Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Few Carina Problems...

barry d

Ok so here we go,

I have a carina e GS 1.8 estate p reg, with the 7a-fe engine,

Wont be getting it here till saturday so gives me some time to find out about some problems i have notcied with it,

1, My heaters do not work, the switch moves but nothing happens on any speeds, any one had this problem before, ( the previous owner has fitted a standard vauxhall head unit to it ....wtf

2, My radiator fan does not come on with the temperatur gauge, So im going to run it onto a switch on the dash. but just incase anyone knows why this wouldnt work, id be glad to hear it,

3, engine bay needs a good tidy up, as last owner bought a brand new throtle body from toyota and fitted it, now eerything else looks dirty, 165000 miles of dirty to be exact.

also might sound like a daft question, but tyre sizes...

i noticed on the car i bought, it has 175/70/ 14 on the front, but 185's on the back, whats the widest tyre i can put on the standard steel rims ( all will be reveled as to why i want the standard rims )

first things first, check all fuses. Is there any clicking noise when you use the heater switch?

If no then chances are it's electrical and you need to check if there is power getting to the switch.

If there's power getting there then it could be the heater motor which can be quite tricky to change. B)

Is your temp gauge reading normal? If so then again, it could be electrical. There is an electrical

sensor at the bottom of the radiator which gives a signal for the fan to kick in, if it's u/s then this

could be the prob. :rolleyes:

As for the engine bay, what i did was; went to Halfords got some liquid swarfega degreaser and a

1lt spray bottle, covered the alternator and distributor with plastic and doused everything in degreaser,

waited 10-20 mins then got the hose pipe with spray attachment on it, and wow what a difference

worked an absolute treat. After that got some Back to Black just to do the pipes and hoses.

The electrics are pretty good so no need to worry too much :)

And don't have a clue about the tyre's :unsure:

Try and get some b4 and after pics up of the engine bay too! Good luck with it all :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hey thanks for the reply, just back in country was on holiday,

Ok i have found a light thump of he heater motor seems to fix the problem, ie turn it on , So will be on the look out for one of those

The engine bay i havent even looked at yet, but there does seem to be a white elcetrical conector on the side of the engine, which seems a little melted,

right hand side looking in, about half way down the head, Could this be the culprit?

Also how do you bring the tick over up, as mine seems to tick over about 600 rpm and shudders on take off, unless you use more throtlle

Pics to follow

Hi barry, sounds like the melted connector could be at fault & mine ticks over at about 500rpm

which is about right, is it sparking correctly? plenty of fuel getting through the injectors? air filter clean?

without driving the car it's difficult to tell, perhaps someone else has some ideas. B)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links