Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Urgent T180 Owners

RaverT180

Hi Guys

Have pursued the issues of the run flat tyres on the T180 with Consumer Direct, who have in turn brought in the Trading Standards Office.

The "legal eagle" Clare Presland, is meeting with Trading Standard Officers tomorrow and has asked me to get in touch, through the forum and ask that other T180 owners contact her with regard to the run flat tyre scenario, thus enabling her to pass on all issues with the Trading Standards Officers. Her number is 01438 737460, alternatively, you can email her via

eecd@consumerdirect-eastofengland.gov.uk

Still heard nothing back from Toyota Customer Services, doing my best here guys, any support given is more power to our mutual elbow.

I would stress that she is meeting tomorrow with these guys, so if you can email her tonight or tomorrow a.s.a.p., or alternatively telephone her tomorrow this would be of great help to us all.

Sorry I have not passed this on sooner, but she only contacted me this evening with this latest news.

Clare asked what the position was concerning the warranty, I contacted my local Toyotal dealers and their service manager "would not recommend any change to tyres or rims; could possibly affect the warranty" This has been relayed to Consumer Direct.

Thanks and Regards

John

For information, the US spec 4.3 has a V6 with at least the same if not higher performance spec. It is fitted with standard wheels and tyres so unless European Legislation has some special requirement the "may affect warranty" line doesn't hold water.

Hi Guys

Have pursued the issues of the run flat tyres on the T180 with Consumer Direct, who have in turn brought in the Trading Standards Office.

The "legal eagle" Clare Presland, is meeting with Trading Standard Officers tomorrow and has asked me to get in touch, through the forum and ask that other T180 owners contact her with regard to the run flat tyre scenario, thus enabling her to pass on all issues with the Trading Standards Officers. Her number is 01438 737460, alternatively, you can email her via

Still heard nothing back from Toyota Customer Services, doing my best here guys, any support given is more power to our mutual elbow.

I would stress that she is meeting tomorrow with these guys, so if you can email her tonight or tomorrow a.s.a.p., or alternatively telephone her tomorrow this would be of great help to us all.

Sorry I have not passed this on sooner, but she only contacted me this evening with this latest news.

Clare asked what the position was concerning the warranty, I contacted my local Toyotal dealers and their service manager "would not recommend any change to tyres or rims; could possibly affect the warranty" This has been relayed to Consumer Direct.

Thanks and Regards

John

Hi Guys

Thanks and Regards

John

I have sent my details off to her.

I had a puncture 2 days ago and but for the fact that my local dealers had a new tyre on a spare wheel lying around in the back of their workshop, I would have been without a car. Tyres are on order but who knows how long they will be.

As the model has now been replaced how many dealers will bother to stock the tyres?

I am due to drive to Spain in September with two elderly In Laws (82 & 83) and the thought of a puncture in France or Spain fills me with dread! I do have a list of dealers in France and Spain who are supposed to be able to change these tyres, but if its almost impossible here what is it going to be like over there?

I have sent toyota my Invoice for the new tyre £190.00 and asked them to replace all tyres or wheels or both. This car has been nothing but trouble and this is the final straw! If i get no satisfaction in the next 7 days the car is going before they become unsaleable.

Only just seen this. What exactly does she want to know?

Hi,

Basically, just needs more complaints about this issue from other T180 owners. Something along the lines of I've got one can only get tyres replaced at a toyota dealer, exhorbitant costs, delays, having to travel to another toyota dealer if your local dealer hasn't got the necessary machinery or trained staff to fit this system etc, etc. Basically, just what your own personal experience has been. Could mention the probable impact on resale value.

FYI Pirelli do a "Scorpion Ice & Snow"tyre in the right size for 4x4s. Evidently its a reinforced tyre so will investigate this as an alternative. At £179 from Kwik Fit not exactly cheap but a damn sight better than the £364 I've just paid out!!

Regards

J

Hi Guys

Thanks and Regards

John

I had a puncture 2 days ago and but for the fact that my local dealers had a new tyre on a spare wheel lying around in the back of their workshop, I would have been without a car. Tyres are on order but who knows how long they will be.

As the model has now been replaced how many dealers will bother to stock the tyres?

