 3 years is only £411.16 based on today's prices.

You seriously have to do a lot of miles to make a diesel pay these days.

D

Cheers

D

Well having boasted that my 2007 Rav XTR diesel is doing 55.8 m.p.g. according to the computer. I have today topped up my tank to a level that got diesel on my hands, and calculated after 161 miles the car was doing 49.8 m.p.g. And this is assuming that I squeezed every drop of fuel out of the nozzle the last time I filled up. It is possible that the previous fill up was 1/2 lite short from the maximum, which would improve the figure to 51.4. I feel this is still very good, but it makes me wonder whether my previous cars. a Citroen Picasso at 56.4, and a Nissan Xtrail at 42.8 also had computer inaccuracies. I will report on my next fill up the manual calculations.

Dont shoot me down in flames if i am wrong but i am lead to believe that the 2.2 new engines in the new shapes are more economical.

waits to be shot hehe

Dont shoot me down in flames if i am wrong but i am lead to believe that the 2.2 new engines in the new shapes are more economical.

waits to be shot hehe

No shooting...

... because you're right! ;)

The 2.2 134bhp D-4D also has a lower CO2 than the old 2.0 engine :thumbsup:

I have today topped up my tank to a level that got diesel on my hands, and calculated after 161 miles the car was doing 49.8 m.p.g.

Why? :blink:

You seem to had a car with a theoretical range of 660 miles! Why fill it up after only the first quarter of the tank has been used?

Each to their own but I couldn't be bothered to stop and fill up with just 14.7 litres of fuel! :wacko:

Anyway, congradulations on your excellent mpg :thumbsup:

I have today topped up my tank to a level that got diesel on my hands, and calculated after 161 miles the car was doing 49.8 m.p.g.

You seem to had a car with a theoretical range of 660 miles! Why fill it up after only the first quarter of the tank has been used?

Each to their own but I couldn't be bothered to stop and fill up with just 14.7 litres of fuel! :wacko:

Because I was trying to prove a point. Having believed the on board computer which recorded an avarage of 55.8, was correct, I could not wait to do a manual check on the figures.

Because I was trying to prove a point. Having believed the on board computer which recorded an avarage of 55.8, was correct, I could not wait to do a manual check on the figures.

Fair enough :huh:

Let's us know your mpg figure after you have used 3/4's of a tank.....we will be interested to know.

Good luck :thumbsup:

I do notice an increase using branded fuel rather than Tesco's and currently monitoring without roof cross bars

29 :o , checked my towing figures recently and got 28mpg towing a 1500kg caravan B)

That was full tank to full tank actual figure not the computer - 180 miles all A roads no dual carriageway or motorway, all towing bar 3 for the trip to the garage

29 :o , checked my towing figures recently and got 28mpg towing a 1500kg caravan B)

That was full tank to full tank actual figure not the computer - 180 miles all A roads no dual carriageway or motorway, all towing bar 3 for the trip to the garage

I am thinking of buying a caravan Beezer, how does that 28m.p.g. compare with your normal figures. What model caravan do you tow and how does the car cope; can you use 6th gear much. Also what do you think of twin axle vans, what advantages/ disadvantages are there. Any info appreciated.

I am thinking of buying a caravan Beezer, how does that 28m.p.g. compare with your normal figures. What model caravan do you tow and how does the car cope; can you use 6th gear much. Also what do you think of twin axle vans, what advantages/ disadvantages are there. Any info appreciated.

Usually get 40ish mpg give or take one or two on a tank of mainly local driving when I remember to check it, never use/trust the onboard display.

Got an Elddis Odyssey 524, max weight is 1525kg but I'm usually around the 1500 mark with it, the Rav has no problem with it but don't usually see 6th unless it's a flat/downhill section of motorway or decent other road. The 4.3 diesel is shown as 1640kg kerbweight, had mine weighed and it was 1695 with all the extra bits it's got - towbar, sidesteps protection bits etc. Even at 1695 I'm a bit over the 85% ratio that is the recommended ratio for a good safe tow but it's not been a problem. It's not law just a fairly accepted caravanners "rule" a lot of seasoned towers go up to but don't exceed 100% .

Twin axles are fine if the layout suits you and they are within your weight limits , they are usually a more stable tow just harder to manouevre when on site due to the twin wheels and extra weight, though you can get twin wheel motor movers that make it easy. Looked at some myself but didn't fit the size criteria (only got so much length to store it) and nearly all were way too heavy for a safe tow with the Rav.

Usually get 40ish mpg give or take one or two on a tank of mainly local driving when I remember to check it, never use/trust the onboard display.

Got an Elddis Odyssey 524, max weight is 1525kg but I'm usually around the 1500 mark with it, the Rav has no problem with it but don't usually see 6th unless it's a flat/downhill section of motorway or decent other road. The 4.3 diesel is shown as 1640kg kerbweight, had mine weighed and it was 1695 with all the extra bits it's got - towbar, sidesteps protection bits etc. Even at 1695 I'm a bit over the 85% ratio that is the recommended ratio for a good safe tow but it's not been a problem. It's not law just a fairly accepted caravanners "rule" a lot of seasoned towers go up to but don't exceed 100% .

Twin axles are fine if the layout suits you and they are within your weight limits , they are usually a more stable tow just harder to manouevre when on site due to the twin wheels and extra weight, though you can get twin wheel motor movers that make it easy. Looked at some myself but didn't fit the size criteria (only got so much length to store it) and nearly all were way too heavy for a safe tow with the Rav.

Many thanks Beezer for your very helpful reply. I have learnt more from you than any caravan dealer I have been in contact with over the last couple of months?? I did venture into caravanning a few years back, but only for a short time; and did have a motor mover, which was a bit of a luxury really as the van was not that big. Nevertheless, I did find it absolutely brilliant, and it was easy to manouvre the outfit into the narrowest of spaces. May well put one on the Rav as well !! All the best. John

good to see that you also found that german site. but with only 32mpg and a manual box you still have some work to do! :lol:

You are right! I am blaming the hills around here ;)

and I found the site from your Sig :cheers:

On my SWB 53 D4D driving like a saint I come out at 43.1 mpg ACTUAL (not using the on-board computer). The on-board said 48ish iirc but we all know it's highly optimistic. Normal day to day is 43ish indicated if i'm sensible rather than saintly but I have a few 'extra' bits to keep the MPG up.

On my SWB 53 D4D driving like a saint I come out at 43.1 mpg ACTUAL (not using the on-board computer). The on-board said 48ish iirc but we all know it's highly optimistic. Normal day to day is 43ish indicated if i'm sensible rather than saintly but I have a few 'extra' bits to keep the MPG up.

That's what we like to hear :thumbsup: Keep up the good work :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links