Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

White Smoke Coming From Landcruiser

dpughe

I have 2005 3 litre turbo diesel Landcruiser. Recently it has started bellowing white smoke when the car is started from cold. This only lasts a few seconds, but the smoke is very smelly. Any ideas?

David

I have 2005 3 litre turbo diesel Landcruiser. Recently it has started bellowing white smoke when the car is started from cold. This only lasts a few seconds, but the smoke is very smelly. Any ideas?

David

Have they elected a new Pope? ;) :lol:

Seriously is your oil overfilled?

David

If its a bitter ,acrid smell,then its probably coolant leaking into the cyl overnight. This means either a crack in the head ,or a head gasket needs replacing.

The sooner its fixed ,the cheaper;)

Blue smoke= oil

Black smoke= over fueling

White smoke= water

• 1 month later...

David

How about changing the fuel filter (diesel filter) and see if that makes a difference.

white smoke is the diesel fuel not burning properly

so if its only when starting from cold, may be a problem with the glowplugs.

or the pump may be out of sync and not injecting properly untill the pressure has built up in the system

a more major problem may be a lack of compression when cold, which could be caused by iffy valve seats or pistonrings.

but it is more than likely your glowplugs or water getting into the combustion chamber somehow.

• 9 years later...

Did you ever go d out what the problem  was

The OP hasn't posted on the forum since their first and only post in June 2008, so we don't know whether the issue was resolved.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links