Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris Handbrake Fault

jo3005

Hey,

Can anyone help.

I collected my 08 Auris in March. after 8 weeks of it being great a problem occured! My vehilce was parked outisde my house with the handbrake ON! It decided to roll down the hill into a wall. Thank god no1 was hurt.

After a week of trying to contact my dealer Toyota GB got involved. They cliam the handbrake was not to manufactures standard however it was still legal. They have replaced the parts and now state it's ready to be collcted. I'm not happy and want a new car.

has anyone heard of this or similar faults?

a few people have mentioned a few things, one is that the auris has disc brakes front and rear as if the handbrake is applied to a hot disc, when the disc contracts the braking force will be reduced. the second is that due to the arm rest and the shape of the hand brake some people have struggled to apply it with the required force.

after having a vauxhall for 3 years before my auris which had a none existent hand brake i have got into the habit of leaving all cars in gear.

Quite common issue with many cars (Honda, Vauxhall etc). Search the forum.

after having a vauxhall for 3 years before my auris which had a none existent hand brake i have got into the habit of leaving all cars in gear.

I think driver education, and manufacturers in general need to promote that this is the only way to safely park any car.

When I learnt to drive there was no mention of leaving a car in gear when parked, "after all that's what the handbrake is for"! Once I'd passed my test my Dad hammered home that I should always leave the car parked, handbrake applied, and in gear. That was 20 years ago!

Having watched a Mercedes parked with childeren inside it go rolling down my parents road (the handbrake was applied, just that the discs cooled after driving), and a Mondeo roll down a neighbours drive and then mount a wall and hang across my parents driveway, there is good reason to put the car in to gear when parked.

Serioulsy if you are not in the habit of leaving your car in gear when parked, please try and get in to the habit.

leave it in gear when parked especially parked on a hill...

i used to forget i left the car in gear in my yaris, then the car would chugg., but the auris you have to start up with the clutch down down anyway, and you normally leave your foot to select gear once you started up the car, its a really easy habit to get into when you have to start up with clutch down.

Can anyone help.

My vehilce was parked outisde my house with the handbrake ON! It decided to roll down the hill into a wall.

Two things which you would have covered in your driver training.

1;

Highway Code Rule 252

Parking on hills. If you park on a hill you should:

park close to the kerb and apply the handbrake firmly

select a forward gear and turn your steering wheel away from the kerb when facing uphill

select reverse gear and turn your steering wheel towards the kerb when facing downhill

use ‘park’ if your car has an automatic gearbox

2;

dg_070549.jpg

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

I'm not happy and want a new car

Funniest thing I've read on here for ages lol3.gif

As various people have said ALWAYS park with the car in gear, this is one of the first things i was taught during my advanced training.

Same here and the funny part was my dad never used to do it and neither me in the beginning but then I don't remember why I started using it in gear specially in uphill or downhill terrains. So it was a piece of cake to adapt to the Auris clutch down to start it up. But I have to say not so many people do it. But I always had this habit specially the last few years.

Can anyone help.

My vehilce was parked outisde my house with the handbrake ON! It decided to roll down the hill into a wall.

Two things which you would have covered in your driver training.

1;

Highway Code Rule 252

Parking on hills. If you park on a hill you should:

park close to the kerb and apply the handbrake firmly

select a forward gear and turn your steering wheel away from the kerb when facing uphill

select reverse gear and turn your steering wheel towards the kerb when facing downhill

use ‘park’ if your car has an automatic gearbox

2;

dg_070549.jpg

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

I'm not happy and want a new car

Funniest thing I've read on here for ages lol3.gif

I don't understand this, why would anyone leaves a car only with a handbrake on?

To this day, I always parked my cars on hills exactly like T V O R posted. Isn't that something everyone does, should, know? :huh:

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I am new to the forum but an owner for many years. I took delivery of my auris last october and the brakes have squealed since that day. :angry:

I had the first service in March and was told my spares are on back order, and would be a short while.

