Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear Seat Adjustment

dinahmare

We have a new 2008 RAV4 and want to find some way to adjust the rear seat. Recently, we had friends and then a few days later some older relatives in the back seat. Both times we were traveling about an hour. Both parties were quite polite but it was clear they were really uncomfortable in the rear seat. My boss has a 2007 RAV and recently I was with her and rode in the back. Seemed fine to me and I wondered why the aforementioned parties were so clearly distressed in my car.

We put the cars side by side and the 2007 definitely has rear seats installed at an angle that is not as steep as the 2008. I also struck up a conversation with a woman in the grocery store parking lot who had a 2008 and she is having the same problem as I. She has made the hour long trip down to the dealer who told her there was nothing that could be done about it.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? I'm wondering if there is a work around of some sort.

BTW, does the 2007 have that automatic pull down lever that is accessible from the rear hatch? Its for lowing the rear seats. I'm wondering if the seat backs are installed so straight to facilitate the use of this lever.

Thanks!

:huh:

Yes, mine has the easy :rolleyes: levers at the back, it also has D type rings on the outer corner of the seat backs.

Pull them forward to release the seat catch and you should be able to move the seat backs through quite a range of seat back angles! When you're happy with the angle, release the D rings and make sure the seat clicks in postion. :thumbsup:

I use this to get the correct seat angle for my lads child seat and also to adjust the "tension" in the flexible luggage cover.

I guess on US models the rear seats move backwards and forwards to a limited extent like the Euro models, so you'll know about that too.

You're dealer........ needs to do his homework better! :wacko:

:huh:

Yes, mine has the easy :rolleyes: levers at the back, it also has D type rings on the outer corner of the seat backs.

Pull them forward to release the seat catch and you should be able to move the seat backs through quite a range of seat back angles! When you're happy with the angle, release the D rings and make sure the seat clicks in postion. :thumbsup:

I use this to get the correct seat angle for my lads child seat and also to adjust the "tension" in the flexible luggage cover.

I guess on US models the rear seats move backwards and forwards to a limited extent like the Euro models, so you'll know about that too.

You're dealer........ needs to do his homework better! :wacko:

Thanks for the info but I must be clueless. I can't find anything that will move these seats. I have the plain ole 4cylinder RAV -- maybe yours is fancier? And I have actually read the manual and see no reference to what you are describing. I'm really hoping you're right and I'm just inept.

My apologises to the owner of this car for using her picture without asking first but it was the only one I could find at short notice. This is also an American RAV.

100_8829.jpg

Do you see the D ring handle on the corner of the seat back, (bottom right side of the picture) when the seat back is upright, pull that and the whole seat back will move a few degrees back, unless has you say your car isn't fitted with them.

This photo from a Canadian review shows under the seat the rails the rear seats slid back and forth on and you can just see the handle for moving them.

Hope all this helps :thumbsup:

EDIT:

Sorry the original photo has disappeared :unsure:

Anyway here is another photo and you can just see the "back and forth" handle under the seat :thumbsup:

IMG_0232.JPG

By the way, the best way to adjust the back rest angle is pull the handle with one hand and gently push the seat back back with the other hand :thumbsup:

Just ripped this from a Nov 2005 test of one of the very first US spec 4.3's fitted with the 2.4 4cyl engine.

"The rear seat folds and splits 60:40, slides back and forth, reclines and can be folded to reveal a vast boot that will swallow a pair of bikes."

In this photo, you can see the D handle just behind the seat belt on the top left side of the picture.

20366116102.jpg

Has it got 3rd row seats or not? The spec may have changed but here are the instructions from the US handbook for both types;

reubikatsUS-1.jpg

As Fuj says the seat rake will adjust backwards so you can recline the rear seats in the same way as the fronts. On a 3rd row option this may be limited so you will have to test!

Good luck.

What a great bunch of folks!!! I want to thank you SO much for the pictures and the comments. I don't think I would have figured it out myself and I'm fairly handy with this and that although you would be well justified in wondering about that statement.

But remember, when I called the dealer first, their response was come in and we'll take a look at it. Right.

And then there's the woman who did take hers to the dealer and was told "it is what it is". :unsure:

What really helped for me was the comment about pulling the lever forward and gently pushing back. I guess I didn't expect that lever to have dual functionality.

Insert red (but HAPPY) face here!

My pleasure! :D

Really happy that it all worked for you and I hope all your passenger's can now travel in true RAV comfort :yahoo:

Dealers.......par, what do they know about our cars! :angry:

• 2 weeks later...

dearie me hen;

ye shuid rip the back seats oot an gie yer pals the bus ticket tae mak their ain way hame!

Rear seat can be used for more than sitting on! :naughty::naughty: :lol2: :lol2:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links