I am due to drive to Spain in September with two elderly In Laws (82 & 83) and the thought of a puncture in France or Spain fills me with dread! I do have a list of dealers in France and Spain who are supposed to be able to change these tyres, but if its almost impossible here what is it going to be like over there?

I have sent toyota my Invoice for the new tyre £190.00 and asked them to replace all tyres or wheels or both. This car has been nothing but trouble and this is the final straw! If i get no satisfaction in the next 7 days the car is going before they become unsaleable.

Thanks Miked for following up with Consumer Direct. Think you got a very good deal at £190 or perhaps I got Sha*ted at £364 for a puncture, tyre didn't even deflate!! (new tyre, support ring and labour)

Good luck with Spain in September. Had the same dread each time I drove off the ferry @ Calais

Regards,

J

I've sent Clare a mail :)

Cheers Simon.

Thats 3 of us now complained. Lets hope there's more.

Happy motoring,

John :rolleyes:

Strangely, Bridgestone's website (http://www.runflat-system.com/product_en/index.html) states that the support ring run-flats were "Optional" on the RAV4 and not "Standard". Wished I had been offered the option.

And the website shows that it is only the RAV4 which has the support ring, other vehicles have the more conventional run-flats.

Did anyone raise the issue of the old scheme Toyota ran for repairing the run-flats, which was later withdrawn? I think that would demonstrate that Toyota were at one point as concerned as we are now.

I guess it's my old 1998 RAV4 STAX for driving off the beaten track from now on.

I assume you've all seen the latter end of the current thread "Swapping RFT for regular wheels" posted by Daisyfitz?

Regards

Peter

Hi Guys

Thanks and Regards

John

Thanks Miked for following up with Consumer Direct. Think you got a very good deal at £190 or perhaps I got Sha*ted at £364 for a puncture, tyre didn't even deflate!! (new tyre, support ring and labour)

Good luck with Spain in September. Had the same dread each time I drove off the ferry @ Calais

Regards,

J

There was no damage to the support ring which I understand would have been another £150. The dealer only charged for the tyre including VAT. No charge for fitting!. I think that they have made so much out of the warranty work on my car that they feel sorry for me. I should point out that I did not by the car from them ( Beadles of Maidstone ) but they have been more than helpful.

The fitter who changed the tyre advised that he holds the record for the fastest change of the these run flats in a time of 1 hour 5 minutes! He is the only one who can change them at the dealership so I think I will take him on holday with me.

Their manager is looking fully into the position regarding replacement tyres etc and will come back to me in a couple of days. In the meantime I have written to Toyota Customer Services, who have a very fat file on me already, sending them the Invoice for the Tyre and asking for the loan of a spare wheel and tyre to be arranged for while I drive to Spain. I feel sure some news channel would like the tale of me breaking down in France with two eighty year olds in tow and not being able to get a puncture repaired for a top of the range car from the worlds biggest car manufacturer!

In the meantime I am continuing to look for another car. Anyone want a secondhand T 180 that is now running perfectly for the first time in 15 months?

A sad and dillusioned Miked

Hi Guys

Thanks and Regards

John

Regards,

J

There was no damage to the support ring which I understand would have been another £150. The dealer only charged for the tyre including VAT. No charge for fitting!. I think that they have made so much out of the warranty work on my car that they feel sorry for me. I should point out that I did not by the car from them ( Beadles of Maidstone ) but they have been more than helpful.

The fitter who changed the tyre advised that he holds the record for the fastest change of the these run flats in a time of 1 hour 5 minutes! He is the only one who can change them at the dealership so I think I will take him on holday with me.

Their manager is looking fully into the position regarding replacement tyres etc and will come back to me in a couple of days. In the meantime I have written to Toyota Customer Services, who have a very fat file on me already, sending them the Invoice for the Tyre and asking for the loan of a spare wheel and tyre to be arranged for while I drive to Spain. I feel sure some news channel would like the tale of me breaking down in France with two eighty year olds in tow and not being able to get a puncture repaired for a top of the range car from the worlds biggest car manufacturer!

In the meantime I am continuing to look for another car. Anyone want a secondhand T 180 that is now running perfectly for the first time in 15 months?

Just to add the up todate position.

I have today been contacted by the Consumer Direct East England and asked to provide a formal written complaint, which I have done on their website. I advised Toyota Customer Services that the matter was now in the hands of the Government backed Consumer watchdog and the Trading Standards Authority. I suggested that a magnanimous gesture at this stage by Toyota may avert some bad publicity and a lot of paperwork in having to deal with a government backed department.