Well today is the 20th August and I have not yet had the parts and I no longer have the use of the car as its rolled down a road and through someones wall :( :angry::angry:

I did put the brake on i do make sure. I am really concerned as it seems there are many peaple having issues of this nature, but not alot is bieng done :angry:

I now have a bill for my excess, I have to sort out my nieghbours wall, and feelings somehow. What an ownership privelidge.....

could winge more but ran out of enthusiasm.

Hi All,

I am new to the forum but an owner for many years. I took delivery of my auris last october and the brakes have squealed since that day. :angry:

I had the first service in March and was told my spares are on back order, and would be a short while.

Well today is the 20th August and I have not yet had the parts and I no longer have the use of the car as its rolled down a road and through someones wall :( :angry::angry:

I did put the brake on i do make sure. I am really concerned as it seems there are many peaple having issues of this nature, but not alot is bieng done :angry:

I now have a bill for my excess, I have to sort out my nieghbours wall, and feelings somehow. What an ownership privelidge.....

I have always parked the car in gear, even on level ground. Excessive i know, but it has become a habit and it does no harm. :thumbsup:

For your squealy brake, mine and alot of other's had the same. Mine was fixed under warrantee and not a problem since.

• 1 month later...

:crybaby: Hi!

I am having problems with my Auris!!! Ive had the car 11months and had my car serviced at 10900! My car has now done 20200miles and was booked in to be serviced again. Only the hand brake failed and went rolling down the hill. Luckly no one was hurt! It hit a van and my car took all the damage broken bumper and tail light! I Phoned the dealer and they got in touch with Toyota GB and i have been with out my car for 2 weeks!! They did give me a courtsey car but i had to give that back and i am now with out a use of a car! They said my hand brake wasnt up to toyota standard but legal! Also they said i was over due for a service?? My car is now sat on the drive as its unsafe to drive. Any idea what my next step should be?? as toyota is saying the dealer has to deal with it and the dealer are saying toyota should deal with it!!!! I have read what other people have said about putting the car in to gear. Ive never had to put my Yaris in to gear parked on this hill and i never had to put my corolla in to gear either so what makes the auris any different?? something needs to be done before a serious accident happens!!!!

Don't know all the details of your case of course but I would have thought that, from the details you have provided, the legal position in principle was pretty clear. If you purchased the car from the dealer then they are liable in the first instance and responsible for any defects in the car - certainly if it's only 11 months old! Don't let them fob you off by saying it's down to Toyota GB.

The dealer has a legal obligation to provide something that is of merchantable quality and fit for purpose. If the dealer is, as a by product of the handbrake issue, having difficulties with Toyota GB then that is their problem and not one they should pass on to you.

I suspect that the real problem is that it might be difficult to prove that the handbrake is defective unless the fault is obvious or covered by a 'known issue' and the dealer is therefore reluctant to do any work on the handbrake. The comment that the handbrake isn't up to Toyota standards but is legal is rather stupid and ill considered and only serves to aggravate the issue with the customer.

If I were in your shoes my expectations would be that the dealer examines the handbrake for faults and checks for known issues. If there aren't any then I'd like to think the dealer might say so but point out that they have replaced parts of the handbrake as a goodwill gesture under warranty but I guess that would, to be fair, depend upon how much that costs the dealer versus keeping you on board as repeat business etc.

I hope you get it resolved anyway. Keep us posted on the forum. Maybe others with an Auris handbrake problem that got resolved could enlighten you.

I think driver education, and manufacturers in general need to promote that this is the only way to safely park any car.

When I learnt to drive there was no mention of leaving a car in gear when parked, "after all that's what the handbrake is for"! Once I'd passed my test my Dad hammered home that I should always leave the car parked, handbrake applied, and in gear. That was 20 years ago!

Having watched a Mercedes parked with childeren inside it go rolling down my parents road (the handbrake was applied, just that the discs cooled after driving), and a Mondeo roll down a neighbours drive and then mount a wall and hang across my parents driveway, there is good reason to put the car in to gear when parked.

Serioulsy if you are not in the habit of leaving your car in gear when parked, please try and get in to the habit.

The idiea to leave the car in gear is good and very common, especially if you parking your car at the hill. There is one more common way to protect your car from rolling down. You just have to turn steering wheel towards the wall or kerb so if the car will start to roll down it simply will meet an obstacle at least it will not hurt the the people and will not hit the cars parking afront.

