Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Why Are Toyota Satnav Discs So Expensive?

Groovy Mucker

They want €159 for the disc. I could get a whole Garmin Nuvo 250 from Amazon for £105, and share it with SWMBO, and get free updates etc.

Mad. Goodness knows how much it would have added to the car's cost when new. Seems to me that expecting payment for updates is a bit of a rip-off.

They want €159 for the disc. I could get a whole Garmin Nuvo 250 from Amazon for £105, and share it with SWMBO, and get free updates etc.

Mad. Goodness knows how much it would have added to the car's cost when new. Seems to me that expecting payment for updates is a bit of a rip-off.

I thought the same when I went for another disc which then made me wonder if it was possible to copy them on a PC.

I thought the same when I went for another disc which then made me wonder if it was possible to copy them on a PC.

Yes it is.

I think the cost reflects the fact that it includes Europe?

Garmin/TomTom etc is UK only I presume

The cost of the update is initially imposed by the mapping company, which Toyota pay a license fee for, and then in turn charge Toyota owners - with a mark up. So with the current mapping company it's never going to be free. Perhaps the handheld manufacturer's absorb this cost? I'm sure my brother inlaw said TomTom charge for updates anyway.

The cost of the update is initially imposed by the mapping company, which Toyota pay a license fee for, and then in turn charge Toyota owners - with a mark up. So with the current mapping company it's never going to be free. Perhaps the handheld manufacturer's absorb this cost? I'm sure my brother inlaw said TomTom charge for updates anyway.

Tomtom and Garmin are worldwide !! and the reason for the cost of the disc is so high is the same as anything else with this country ie you do not pay what a thing costs to manufacturer with a mark up for profit !! you pay what the market will stand and what people are prepared to pay.

As an example at the moment you can download onto an SD card the latest map of Europe from Tomtom for£39-99

You get free updates throughout the year and then pay for a yearly upgrade on other things like Speed Camera Locations etc.

The TomTom One was Europe, too (though that seems to make less difference in price than I would have expected).

I've bought the TomTom. The screen is smaller, but it's the same price more or less as the disc and I can share it with SWMBO.

The TomTom One was Europe, too (though that seems to make less difference in price than I would have expected).

I've bought the TomTom. The screen is smaller, but it's the same price more or less as the disc and I can share it with SWMBO.

I suggest you have a look at this site http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/

They are very helpful and the speed camera data base is so much better than the tomtom safety camera alerts .

Just a word of warning if you do connect your tomtom up to tomtom home to update the software and mapping do not depend on the back up in tomtom home !!! make a copy in windows explorer as tomtom home is unreliable !! the web site above will explain all as it is easy to corrupt the software

Don't forget you should have a 30 day latest map guarantee to be able to update your map free of charge to the latest one

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links