Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mfd Screen Dies On '04 Massive Bill Awaits

betty

Hi I have searched but can find no record of any other posts regarding this. My 04's screen has died, after internet research, this is apparently a common problem on 04-05 models. After much discussion with Toyota uk they admit it is a manufacturing defect but refuse to issue a warranty extension. The bill after their so called goodwill payment is £1,200.00 to have it replaced. If anyone else in uk has same problem I would like to hear from them. The signs are the screen freezing, saying audio off when it is on and check connection to A/C.

Hi I have searched but can find no record of any other posts regarding this. My 04's screen has died, after internet research, this is apparently a common problem on 04-05 models. After much discussion with Toyota uk they admit it is a manufacturing defect but refuse to issue a warranty extension. The bill after their so called goodwill payment is £1,200.00 to have it replaced. If anyone else in uk has same problem I would like to hear from them. The signs are the screen freezing, saying audio off when it is on and check connection to A/C.

Betty,I found this.Probably too late to help but....

http://bobcowart.blogspot.com/2008/05/priu...lay-update.html

Thanks Don21, I am aware of this as have been conversing with others in US on the Priuschat forum. If I get no further with Toyota I am intending to repair it myself, well will take it out and get a computer shop to solder it for me! I really have nothing to loose, it does not work anyway, and apparently according to others who have done it in the US it is relatively easy.

Thanks Don21, I am aware of this as have been conversing with others in US on the Priuschat forum. If I get no further with Toyota I am intending to repair it myself, well will take it out and get a computer shop to solder it for me! I really have nothing to loose, it does not work anyway, and apparently according to others who have done it in the US it is relatively easy.

The internet indeed is a wonderful thing Betty,I for one do not know how we ever managed without it.You may want to google bba-reman.As I have said I am in the trade and have used that company for parts myself.They provide good service.Alternatively find a good Auto electrician in your area and show him the link to the fault.Any good spark worth his salt will be able to sort it.Whatever happens it is going to cost you but knowledge means it should now cost you much less.Good luck

• 3 weeks later...

I've persevered with a dying mfd for a year, having been told by my Toyota garage that it wasn't covered by the warranty. This was particularly infuriating because it was just outside the 3-year warranty. I was told it would cost £2,000 but made a "goodwill" offer of £1000. Too much! I refused. The problem was intermittent then, now the mfd is dead. I raised the mfd problem again after my hybrid Battery died (fortunately whilst in my garage's hands when doing 66k mile service - this was replaced under warranty) and this time was offered a "goodwill" offer of £800. I intend to keep pressing for a better deal than this and feel more optimistic having read the US PriusChat forum, we can win the argument that the mfd should be covered under the extended hybrid warranty and/or the cost of replacement or repair (probably just a solder problem) should be no more than £100 for a component like this.

Toyota clearly doesn't consider the mfd problem to be a cause for concern on safety grounds, although my garage told me that the car died in the road while when the hybrid Battery went dead during a road test. Could have been nasty. If I could have seen my hybrid monitor, I would surely have had some warning that the Battery was not charging properly. I also argued with Toyota that the mfd is not just a dashboard ornament, but is actually useful for maximising fuel economy and therefore should be considered to be part and parcel of the hybrid system that's covered by extended warranty. Who else considers the energy monitor is more than ornament?

I don't know much about Prii yet as my new company one isn't due for a coupla months yet, but surely the MFD is an integral part of the cars controls? heating and ventilation, radio controls, energy monitor, all controlled through the MFD, I don't understand how Mr T can say its not covered cos its not that important.

Of course if I am talking rubbish just tell me......I'll get me coat.

If Toyota have admitted it's a known manufacturing default then you have 6 years in Law to seek redress from the time of purchase (if you bought it new).

Print off all the info from the web, this helps prove your case that there is a manufacturing defect.

Tell them that this is a known issue and you have proof of others with the same fault. Assert that the issue was there at the time of manufacture/delivery and therefore you have 6 years under UK law to seek redress.

If you have to then pay for the repair "under protest" if they refuse to pay up then tell them you are going to contact your local trading standards office and issue legal proceedings for which you will claim interest and costs plus damages as the Court sees fit. If you bought the car new tell the supplying dealer that you will be issuing proceedings agains them too.

You can issuue claims online these days at moneyclaim online and it costs no more to issue proceedings against 2 defendants.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Huw, I was begining to think I was all alone with my MFD problems in the uk :unsure: After reading your post I just now hope my Battery will not be failing as well. I too refused Toyota's offer, which was totally unacceptable in my opinion as it is a manufacturing fault. I do intend to take this further but am a little pressed at work at the moment with no light at the end of the tunnel until Oct!! I have though contacted Watchdog who are on their summer break and would ask if you would consider doing the same, a little bad publicity for Toyota may help our case?

Diverse, I am considering trading standards but i did not buy my prius new it was six months old when I got it, so whether I will have a case we will find out later in the year.

If after I get going with this in October and eventually if I get no joy, I will be taking it out and having it repaired myself, at my local computer shop, I think I have nothing to loose and only £1,200.00 to gain ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links