Be careful! :)

post-66935-1223030064_thumb.jpg

Don't know all the details of your case of course but I would have thought that, from the details you have provided, the legal position in principle was pretty clear. If you purchased the car from the dealer then they are liable in the first instance and responsible for any defects in the car - certainly if it's only 11 months old! Don't let them fob you off by saying it's down to Toyota GB.

The dealer has a legal obligation to provide something that is of merchantable quality and fit for purpose. If the dealer is, as a by product of the handbrake issue, having difficulties with Toyota GB then that is their problem and not one they should pass on to you.

I suspect that the real problem is that it might be difficult to prove that the handbrake is defective unless the fault is obvious or covered by a 'known issue' and the dealer is therefore reluctant to do any work on the handbrake. The comment that the handbrake isn't up to Toyota standards but is legal is rather stupid and ill considered and only serves to aggravate the issue with the customer.

If I were in your shoes my expectations would be that the dealer examines the handbrake for faults and checks for known issues. If there aren't any then I'd like to think the dealer might say so but point out that they have replaced parts of the handbrake as a goodwill gesture under warranty but I guess that would, to be fair, depend upon how much that costs the dealer versus keeping you on board as repeat business etc.

I hope you get it resolved anyway. Keep us posted on the forum. Maybe others with an Auris handbrake problem that got resolved could enlighten you.

Well after not having a car for 3 weeks i have decided just to claim on my insurance! Toyota GB are not talking to me and keep saying they will get back to me!!! The dealership is ignoring my calls !!!! What more can i do?? Ive feel very let down by them and as much as i love toyota cars this will be my final one and after hearing this my family and friends have decided not to get one either!!! Ive booked it in for a 20000mile service but have to go to the same dealer as i have taken 6 service plans with them! Did want to get rid of the car but will be losing alot of money so will have to stick with it for now:( Im also going to write to WHATCH DOG as it seems mine isnt the only case. I am deeply upset by all this but i just hope it doesnt happen to anyone else and it does cause a serious accident!!!

If you really do have an identifiable handbrake fault then the dealership cannot simply ignore you since they are trying to dodge their legal obligations. If I were you I would at least go down to your local Citizen's Advice Bureau to see what they say.

If you really do have an identifiable handbrake fault then the dealership cannot simply ignore you since they are trying to dodge their legal obligations. If I were you I would at least go down to your local Citizen's Advice Bureau to see what they say.

Well its booked in for a service on wednesday so will wait and see what they say. I cant talk to the dealership as he was so rude to me and to top it of they keep banging on that im over due for a service. Apparently when they do a 10000 service they dont actually check the handbarke!!! Even thougt Toyota GB said the dealership has no record on how much they adjusted it by so seems like evryones story is different. So to all car owners out there what ever you own when it goes in for a service just asked them to adjust the handbrake!!! It just makes me think what is the point of having a 10000 mile service? i might as well just taken it in for 20000 mile service.

• 4 weeks later...
Hey,

Can anyone help.

I collected my 08 Auris in March. after 8 weeks of it being great a problem occured! My vehilce was parked outisde my house with the handbrake ON! It decided to roll down the hill into a wall. Thank god no1 was hurt.

After a week of trying to contact my dealer Toyota GB got involved. They cliam the handbrake was not to manufactures standard however it was still legal. They have replaced the parts and now state it's ready to be collcted. I'm not happy and want a new car.

has anyone heard of this or similar faults?

hi how are you the very same thing happened me i brought in my nanas shopping which took me about 10 miinutes and the

car was perfect then someone knocked on the door it was at the other side of the road against the wall

it cost 2000 euro to fix and i lost my no claims bonus ovewr it and i know i had the handbrake on i just never

thought to get it checked with manufacturer at the time :o

Hi All,

hi my brakes also squeled since the day i got it but i was just told thats its over the new car

never had a new one before so i was none the wiser and they still squek now not as much but still at times

and i also had the prolom with the handbrake i am really starting ti think this is a manufacters fault

i went in and out of the house loads of times as i was taking in my nanas shopping this was for about 10 minutes so

i know i had the handbrake on....and i was istting down when we got a knock on the door to know whpo owned the

car across the road against the wall thank god no one or anything else was damaged i only had the car 4 weeks

when this happened and all my family just laugh when i say i know i had the handbrake on....

but i cose 2000 euro for a new bumper and my insurance is sky high now as i lost 40% bonus!!!

i dont kknow if i would buy toyota again and i always did and all my family did!!!