I will keep you updated.

Miked

Hi Guys

Thanks and Regards

John

Regards,

J

Just to add the up todate position.

I have today been contacted by the Consumer Direct East England and asked to provide a formal written complaint, which I have done on their website. I advised Toyota Customer Services that the matter was now in the hands of the Government backed Consumer watchdog and the Trading Standards Authority. I suggested that a magnanimous gesture at this stage by Toyota may avert some bad publicity and a lot of paperwork in having to deal with a government backed department.

I will keep you updated.

Miked

Hi Miked

Sorry I've not been back before, but have been away for a few days. Well done, respec. I have a feeling that Toyota UK are aware of the situation. Funnily enough, at the end of last week I received, as you would expect, a plocatory letter from them, saying that this is basically a great innovation to safety and Bridgestone, as we are aware, through the kind offices of Kirk, are expanding the network of dealers who can fit/repair these one-off RFT tyres. They also told me that the price of the tyres was "in the region of approx £170, but can vary from centre to centre".

From my experience, there appears to be an absence of VAT and labour, not to mention the ring, if you or your local Toyota deem that it should be replaced! I have to get back to an Essex County Council Trading Standards Officer, who contacted me today, and additionally, ironically referred me to this website!!!

Additionally, Toyota have said "quite simply, your RAV4T180 has been homoligated into the United Kingdom with run flat tyres and, as a responsible manufacturer; (think they meant comma) we would be unable to agree to change the standard specification. If we did, there would be product liability implications and moral obligations as run flat tyres are deemed to be the safest tyres you can fit."

As it stands there is a another issue raised in their letter which where they may be worried over product liability, they could be in serious s**t regarding personal injury and liability claims. I will inform you further on this when I've spoken to Essex Trading Standards and Bridgestone.

Very best regards, hope you get things sorted out before September.

John

Hi Guys

Thanks and Regards

John

Regards,

J

Hi Miked,

If its any consolation due to go down to the Loire valley in October with friends for a week's carp fishing. Plan was to take my car and trailer (as we did with my old 4.2) but these crap Toyota/Bridgestone tyres have, now that I know the full S.P., forced us to change ferry booking so using mates Volvo and his trailer instead.

This is just plain stupid. You are loyal to a manufacturer for years, sing their praises to mates and now you are scared to set tyre outside the UK. Will either keep a special fund for tyres and run this 180 into the ground or out it at the earliest opportunity fat chance given the current economical climate. Would prefer to have the nu Citroen/Renault/ Mitsi suv at least you anticipate problems but pay less. U just don't expect worries when you have had toyotas in the past.

Best regards

John

Hi Guys

Thanks and Regards

John

Regards,

J

Hi Miked,

If its any consolation due to go down to the Loire valley in October with friends for a week's carp fishing. Plan was to take my car and trailer (as we did with my old 4.2) but these crap Toyota/Bridgestone tyres have, now that I know the full S.P., forced us to change ferry booking so using mates Volvo and his trailer instead.

This is just plain stupid. You are loyal to a manufacturer for years, sing their praises to mates and now you are scared to set tyre outside the UK. Will either keep a special fund for tyres and run this 180 into the ground or out it at the earliest opportunity fat chance given the current economical climate. Would prefer to have the nu Citroen/Renault/ Mitsi suv at least you anticipate problems but pay less. U just don't expect worries when you have had toyotas in the past.

Best regards

John

Just want to say a little tip here...If replying to a topic you don't necessarily need all the other topics included..some of them can contain 10 topics and gets a bit clogged up, also makes it harder to read who has said what etcetera....

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Just want to say a little tip here...If replying to a topic you don't necessarily need all the other topics included..some of them can contain 10 topics and gets a bit clogged up, also makes it harder to read who has said what etcetera....

Especially if someone sticks their input in the middle of a quoted bit

See what I mean ;)

Especially if someone sticks their input in the middle of a quoted bit

See what I mean ;)

No...

Sorry Hoovie, I couldn't resist! :lol:

I have just returned from holiday and just want to express my thanks to all those T180'ers who are proactively looking to do something regarding the RFT situation.

You have my 100% backing and if i am able to help in anyway just let me know.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links