Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Caravan Mirrors

dec123

Hello - I'm hoping that someone can offer advice on which towing mirrors to use. I can see there are various threads on the subject.

I have recently bought a new 2008 RAV4 Xtr 2.2D to replace a 2005 Xtr 2.0D.

The mirrors I had worked fine on the old RAV but when I use them on the new one they fold in at anything above 50 mph.

Reading various caravan forums they suggest that legislation on newer vehicles covering mirrors says they must fold easier.

Does anyone out there suffer a similar issue with a RAV of this age ?

Does Toyota suggest a towing mirror that is suitable and will not fold at speed ?

Hello - I'm hoping that someone can offer advice on which towing mirrors to use. I can see there are various threads on the subject.

The mirrors I had worked fine on the old RAV but when I use them on the new one they fold in at anything above 50 mph.

Reading various caravan forums they suggest that legislation on newer vehicles covering mirrors says they must fold easier.

Does Toyota suggest a towing mirror that is suitable and will not fold at speed ?

Very timely post I also have a RAV 4 XTR 2007 and also require mirrors

I am considering the suction (suck it and see) type so they are adjustable.

Very timely post I also have a RAV 4 XTR 2007 and also require mirrors

I am considering the suction (suck it and see) type so they are adjustable.

Just to make up a trio, I also have a 2007 XTR and am faced with the same problem. I did look in a caravan dealer shop the other day, and could see nothing that was really suitable. I have heard that the suction ones could put too much pressure on the adjustment mechanism thus busting the motor. Also with Rav Mirrors costing close to £200, and the possible damage to bodywork, an expensive job could be involved. When I towed with a Renault Scenic RX4 I used a concave stick on on the corner of my fixed mirrors. It was not ideal, but no big problem. Is there any possibility of fixing a rear view camera at the back of the caravan; a bit pricey I bet. !!!

Just to make up a trio, I also have a 2007 XTR and am faced with the same problem. I did look in a caravan dealer shop the other day, and could see nothing that was really suitable. I have heard that the suction ones could put too much pressure on the adjustment mechanism thus busting the motor. Also with Rav Mirrors costing close to £200, and the possible damage to bodywork, an expensive job could be involved. When I towed with a Renault Scenic RX4 I used a concave stick on on the corner of my fixed mirrors. It was not ideal, but no big problem. Is there any possibility of fixing a rear view camera at the back of the caravan; a bit pricey I bet. !!!

Mmmm there are wireless ones available I wonder what the range is. There is this post http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...8&hl=camera that gives food for thought.

Mmmm there are wireless ones available I wonder what the range is. There is this post http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...8&hl=camera that gives food for thought.

Nipped out to garage to check box which I still have. It says its suitable for all cars, Suv's, Motorhomes and delivery vehicles.

So I guess yes would be the answer to signal strength question. A possible downside, if you are having it on permanently.

Being a radio signal it does pick up interference and gets brief fuzzy moments. :thumbsup:

I've got Milenco Aero mirrors on mine. They always get a good write up in the different magazine tests and I've had no problems with vibration, no marks or damage to the car mirror cowl from fitting etc. Found the gap at the top of the car mirror glass and cowl was a bit tight so I swopped them over and mount them on the bottom where it's wider. You don't want the stick on or rubber band fixings as the OE mirrors give a real good field of view and you don't want to obstruct that, even with 7'6" vans, the towing mirrors are just for that little bit extra view.

aero1.jpg

Don't know where the folding bit mentioned comes in, if the towers are fixed to the vehicle mirror securely the whole lot folds, don't think the new e mark spec added anything to that part. Another part says you should be able to alter them from the driving position that's why you don't see the old wing mounted ones anymore.

I've got Milenco Aero mirrors on mine. They always get a good write up in the different magazine tests and I've had no problems with vibration, no marks or damage to the car mirror cowl from fitting etc. Found the gap at the top of the car mirror glass and cowl was a bit tight so I swopped them over and mount them on the bottom where it's wider. You don't want the stick on or rubber band fixings as the OE mirrors give a real good field of view and you don't want to obstruct that, even with 7'6" vans, the towing mirrors are just for that little bit extra view.

aero1.jpg

Don't know where the folding bit mentioned comes in, if the towers are fixed to the vehicle mirror securely the whole lot folds, don't think the new e mark spec added anything to that part. Another part says you should be able to alter them from the driving position that's why you don't see the old wing mounted ones anymore.

Thanks Bezzer

Yes thanks Bezzer will get those. Now flat or concave or one of each decisions decisions :unsure:

Thanks, I was hoping someone who actually uses a particular mirror would reply :thumbsup:

Using my existing mirrors it is the whole lot that folds, my RAV has electrically folding mirrors so dont know if that is a factor as well.

Now I need to do some more surfing to find the cheapest Aero ones so that I have enough money left to buy some diesel to tow with :crybaby:

Go for the Milenco mirrors.They are the best available i think,i have no vibration on them as the go on mirrors using thumb screws.They will cost you about £32 the pair and can be got on line

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links