Don't let them foll you that is a known problem from the Auris. They just have to check the database. I replaced parts in both front and rear already. Front still make a small noise when I break when he is warm I won't even mention that I'm ok with this. The annoying was really the rear and that is gone. About your frustration I completely understand you and I also think like you. This was my first Toyota but I always heard the good things about Toyota which in the Auris are just crap. I told the problems to a Alfa Romeo dealer the other day and he was way to surprised. As I said in another topic I hope I'm not being unfair but I blame entirely Toyota and the decision of R&D the car in Belgium. I believe this was the first "big" car R&D there the yaris was there but its a smaller car, more easy to R&D and with a less demanding crowd. Not the case of the Auris specially more or less replacing the famous Corolla. Still today I cannot understand why Toyota picked up Belgium as an R&D center they are good in chocolates and that's it. I don't want to offend anyone in Belgium but the truth is they don't have any history in car manufacturing.

By the way you should try and contact them using this mail at least they answer you so far they answered all my questions but I never complained about faults yet: cust.service@toyota-europe.com

Don't let them foll you that is a known problem from the Auris. They just have to check the database. I replaced parts in both front and rear already. Front still make a small noise when I break when he is warm I won't even mention that I'm ok with this. The annoying was really the rear and that is gone. About your frustration I completely understand you and I also think like you. This was my first Toyota but I always heard the good things about Toyota which in the Auris are just crap. I told the problems to a Alfa Romeo dealer the other day and he was way to surprised. As I said in another topic I hope I'm not being unfair but I blame entirely Toyota and the decision of R&D the car in Belgium. I believe this was the first "big" car R&D there the yaris was there but its a smaller car, more easy to R&D and with a less demanding crowd. Not the case of the Auris specially more or less replacing the famous Corolla. Still today I cannot understand why Toyota picked up Belgium as an R&D center they are good in chocolates and that's it. I don't want to offend anyone in Belgium but the truth is they don't have any history in car manufacturing.

By the way you should try and contact them using this mail at least they answer you so far they answered all my questions but I never complained about faults yet: cust.service@toyota-europe.com

thanks very much i will contact them and see how i get on, i beleive there is a problom with them lots of people have complaints

The problem with the Auris handbrake is it's position. If the driver is quite small and has the seat pulled forward the handbrake is not in an ideal position. When the handbrake is applied it has not been pulled right on. If you sit with the seat further back it's not a problem.

The problem with the Auris handbrake is it's position. If the driver is quite small and has the seat pulled forward the handbrake is not in an ideal position. When the handbrake is applied it has not been pulled right on. If you sit with the seat further back it's not a problem.

thanks a mill i sometimes say that you want the strenght of a man to putt he handbrake on properly!!!

and i am always running in and out if i think its parked on a bit of a hill as i am so nervous about it parked now!!

Have a word with your local Toyota garage i think that Toyota are aware and have some sort of fix. Obviously it can't be repositioned but i think new parts can be fitted so it doesn't need the same effort to apply.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi All!!!

Well after having had my car fixed i have been paranoid about parking my car out of gear! Guess what i was parked on a small incline and have just switched the engine off and took my foot of the brake and the car started moving backwards!!!! Cant say i didnt put handbrake on as i put handbrake on. switch of engine use both hands to pull hand brake. then move in to gear! I didnt get chance to move it in to gear before it started moving!!!! took it back to toyota and the say its on the 6th notch and they will adjust it to 4 so it will not be so hard for me to apply handbrake!!! They even said i had it on on the highest so how much more of the handbrake can i apply?? Im really at my wits what to do!!! any ideas?? :unsure:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links