Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mighty Impressive Fuel Economy

Habu

I went over to Manchester city centre today from home and when parked up I glanced over to the consumption page and noticed this :o Hence the photo...The car's average is 'still' only 55mpg but today the mpg was incredible. Refilling the car after the photo confirmed the economy. And no, I wasn't crawling along either although from Saddleworth Moor on the M62 there's quite a bit of downhill to Manchester. :D

photo.jpg

I went over to Manchester city centre today from home and when parked up I glanced over to the consumption page and noticed this :o Hence the photo...The car's average is 'still' only 55mpg but today the mpg was incredible. Refilling the car after the photo confirmed the economy. And no, I wasn't crawling along either although from Saddleworth Moor on the M62 there's quite a bit of downhill to Manchester. :D

photo.jpg

Last I filled up, my gauge says 58mpg. I did have it up to 59.1mpg at one time. Up and down the M1 commute driving with town driving. Did 490 ish miles and filled up 38.5litres.

MPG in the 50's and under 500 miles from a tank maybe "Mighty Impressive" for a Prius, but a 1.6 litre diesel Citroen C4 can get figures closer to 80 MPG and over 800 miles from a 60 litre tank.

Quotes from the C4 Owners Forum...

I've still got the average at 88.2.

Trip mileage is 230 with 3 segments of fuel guage gone.

Miles left in tank 981, giving a theoretcal range of 1211.

I'm getting a constant 61.3mpg with sensible driving i.e. not driving so slowly I have half a county of traffic flashing me in my rear-view mirror.

MPG in the 50's and under 500 miles from a tank maybe "Mighty Impressive" for a Prius, but a 1.6 litre diesel Citroen C4 can get figures closer to 80 MPG and over 800 miles from a 60 litre tank.

Quotes from the C4 Owners Forum...

I've still got the average at 88.2.

Trip mileage is 230 with 3 segments of fuel guage gone.

Miles left in tank 981, giving a theoretcal range of 1211.

I'm getting a constant 61.3mpg with sensible driving i.e. not driving so slowly I have half a county of traffic flashing me in my rear-view mirror.

My cars average of 55mpg is its complete average since I got the car 10,000 miles ago so I consider 55 to be excellent plus I was getting into the 90's on that trip :P I don't drive the Prius just because it's fairly frugal, I drive it because it's different and cheap to run plus it has loads of gadgets and is quirky. I don't do mainstream. If I wanted just frugal I would have bought an Aygo. Some people just completely miss the plot. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Prius is an outstanding car in my opinion. Since I purchased the prius my motoring costs are very small. £15 a year road tax, fuel consumption 55 MPG. It is a pleasure to drive and I am well satisfied. Habu I agree with your comments.

Some people just completely miss the plot
Sorry if I missed the plot, the title of the thread is "mighty impressive fuel economy" not "I drive it because it's different and cheap to run plus it has loads of gadgets and is quirky", maybe I misread it.

I accept diesel technology is further advanced than hybrid, but the point is you don't need a Prius for "Mighty Impressive Fuel Economy". Almost any modern car with a medium sized engine can do over 50mpg.

From a Citroën C4 110HDi.

54mpg-May08.jpg

(The trip computer only goes to 10,000Km, about 6,200 miles.)

I'm currently on about 67mpg. but as I've only done around 400 miles, mostly motorway cruising, I don't consider that sufficiently statistically valid to cover enough driving scenarios.

Some people just completely miss the plot
Sorry if I missed the plot, the title of the thread is "mighty impressive fuel economy" not "I drive it because it's different and cheap to run plus it has loads of gadgets and is quirky", maybe I misread it.

MPG in the 50's and under 500 miles from a tank maybe "Mighty Impressive" for a Prius, .

Asked and answered your own question there mate !

You didn't misread the thread title, just misinterpreted it .

Sorry guys, I think people are getting confused as to what I considered to be "mighty impressive". It isn't the 55.7, which in itself is good as a 10,000 mile overall mpg figure, but the near 100mpg I'd been getting for over half an hour as per the yellow columns and not the average mpg number under it.

If anyone thinks getting nearly 100mpg for more than 30 minutes isn't "Mighty impressive" then words fail me.

