Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Heeeeelppppp!

Lee_G

Hi guys in desperate need of some advice.

Went to clean the car yesterday and to my horrro my typhoon pipe has a 1" wide hole where the braket was holding it in!!!! Looking over some of the posts this apparently is not uncommon!

My dilemma is that I have since had to fit the original airbox and pipework but the damm engine management light has decided to make an appearence....

I've got the car booked in at Mr T today but would love to be able to sort this out myself.

Any ideas....it was a little confusing initially putting the vacume hoses back but i am now confident there all in the right place!!!!

Any ideas????

n635441783_1085286_2034.jpg

jesus H

had heard about this but the first id seen it personally , try contacting both k and n and the place where you got it with all the photos etc , should not have done that

jesus H

had heard about this but the first id seen it personally , try contacting both k and n and the place where you got it with all the photos etc , should not have done that

i've already sent them a mail and gonna follow up with a phone call soon - trouble is i need the car for work and have to now payout for toyota to do something - (prob not much) to fix the engine managment light...ahhhhh!

disconnect the Battery negative for 10 mins , usually kills the lights

sure everything is plugged in , plumbed up ok , all wires still connected at the maf plug

is it in limp mode ?

yikes, nothing made it into the engine did it?!

thanks fellas.

Its gone to Mr T now so hopefully gonna make it all better.

I had all the MAF wires done a while back due to the lack of movement in the loom so no problems there. Unless the MAF sensor is poo poo'd i couldnt see what it could be.

As i said before im pretty confident the vacume hoses are all ok but then again you could probably run the car without em anyway. Whats a new MAS/MAF these days? :unsure:

The irony of this though is im gonna pay toyota to fix it, then take it all back out for a new intake ;) if and when i get somewhere with the supplier.

Ill keep ya posted....

Lee

apparently I need new MAS/MAF sensor @ £98, they said they hooked it up and it was reporting an ecu and MAF fault. They said they needed to replace the MAF before they could go any further???

any thoughts???

apparently I need new MAS/MAF sensor @ £98, they said they hooked it up and it was reporting an ecu and MAF fault. They said they needed to replace the MAF before they could go any further???

any thoughts???

Do you have a Toyota fault finding software/Ecu interface?

can u grab a MAF/ECU from another car/ebay/scrappy/3rd party shop - its gonna be cheaper and potentially easier to diagnose and fix first...

To be perfectly honest mate they're probably just after your money.

The exact same thing happened to my pipe and I've yet to fix it. lol. It has a temp fix on it... (so nothing can get in to the engine) If you still have the receipt K&N are happy to replace the pipe under their warranty as I asked them previously.

As for the CEL coming on, Just remove the 2 15amp fuses that are together in your fusebox for 10 seconds. This resets the ECU gets rid of any fault codes. My MAF is fine! and so has 90% of the people who this has happened to before been. (does that make sense?)

In any case, Hope you get it sorted mate. :thumbsup:

take it to a welding workshop, i was given my typhoon kit with the hole and i had my dads work colleauge weld it. im sure it couldnt b too expensive and its working well, or even try a technical college, they may be glad to help. just make sure its a aluminium welder they r using. do you still have the chunk that broke off?

The exact same thing happened to my pipe and I've yet to fix it. lol. It has a temp fix on it... (so nothing can get in to the engine) If you still have the receipt K&N are happy to replace the pipe under their warranty as I asked them previously.

As for the CEL coming on, Just remove the 2 15amp fuses that are together in your fusebox for 10 seconds. This resets the ECU gets rid of any fault codes. My MAF is fine! and so has 90% of the people who this has happened to before been. (does that make sense?)

Thanks for the advice which set of 15 amp fuses is it? the are two sets of 2.

Also do they have to be both out at the same time? (just dont wanna have to handle them with only 1 toyota fuse grabber available.

Cheers,

Thanks for the advice which set of 15 amp fuses is it? the are two sets of 2.

Also do they have to be both out at the same time? (just dont wanna have to handle them with only 1 toyota fuse grabber available.

Cheers,

Erm, My car isn't here at the minute, but... It's the 2 at the top of the box. If you get what I mean... Know what? Wait 10-15 minutes and I'll throw up a picture xD

I take both out at the same timas I can never remmeber which one is for the ECU. Just take one out for 10 secs, replace and do the same again. I think if you look at the underside of the cover it has a fuse layout and one should say ECU.

Thats the first thing i was gonna say was the maf sensor, soesnt take much for that to throw up a ecu light. scrappies are bound to sell you one cheaper than that lol

Right.

Not sure if ya can tell from this pic. lol.

These are the 2 I remove to reset the ECU. Ignore the fact I circled the green one, that has nothing to do with it.

Fuses1.jpg

This is madness, whats going on with the Typhoon on this car? I have had them on other cars and never seen any issues yet the CTS seems to be eating them! Lets hope for a sensible comment from the Yanks, however don't hold out much hope. This will be a real easy one to hide behind the "incorrectly fitted" excuse. But you never know :unsure:

I apologise if I'm wrong but all you guys who have been having problems with these brackets snapping, have you fitted the rubber bush to the bolt that holds the bracket to the body? Only, I looked at mine the other day and with the rubber fitted there is loads of free play so surely it shouldn't snap like that?.........

Rubber bush was fitted fine and had tons of play itself.

Heard a nice clunk when downshifting to third once and voila, nice big hole.

iv got the same problem with my k & n. hopefully im goin to get my mate to weld it all back in place. i never heard a clunk in mine but did the same as you cleane it n found !Removed! in it. got a zip tie holding round the bracket for now to make sure it doesnt come loose. ill let u kno howi get on with gettin it welded

you shouldnt expect quality from K&N - they've never been known for it.

time to get a proper CAI rather than gimmicky filters that suck in hot air?

Right.

Not sure if ya can tell from this pic. lol.

These are the 2 I remove to reset the ECU. Ignore the fact I circled the green one, that has nothing to do with it.

Fuses1.jpg

Ok, tried removing both fuses to no avail, still got a light show on my dash, Tried on a couple of occasions just to be sure.

Guess its gonna have to be a MR T on this occasion.

Will keep you posted.

Have to say i do love the typhoon for the audio but cant help thinking something like a pipercross would be so much better since it used a direct feed for the COLD air. Not the hot air around the engine as with the typhoon.

Cheers again guys.

had a reply from KnN who said they have never heard of any problems with the typhoon breaking!!!!!! yeah right ;)

They have asked me to send the pipe for inspection.....thing is do i really want a replacement.......

had a reply from KnN who said they have never heard of any problems with the typhoon breaking!!!!!! yeah right ;)

They have asked me to send the pipe for inspection.....thing is do i really want a replacement.......

Get the free replacement and then sell it and buy something not so prone to breaking ;)

Get the free replacement and then sell it and buy something not so prone to breaking ;)

suppose thats the best idea......they will probably only replace the pipe thouugh. Im not really that bothered now so long as my car gets sorted. :(

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links