Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Noisey D4d Engine Only When Cold?

raptor1

Hi Wonder if anyone can help or advise.

I have recently purchased a avensis t spirit 2l diesel with 41k on the clock.

When I start the car the engine sounds fine but as i put it under pressure pulling away i hear a sound that i can only describe as a tappet rattling. it sort of goes after about 2k revs, but then returns in the next gear below 2k revs. Once the engine is warm its fine, its not there at all.

Is this normal?

If not any ideas, it had a full Mr T service at 40k

Thamks

Trev

Hi Wonder if anyone can help or advise.

I have recently purchased a avensis t spirit 2l diesel with 41k on the clock.

When I start the car the engine sounds fine but as i put it under pressure pulling away i hear a sound that i can only describe as a tappet rattling. it sort of goes after about 2k revs, but then returns in the next gear below 2k revs. Once the engine is warm its fine, its not there at all.

Is this normal?

If not any ideas, it had a full Mr T service at 40k

Thamks

Trev

hi

throw yr currrent injectors tips away and install new ones.

After you will forget this problem

cheers/Igor

thanks for the reply

you say injector tips, are these likely to be expensive? I have a 12 month toyota warranty on it, should it done under warranty?

thanks for the reply

you say injector tips, are these likely to be expensive? I have a 12 month toyota warranty on it, should it done under warranty?

Hello Raptor (and Igor too....thought you might reply to this one!!!!!)

Go to page 7 of this forum and read my previous entry "Acceleration Rattle". Thanks to Igor and others,I confidently approached my Local Mr.T, who promptly told me that my injectors were at fault, and changed them under warranty.

Lo and behold, they have only succeeded in moving this rattle slightly further up the rev range, and I will be returning my 2.2 D-4D

to them for further investigation.(2006 and 19k)

I am assured by Mr. T's service department this is one very expensive warranty claim, so get in there and moan !!!!!!!

Regards,

Big Kev

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, just a quick update and some advice please

took my 2005 2lt d4d for mot today, explained about the rattle when cold, was told it could be injectors, 'they do that and are fine'. when i called back to pick up i was told that as engine was hot when i got there so they could not test.

i read on another thread that the d4d engine is noisey when cold, just want to be sure i am right on pusuing the injector thing, as i feel they are fobbing me off

thanks

Hi, just a quick update and some advice please

took my 2005 2lt d4d for mot today, explained about the rattle when cold, was told it could be injectors, 'they do that and are fine'. when i called back to pick up i was told that as engine was hot when i got there so they could not test.

i read on another thread that the d4d engine is noisey when cold, just want to be sure i am right on pusuing the injector thing, as i feel they are fobbing me off

thanks

hi

another problem might be with injection timing.

i am not talking about electrical control problems.

cheers

Igor

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links