Habu :thumbsup:

If anyone thinks getting nearly 100mpg for more than 30 minutes isn't "Mighty impressive" then words fail me.
Yes 100mpg is mighty impressive. I think if someone could add a function to a GPS that gave you not only shortest and fastest routes but also the best mpg route then lots of folks would be choosing that option right now.

Maybe someone could start a thread with the routes/roads that let you get the best mpg?

Have to say that you cannot even use the words Toyota and Citroen in the same sentence.One has a reputation for building cars with legendary build quality and reliability and the other.........well you make up your mind which is which.

Have to say that you cannot even use the words Toyota and Citroen in the same sentence.One has a reputation for building cars with legendary build quality and reliability and the other........
Build the most sort after diesel engines in the world, just ask Mitsubishi, Ford and BMW all of whom have collaborated with the PSA group in the last 10 years to share their engine technology.

Yes Citroen may not have the reliability record of Toyota but this is a thread about fuel economy not reliability.

Sure the wind wasn't blowing u along on that stretch of motorway or you being sucked along by all the lorries slip streams............. seems u had a lot of regenerative power going back into the Battery

I do that trip regularly and can get similar screeens and average about 57 mpg in summer.

when i read these posts about fuel economy when people compare to diesel etc..... not many mention that the prius is in fact an automatic as well. so now u find me an automatic diesel which will give 50+ mpg ....... :

now u find me an automatic diesel which will give 50+ mpg ....... :

Citroen C4 2.0Hdi Auto

Urban 31MPG

Extra Urban 55.4MPG

Combined 42.8MPG

Ford Focus 2.0TDCi Auto

Urban 36.2MPG

Extra Urban 60.0MPG

Combined 48.6MPG

BMW 1 Series Combined figures

118d 52.3MPG

120d 52.3MPG

Those look like auto diesels that can return 50+ MPG

now u find me an automatic diesel which will give 50+ mpg ....... :

Citroen C4 2.0Hdi Auto

Urban 31MPG

Extra Urban 55.4MPG

Combined 42.8MPG

Ford Focus 2.0TDCi Auto

Urban 36.2MPG

Extra Urban 60.0MPG

Combined 48.6MPG

BMW 1 Series Combined figures

118d 52.3MPG

120d 52.3MPG

Those look like auto diesels that can return 50+ MPG

Yes, those are impressive figures.....

prius is automatic AND DOES 55MPG+ IN TOWN. Try to match that love....

This is where it gaines value. If you intend to use your car mainly on the motorways than go for a diesel- it wins hats down.

Yes the Prius wins there is no other automatic transmission car that has an urban figure of 55+ MPG. There are plenty of cars that will cost you £8,000 less than the Prius and give urban figures in the 40MPG range. If you drive in town most of the time and can save £8,000 in running costs over the life of the car then the Prius is the car to buy.

I guess that is why Toyota have everything from an Aygo to a Landcruiser available to their customers, they know that everyone has different requirements. It also goes to show how difficult it is to make a car that is all things to all people.

Yes the Prius wins there is no other automatic transmission car that has an urban figure of 55+ MPG. There are plenty of cars that will cost you £8,000 less than the Prius and give urban figures in the 40MPG range. If you drive in town most of the time and can save £8,000 in running costs over the life of the car then the Prius is the car to buy.

I guess that is why Toyota have everything from an Aygo to a Landcruiser available to their customers, they know that everyone has different requirements. It also goes to show how difficult it is to make a car that is all things to all people.

Your point is valid in regards to the cost of buying the Prius. But there is always the option to buy one second hand and you will reduce that price difference to other models. The reliability should be second to none so it is a matter of budget and taste. And the current trend for increased fuel prices will work in the favour of the Prius owners(there are no winners but you can reduce your cost).

• 3 weeks later...

The Mitsubishi i (torque convertor) automatic petrol engine does 52.3 MPG in Urban cycle

http://www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk/i/specifications.asp

and is half the price of the Toyota, so 3 MPG difference can be clawed back from the initial purchase price of the car

I'm not saying it's a better car, just that it might possibly be more economical

...back on track :rolleyes: The point I was making was the almost 100mpg I was averaging that day and not my almost 56mpg overall.

• 3 months later...
so now u find me an automatic diesel which will give 50+ mpg ....... :

It's coming..................The 2009 Avensis ;)

Kingo :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links